Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

088 maybe 093 Wrapping Turbine Housing and Crossover Pipe You have been WARNED!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:01 PM
ThePriceLife
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
088 maybe 093 Wrapping Turbine Housing and Crossover Pipe You have been WARNED!

So I have seen lots of info on wrapping the turbine housing and crossover pipe on the 088 and 093. I am sure it is done on many other turbo's as well, however I am dealing with a 088 on an IDI so I will focus on that.

The PO wrapped the crossover pipe and the Turbine Housing in header wrap this is supposed to keep things cooler, more horse power, and all around make your truck a super truck. Maybe it does all that.

Let me tell you what else it does, after driving when it cools if you live in a humid area, or maybe a winter area with lots of snow, it sucks in moisture like a sponge, that moisture then sits nice and tidy on your pretty exhaust and turbine housing.

The result RUST lots and lots of RUST! My crossover pipe looked like swiss cheese, you could not see the rust and holes because of the wrap, which stayed relatively intact. Making almost no boost because of the leaks.

I am in the process of rebuilding my 088 and the turbine exhaust housing was wrapped as well, I unwrapped it, and it was covered in scale, much longer and I would be looking for a new housing. The housing is rusted to the CHRA and all the bolts were so rusted all but 5 snapped. BLAH.

So anyone considering this you have been warned, short term power gains at the expense of long term reliability. I will not be wrapping my pretty new exhaust and I will not be wrapping my turbine housing.

Funny thing I bought new header wrap for the housing and was going to proceed to wrap it again until I found the RUST, no more RUST. So no wrapping for me.

I will be returning the wrap, and preserving my new exhaust and turbo rebuild!

Old 06-24-2017, 11:48 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably didnt paint it, supposed to ceramic paint everything first, then pain the wrap.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:08 AM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That ceramic paint is a pita to use, it would be a plus if we had ovens big enough to fit engines in

Old 06-25-2017, 06:22 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
tech line coatings has a great product, brush on ceramic paint, dries to the touch, then fully cures when you fire the engine up.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:44 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by IDIoit
tech line coatings has a great product, brush on ceramic paint, dries to the touch, then fully cures when you fire the engine up.
So with this, the process would be:

1. Paint the pipes and let dry
2. Wrap
3. Paint the wrapped pipes and let dry
4. Install and run it to fully cure

I am looking at a turbo install in the semi-near future and am considering some kind of wrap etc. My main goal is heat control.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:17 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jayro88
I am looking at a turbo install in the semi-near future and am considering some kind of wrap etc. My main goal is heat control.
Why?
I've never seen any issues with heat from my turbo or piping, wrapped or not.

Banks turbos come with an aluminium "heat shield" piece that protects the firewall I guess, but nothing beyond that.

Ford spec turbos don't seem to have any heat shield around the turbo that I recall, and they work just fine.

Remember, unless you are actually pushing the truck, the temps in the exhaust system aren't that high.
It's not like a gasser, where the exhaust temps are actually pretty hot, even at idle.

When you are pushing it, you generally have some airflow - either from the fan or from the truck driving - which reduces temps on all such parts significantly.

I haven't seen any heat related issues around the turbo/exhaust piping - no paint blistering on the engine, or plastic lines melting(as long as there is a 1/2" gap to the hot piping).

Old 06-25-2017, 10:44 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Macrobb
Why?
I've never seen any issues with heat from my turbo or piping, wrapped or not.

Banks turbos come with an aluminium "heat shield" piece that protects the firewall I guess, but nothing beyond that.

Ford spec turbos don't seem to have any heat shield around the turbo that I recall, and they work just fine.

Remember, unless you are actually pushing the truck, the temps in the exhaust system aren't that high.
It's not like a gasser, where the exhaust temps are actually pretty hot, even at idle.

When you are pushing it, you generally have some airflow - either from the fan or from the truck driving - which reduces temps on all such parts significantly.

I haven't seen any heat related issues around the turbo/exhaust piping - no paint blistering on the engine, or plastic lines melting(as long as there is a 1/2" gap to the hot piping).
In a truck body I would agree with that. Mine is a van body, so heat from exhaust and turbo is could be an issue.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:26 PM
ThePriceLife
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have fought this turbo all day, I cannot get the CHRA loose from the exhaust housing. after hours of heating it, cooling it, hammering it (dead blow) I have the housing loose, that is I can spin the CHRA around in the housing, and spin the shaft but it will not come out of there.

Never ever ever will I wrap a turbo in that stuff. This is ridiculous, I broke 5 of the 6 bolt heads off on the exhaust side. Now cannot separate the halved because of the rust. Ahhhhhhhh

Old 06-25-2017, 07:40 PM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have seen my n/a floorboards reach well over 100 degrees while going 70-80mph unloaded.