1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

blinker's stoped working

Old 06-17-2017, 10:21 AM
Cg willie Willie
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blinker's stoped working

I have an 82 F100 4.9 i6 I just replaced my power steering pump
now that that is done I started up went for a short test drive it was then I noticed my blinkers had stopped working. all my other lights work marker headlights tail just no blinkers I replaced the flasher checked the fusses
So im out of ideas the blinker switch was replaced several years ago. so I don't suspect that to be the problem
any ideas or help would be appreciated
Thanks

Old 06-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
You say "stopped working", but that can be taken two ways. One would be that the lights come on but don't blink. And that usually happens because the current flow through the flasher has decreased, and a low battery can do that - which happens when the alternator or regulator are failing. But, if you just had your power steering pump off maybe you did something to the alternator?

The other is a wiring issue, and it is rare that both sides fail at the same time.

So, which is it?

Old 06-17-2017, 03:36 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,654 Likes on 1,337 Posts
Yes, are they on solid or you get nothing? I can tell you a common problem is the ignition switch not coming back to the proper position also can cause this. Sitting there in the driveway with the engine off, activate the turn lever to either direction and then play with the key to see if there is a position where they work and then don't work.

I just had this happen to my little 86 ranger the other day. Seems the little trucks have the same diseases as the larger ones. I had in my mind I was going to take the old one apart after I put the new one in to see what it looked like inside but I didn't have to, it fell apart in 3 pieces when I unbolted it from the column.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:00 PM
Cg willie Willie
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
You say "stopped working", but that can be taken two ways. One would be that the lights come on but don't blink. And that usually happens because the current flow through the flasher has decreased, and a low battery can do that - which happens when the alternator or regulator are failing. But, if you just had your power steering pump off maybe you did something to the alternator?

The other is a wiring issue, and it is rare that both sides fail at the same time.

So, which is it?

Well I don't believe the battery or alternator or regulator are failing
they were working fine before I worked on the power steering the truck starts runs fine as I stated. all my other lights are working, But no indicator lights on the dash nor the blinker lights out side my ignition does have a sticky problem buy that too isn't the problem as im aware of that that was one of the things I checked first I just can understand how and so suddenly they stopped I don't believe I messed with any of the wiring while working on my pump I did put in an 1156 led in my backup light but that too is working ok

Old 06-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Cg willie Willie
Mountain Pass
well I just now checked and my back up lights are not working hmm? I will pull the tail lights later when It cools off a bit strange problem here

Old 06-17-2017, 04:12 PM
Franklin2
Do you have a voltmeter or testlight? There is a logical way to approach this if you have one.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:37 PM
Cg willie Willie
Mountain Pass
neighbor has one but hes 84 so I will have to wait till morning to talk with him
hes pretty good with electrical stuff
tell me you idea please then when I talk to him I will have an idea
im not very good at electrical things

Old 06-17-2017, 07:42 PM
Franklin2
When you get something to test with, pull the flasher out of the fuse box. Probe each socket where the flasher plugged in. With the key on, one of those should have power. If it doesn't start checking fuses again or play with the keyswitch some more.

The circuit comes from a key-on fuse and goes to the flasher. It leaves the flasher and goes up the steering column to the turnsignal switch. From there the turnsignal switch puts this flasher circuit on the proper front turn and rear taillight, left or right.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:07 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 678 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Cg willie Willie
Well I don't believe the battery or alternator or regulator are failing they were working fine before I worked on the power steering the truck starts runs fine as I stated. all my other lights are working
A nun, a priest, and a rabbi walk into a bar...

If you're going to tell jokes, so am I.

Until you check with a voltmeter, don't be so sure the battery and charging system are good. The flashers for the turn signals and 4-way hazards are probably the most voltage sensitive items on these trucks. If your alternator wiring was disturbed, for example, the battery voltage could be quite low and you may not even realize it. The flashers would certainly know it, however, and respond before anything else by not working. Keep driving like that and eventually other stuff will act up, too. But for now, the flashers are like the proverbial canary in a coal mine, giving you early warning that something isn't right.

The check is easy as can be. Put a voltmeter on the battery terminals and start the engine. You should see a minimum of 13.5 volts DC. Any less and something isn't right.

You may find this recent thread of some interest. Not quite the same scenario, but some details are similar:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...vac-is-on.html

Old 06-17-2017, 10:14 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 678 Likes on 542 Posts
Almost forgot one of my favorite trick for turn signal troubleshooting:

Fabricate a jumper to replace the flasher. Two 1/4" male spade terminals on the end of short length of wire is all you need.

Remove the flasher and install the jumper between the two sockets. Now you've got a much simpler circuit to diagnose, without that pesky flasher in the middle to complicate things.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:14 AM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't listen to these guys. Clearly you ran low on blinker fluid.

Get the gallon jug at Walmart.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:35 AM
Cg willie Willie
Mountain Pass
here's a lil' up date I got to checking fuses this morning they all seem good so I pulled the tail light lens pulled the light socket out and checked to see if the brake lights were working and no they weren't so at that point in thinking the brake light switch so I went and got a new one installed ( this is the third switch I'm replaced in the time I've had the truck) something like 20 years so I'm back to square one

Old 06-18-2017, 12:53 PM
Franklin2
So the turns do not work, the brake lights do work now or they don't?

Old 06-18-2017, 02:54 PM
Cg willie Willie
Mountain Pass
no they don't work either yesterday I thought they did but there not working
ok so this morning I replaced the brake switch and my neighbor came over with his volt meter I found a fuse that was blown so we determined that there is a short a 15 amp fuse upper right hand on the fuse box i'm leaning towards the blinker switch being bad I looked under the hood everything looking ok but something is blowing that fuse

Old 06-18-2017, 09:27 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Do the emergency flashers work? All three (brake, turn, emergency) use the same filaments in the rear bulbs, and all three go through the turn/emergency switch in the column. Check ALL THREE fuses.

Oh, just read about the fuse blowing. WHICH fuse is it? Go by the owner's manual, or find an online guide (see if ???Gary's Garagemahal - Home has it). And when does it blow? As soon as you install it? When you open the door? When you turn the key to RUN? When you operate a particular accessory? THAT will help determine where your short might be.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: blinker's stoped working