Sponsored by: Moser

YFA choke pull-off question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 03:39 PM
rb76543
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
What I would do if no Tag No to get you into the correct settings chart would be to have a parts person look up the carb no. by application and record all the possible I.D.'s so as you can go to the adjustments chart and get within range of how to adjust on the bench and then fine tune from there.
That's a good suggestion. I will do that next week.

Do you have one of these CHI-COM Specials also?
If that means "made in China" then yes; I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in this thread who made that mistake. lol.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:06 AM
xaos1964
5th Wheeling
Maybe this will help.
To set up the choke, you need to do it first thing in the morning on a cold morning. 65F, your choke won't stay closed for long. I'm talking 10C and below.
Go out, open the hood. take your breather off. DO NOT PUT POWER TO THE COIL OR TURN THE IGNITION ON.
you adjust the electric coil spring until the choke snaps shut when you push the throttle linkage back. Check it. at 65F, tap the choke. it shouldn't be too tightly set, but will snap back into place. The colder it is outside, the tighter the spring and the harder the choke will close.
Start the vehicle. Should start easily and again, at 65F, come completely off high idle, within half a minute.
To adjust the RPM you have a high idle adjustment screw. use that to get your RPM. This you can do when the engine is warm and at any time.
If your engine, when cold, isn't running properly. Bogs down, stalls, lack of power. than you need to adjust how far open the choke is. On some carbs this is done by bending the linkage. Usually at a factory bend. Other carbs it can be a set screw.
Before all this though, you need to make sure your carb is properly adjusted. If I'm remembering my basics as it's been a lot of years since I worked tune up on gas engines, it's about 1% co2, or something like that, which requires a gas analyzer.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:01 AM
rb76543
Junior User
Originally Posted by xaos1964
Maybe this will help.
... Before all this though, you need to make sure your carb is properly adjusted. If I'm remembering my basics as it's been a lot of years since I worked tune up on gas engines, it's about 1% co2, or something like that, which requires a gas analyzer.
Thanks. Lots of good information; I've already done most of that, but I didn't think about the gas analyzer. I'll ask around and see if someone has one, and check to find a local garage if need be.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:18 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by xaos1964

Maybe this will help.
To set up the choke, you need to do it first thing in the morning on a cold morning. 65F, your choke won't stay closed for long. I'm talking 10C and below.

Go out, open the hood. take your breather off. DO NOT PUT POWER TO THE COIL OR TURN THE IGNITION ON.

you adjust the electric coil spring until the choke snaps shut when you push the throttle linkage back. Check it. at 65F, tap the choke. it shouldn't be too tightly set, but will snap back into place. The colder it is outside, the tighter the spring and the harder the choke will close.

Start the vehicle. Should start easily and again, at 65F, come completely off high idle, within half a minute.

To adjust the RPM you have a high idle adjustment screw. use that to get your RPM. This you can do when the engine is warm and at any time.
If your engine, when cold, isn't running properly. Bogs down, stalls, lack of power. than you need to adjust how far open the choke is. On some carbs this is done by bending the linkage. Usually at a factory bend. Other carbs it can be a set screw.

Before all this though, you need to make sure your carb is properly adjusted. If I'm remembering my basics as it's been a lot of years since I worked tune up on gas engines, it's about 1% co2, or something like that, which requires a gas analyzer.
GOOD INFO!

A cheater step to adjust for cold weather is to put the choke cap in the old lady's freezer.

Used to be... ...a choke setting kit that shot freon through the choke housing to do the same thing. I was usually on a budget.

OH! When you go to the fridge to get the cap, also pull out a cold one for medicinal purposes if you cut your hand or something...

Old 07-02-2017, 10:28 AM
xaos1964
5th Wheeling
lmao.
I need a cold one now. Drink!!
Freezer works if you can keep it at current ambient temp.