1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Front winch with an intercooler? And a front receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 12:13 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Front winch with an intercooler? And a front receiver?

The patient: '96 F250, 4 door, auto trans, 4x4 with a D60 conversion.

I'd like to install an intercooler, a front mounted winch and also a front receiver hitch.

A winch can be attached to a receiver hitch as a 'plan B' solution.

But, I also want to install an intercooler as I have heavier (than empty) wind and weight loads planned.

I greatly appreciate your input and pictures of your solutions!!

Old 07-09-2017, 12:43 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LeoJr
The patient: '96 F250, 4 door, auto trans, 4x4 with a D60 conversion.

I'd like to install an intercooler, a front mounted winch and also a front receiver hitch.

A winch can be attached to a receiver hitch as a 'plan B' solution.

But, I also want to install an intercooler as I have heavier (than empty) wind and weight loads planned.

I greatly appreciate your input and pictures of your solutions!!
Well I dunno if this will be much help but their isnt a whole lot of room up there once you start thinking about a winch thats big enough to extract the truck and a intercooler. I wanted to keep my front receiver and my winch/winch bumper but physically they wanted to take up the same space. I'm sure getting creative you'll be able to come up w a solution. I still have my front reciever if you need it. I may even be able to dig up a pic or two of what it looked like mounted and could certainly take a few pics of the unit itself and provide dimensions if you need. As far as the intercooler goes I just cant bring myself to hack anything up to install it.. So, I dont have any experience in terms of that..

Old 07-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Lhornung
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure if this would work for what you are trying to accomplish, but I know many of the " front end replacement bumpers" sold today offer a built in receiver hitch. The ones we run sit plenty far out to not limit the intercooler install. All w do is wire them up to a plug for a winch and you are good to go. Just a thought.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:16 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I don't have an intercooler, but I have plenty of room for one. I would suggest an aftermarket winch bumper with an integrated front receiver. I welded a front receiver to the bottom of my winch bumper. It is quite handy

Old 07-09-2017, 08:51 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
I still have my front reciever if you need it. I may even be able to dig up a pic or two of what it looked like mounted and could certainly take a few pics of the unit itself and provide dimensions if you need.
A pic or two of how it mounted would be great! Or a model number and I will google it. If sturdy enough, I might take you up on the offer as I will have to put some sort of front mount eventually and the front winch can simply ride the receiver mount I already have for it. Maybe I could modify it to be a winch mount and a receiver hitch.

Originally Posted by Lhornung
I'm not sure if this would work for what you are trying to accomplish, but I know many of the " front end replacement bumpers" sold today offer a built in receiver hitch.
Originally Posted by 97-psd
I would suggest an aftermarket winch bumper with an integrated front receiver.
Thanks Lhornung and 97-psd! I had a full ranch hand but it was too much for the flimsy factory bumper mounts. I think a separate bumper and winch mount would be ideal, but I suspect there are some winch bumpers that have a better mounting system...I'll keep searching...

Old 07-09-2017, 09:53 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
A pic or two of how it mounted would be great! Or a model number and I will google it. If sturdy enough, I might take you up on the offer as I will have to put some sort of front mount eventually and the front winch can simply ride the receiver mount I already have for it. Maybe I could modify it to be a winch mount and a receiver hitch.

Thanks Lhornung and 97-psd! I had a full ranch hand but it was too much for the flimsy factory bumper mounts. I think a separate bumper and winch mount would be ideal, but I suspect there are some winch bumpers that have a better mounting system...I'll keep searching...
Ok, I dont have any pics of how it mounted nor do I know who manufactured it. All I can do is maybe provide a pic of where it was in proximity to the factory front bumper and I could provide pics of the unit itself as it sits not mounted as well as dimensions if that'll help.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:24 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
I could provide pics of the unit itself as it sits not mounted as well as dimensions if that'll help.
I suspect a pic would be a great start! I've seen receiver hitches that bolt to the factory bumper mounts...from my experiences, I need to improve on this. Thanks Corey!

Old 07-10-2017, 12:34 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
I suspect a pic would be a great start! I've seen receiver hitches that bolt to the factory bumper mounts...from my experiences, I need to improve on this. Thanks Corey!
Ok, yeah sure. It'll take me a couple days; I'm at work right now down in NYC. I'll be back in Maine on Thursday. PM me if you can and remind me. I'll have to dig it out and I'll find the original picture file of my truck when I 1st bought it out in Az. There were like 30 pics from all around the truck.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:59 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
PM me if you can and remind me.
Thanks, will do...I just set a calendar appointment...I can't remember poo these days...