Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission seal where it meets u-joint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 05:17 PM
justplumducky
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission seal where it meets u-joint?

94 F-250 5.8 w/trailer pkg.
Transmission fluid is being slung upward right above where the transmission connects to the u-joint, and leaking onto driveway when parked. Seal replacement? Big job?

What would a Ma & Pa shop charge me?

Old 06-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
How many miles? Extension housing yoke seal can wear out because the bushing that supports the yoke has rounded out. If so, a new seal will last for a bit, then when the rubber wears bigger, it will start leaking.

The output bushing can be replaced with the extension housing staying on the truck by using a special internal grabber with slide hammer.

I have replaced trans output bushings by removing the extension housing, and very carefully hacksawing (blade holder handle type) two flat parallel grooves near each other, then carefully peeling the bushing piece between out with a small punch on the edge of the bushing. Once the piece is removed, the bushing comes right out. If you do it yourself, note where the oil hole is in the bushing, new one needs to fit over the oil groove, and set it to the same depth in as old, if there is no stop in the casting.

I have a press, so I can just press the new one in using a piece of board to get it started flat, and once is gone in so far as to hit the housing, switching to a piece of pipe, or whatever fits best as the push piece. Can do same with a mallet.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:06 PM
justplumducky
Senior User
200K miles.
Thx much for that. Wishing I could do it myself, but will have to put it in a shop. Wondering what to expect money-wise.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:35 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 164 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by justplumducky
200K miles.
Thx much for that. Wishing I could do it myself, but will have to put it in a shop. Wondering what to expect money-wise.
I pulled the extension housing off my transfer case and brought it to a good shop along with the replacement bushing. He pressed the old out and new in for $10, that day. The seal itself is super easy to change. While the driveshaft is out, check out u joints.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:57 PM
justplumducky
Senior User
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
I pulled the extension housing off my transfer case and brought it to a good shop along with the replacement bushing. He pressed the old out and new in for $10, that day. The seal itself is super easy to change. While the driveshaft is out, check out u joints.
Wow, that's really good news, can't thank you enough!

Old 06-06-2017, 02:48 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 164 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by justplumducky
Wow, that's really good news, can't thank you enough!
Its probably a lot more if you bring the truck in, bc then they have to take the time to lift the truck, remove driveshaft, remove tail housing, remove seal, remove bushing, and then reverse all of that. So, if you have a second vehicle or a ride, and can pull the driveshaft and tail housing yourself, can likely save money. Your statement about needing a shop is a bit vague in what you need the shop to do, so I wanted to clarify.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:10 PM
justplumducky
Senior User
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
Its probably a lot more if you bring the truck in, bc then they have to take the time to lift the truck, remove driveshaft, remove tail housing, remove seal, remove bushing, and then reverse all of that. So, if you have a second vehicle or a ride, and can pull the driveshaft and tail housing yourself, can likely save money. Your statement about needing a shop is a bit vague in what you need the shop to do, so I wanted to clarify.
Much appreciate the clarification. I have a neighbor in mind who has done some work for me previously, so will talk to him about doing mine the same way you did yours. If he has never done this particular job before, and you were in my shoes (hiring him to do yours), anything special you would tell him to beware of ?

Old 06-06-2017, 05:35 PM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You can get one already done on Ebay for about $80. Then all you do is pull your shaft, unbolt the old tail section and then install a new one.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:49 AM
justplumducky
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fordication
You can get one already done on Ebay for about $80. Then all you do is pull your shaft, unbolt the old tail section and then install a new one.
Thx much for that.

What search term do I use on eBay for the part I need? Maybe a dumb question... I reckon I could figure that out.