Different SIZE Spare - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Different SIZE Spare

Old 06-29-2017, 01:38 PM
bushpilot
Posting Guru
bushpilot is a name known to allbushpilot is a name known to allbushpilot is a name known to allbushpilot is a name known to allbushpilot is a name known to allbushpilot is a name known to all
Different SIZE Spare

IS ANYONE ELSE SEEING THIS??

our Platinum 350 (SRW) long bed crew cab has a different size SPARE TIRE...

the 4 Michelins are 275/65 R20's and the spare is a 275/70R18
the spare is a Goodyear Wrangler (which doesnt matter to me) but the 18 vs 20 does bother me...

Name:  Screen%20Shot%202017-06-29%20at%201.28.35%20PM.png
Views: 1709
Size:  46.3 KB

Old 06-29-2017, 01:46 PM
CRSFX4
Senior User
CRSFX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not much different from the old temp spares that were never same size as original equipment.....only meant to tide you over until you get regular tire fixed.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:50 PM
bushpilot
Posting Guru
bushpilot is a name known to allbushpilot is a name known to allbushpilot is a name known to allbushpilot is a name known to allbushpilot is a name known to allbushpilot is a name known to all
Originally Posted by CRSFX4 View Post
Not much different from the old temp spares that were never same size as original equipment.....only meant to tide you over until you get regular tire fixed.
my 2004 didn't have a temp spare and this one doesnt either.

at best this means you can NOT rotate the spare as you rotate your tires (its a steel wheel anyway).

Old 06-29-2017, 01:53 PM
manowell
Senior User
manowell is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post

at best this means you can NOT rotate the spare as you rotate your tires (its a steel wheel anyway).
It matches the standard 18" wheel and tires for the 4x2 trucks. The revs per mile aren't much off, and it's meant to be temporary. Doesn't have a TMPS sensor, either. They don't intend you to rotate the spare anymore, it seems. :-)

Old 06-29-2017, 01:59 PM
CRSFX4
Senior User
CRSFX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bought a Toyota Sequoia in '05 (still have it, great truck) and the first time the TPMS light came on I checked all the tires and they were within 2 PSI of normal. I called the dealership and the guy said "have you checked your spare?"....had no clue they monitored the spare. They could have pinched me for a new sensor and I would have never known....glad the guy was honest.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:02 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Posting Guru
Paw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to all
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post

Almost an inch shorter. Not the best idea with a limited slip rear...but with the E-lockers you can get by with it...almost like an open rear end except for the traction control you should be OK if turned off.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:04 PM
nascarjimmy
Senior User
nascarjimmy is starting off with a positive reputation.
they put the 18 as a spare because a 20 will not fit under there!

Old 06-29-2017, 02:07 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Posting Guru
Paw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to all
Originally Posted by nascarjimmy View Post
Unless you want a 35" spare on the 18" wheel!!

Old 06-29-2017, 02:50 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
AK_SuperDuty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.AK_SuperDuty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yeah I think if a person blows a front tire, they're better off moving a rear tire to the front and putting the spare on the rear in the event they need to use 4x4.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:02 PM
kylant
Elder User
kylant is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by nascarjimmy View Post
100% incorrect

Old 06-29-2017, 03:12 PM
bushpilot
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by manowell View Post
It matches the standard 18" wheel and tires for the 4x2 trucks. The revs per mile aren't much off, and it's meant to be temporary. Doesn't have a TMPS sensor, either. They don't intend you to rotate the spare anymore, it seems. :-)
I'm glad Mopar is smarter than that....from the factory my Jeep Wrangler has a matching aluminum wheel/spare AND TPMS emitter in it...and yes it gets rotated.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:17 PM
wfedwar
Elder User
wfedwar is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Paw's 150 Lariat View Post
Almost an inch shorter. Not the best idea with a limited slip rear...but with the E-lockers you can get by with it...almost like an open rear end except for the traction control you should be OK if turned off.
Yep, it will wear out the LS pretty quickly. But as I understand, the DRW are the only ones with LS rear diffs, so this is not that much of an issue.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:22 PM
bushpilot
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wfedwar View Post
Yep, it will wear out the LS pretty quickly. But as I understand, the DRW are the only ones with LS rear diffs, so this is not that much of an issue.
what wheel options are available on DRW's?
do DRW's get 18's (only)??

could be disastrous to run a smaller tire/wheel on a DRW.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:28 PM
natpark
Senior User
natpark is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just FYI, the location under the truck has plenty of room for a 275/65/20 tire, I got a 20" Ford King Ranch rim off ebay and mounted up a 275/65/20 for a full size matching spare. It also looks like there is room under there to go to a 285/65/20. The 295/65/20 may be pushing it.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:34 PM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
It's been this way for the last 3 generations of SD's. Nothing new here. Just Ford saving a few bucks. Back two generations ago when you could have LS instead of the elocker on an SRW with 20's, the owners manual used to tell you that if you got a flat in the rear, to put the spare on the front and put the good 20" from the front onto the rear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Different SIZE Spare

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.