'13 TBC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 10:58 AM
CowboyUp!
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 TBC?

Hello, I've searched the forums and although it sounds like some may have had similar issues I couldn't find a difinitive solution, my apologies if I missed it.

I have a 2013 SRW F350 and feel that the OEM trailer brake controller is lacking. While driving with the gain at "10" I barely feel the brakes working, although I watch the output go to 2 bars on the dash under normal braking. My 2002 SRW F350 w/aftermarket controller will cause the same trailers (8,000-12,000 pound horse/stock trailers and 3,500 car trailers) to lock up at max gain, so I know it's not the trailers. While using the emergency paddle on the 2013's TBC it will hit the brakes hard and show all of the output bars on the dash, even skid on gravel. Going down grades with a heavy load and live cargo it can get a bit hairy to say the least. I'm debating replacing the module, or putting an aftermarket controller in.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 05-30-2017, 11:21 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
The output of the TBC will depend on how much heft you are putting on the truck brake pedal. I have a 2012 F350 and have no problem towing about the same weight (10,000 pound) fifth wheel.

I think the most common complaint with the TBC's was the lack of a way to boost how aggressively the controller engaged the trailer brakes as opposed to the total amount of power available. I believe adjustability was added as the TBC continued to evolve. Someone with a new model truck may be able to comment on that.

Steve

Old 05-30-2017, 11:51 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts
The newer models do have more adjustability. Low, med and high.

You could check your trailer brakes and see if they are correctly adjusted, although it sounds as if they are.

For what it is worth, I have mine set on 9 for the gain and if I really need to apply the binders, it does in fact slow it all down nicely.

Mine is a 2013 as well. I am towing 16K these days.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:28 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
If you FEEL the Ford TBC working, it ain 't working correctly !! Laugh if you will, but that's exactly how it works so well. If you skid the tires it such is NOT working correctly. Another thing you may not know about the Ford TCB is that it mimics the anti-skid (anti-lock) function of the truck. The TCB is electronically connected to the trucks brake system.

(Yes, you CAN make the trailers tires skid on gravel with the hand control.)

Old 05-30-2017, 02:34 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,666 Likes on 2,739 Posts
I can't speak to the 2013 model but on my 2017 F-350 I have the setting at medium 7 for my 2006 11k toy hauler and it will stop HARD. Probably too hard and I should dial it down to a 6.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:37 PM
CowboyUp!
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BPofMD
If you FEEL the Ford TBC working, it ain 't working correctly !! Laugh if you will, but that's exactly how it works so well. If you skid the tires it such is NOT working correctly. Another thing you may not know about the Ford TCB is that it mimics the anti-skid (anti-lock) function of the truck. The TCB is electronically connected to the trucks brake system.

(Yes, you CAN make the trailers tires skid on gravel with the hand control.)
I should clarify, I can feel additional braking force other than what the pickup is putting out.

I've had opportunity in the past to drive with a loaded trailer and no trailer brakes (usually just around the place) and can feel the difference between getting pushed and having stopping power from the trailer. Currently, I'm getting some assistance from the trailer but still feel like the trailer is pushing me WAY more than it should. I guess I prefer the feeling of the trailer brakes slowing the trailer... Especially over feeling like the trailer will push me into a skid, particularly in wet or slick conditions. If it's working correctly I guess I'll just deal.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:37 PM
NWRVR
Junior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just found this thread searching for some wisdom. I have my integrated TBC set all the way to10 trying to dial in a new 9,000# trailer. From what I read here I guess the stopping from 30mph with the hand control just shy of locking the brakes doesn't work? So, how do you properly set the gain? I can stop but not in a shot enough distance IMHO. I am used to the P3 controller where I would lock the wheels and back off until they wouldn't lock up then I would only adjust the boost depending on highway or city driving. Advice welcome!

Old 06-22-2017, 06:50 PM
senix
Super Moderator
first, how do you know that the trailer brakes are even working?

Set the gain on 5 and go for a ride. Up to about 50 mph and see how it stops.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:42 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,666 Likes on 2,739 Posts
Originally Posted by NWRVR
I am used to the P3 controller where I would lock the wheels and back off until they wouldn't lock up then I would only adjust the boost depending on highway or city driving. Advice welcome!
I moved from a P3 in my Nissan Titan to the integrated trailer brake controller in my F-350 and dialed it in the same way. I have no problems with mine.

Have you adjusted the low/medium/high setting?

Old 06-22-2017, 09:55 PM
NWRVR
Junior User
Thanks, I guess RTFM for me to find out where to adjust low/medium/high settings.

The brakes do stop the trailer and truck but they don't grab it to a stop. I would have thought at max gain setting it should. This is a 2015 Classic 30' Airstream that had the brakes adjusted and electric actuators tested as part of the pre-delivery, but I think I will jack up one side tomorrow to verify. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:52 AM
senix
Super Moderator
on the 2013's there is no medium/low/high setting on the TBC. That came out in 2015 model year I think. So that may help if this is a 2016 truck.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:12 PM
NWRVR
Junior User
Originally Posted by senix
on the 2013's there is no medium/low/high setting on the TBC. That came out in 2015 model year I think. So that may help if this is a 2016 truck.
Thanks, I will check it when I can hookup the 7-way, maybe tomorrow. Had planned to verify the TT brake adjustment today but the boss had other plans. I will post when I have some results. Won't be able to do a road test until next camping trip next week as it is a bear to get her back into her parking place.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:01 PM
NWRVR
Junior User
Thanks, I will check it when I can hookup the 7-way, maybe tomorrow. Had planned to verify the TT brake adjustment today but the boss had other plans. I will post when I have some results. Won't be able to do a road test until next camping trip next week as it is a bear to get her back into her parking place.
i found the setting for trailer brake effort and set it to high and gain to 10. Applying manual lever at 30mph does not lock the trailer wheels but does slow down the truck and trailer to a stop within sixty feet. On open highway I can't tell how much trailer brake is being applied when I brake hard at 50mph but it doesn't feel like the trailer is pushing me. At 10 gain it should feel like it is dragging me to a stop. I will take the truck to the dealer after this trip, but bet they will say it's working as designed. Anyone get a different answer from a dealer or outside shop?

Old 07-19-2017, 02:10 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
i found the setting for trailer brake effort and set it to high and gain to 10. Applying manual lever at 30mph does not lock the trailer wheels but does slow down the truck and trailer to a stop within sixty feet. On open highway I can't tell how much trailer brake is being applied when I brake hard at 50mph but it doesn't feel like the trailer is pushing me. At 10 gain it should feel like it is dragging me to a stop. I will take the truck to the dealer after this trip, but bet they will say it's working as designed. Anyone get a different answer from a dealer or outside shop?
you shouldn't feel it working. If you disconnect your seven pin and pull the trailer with the break-away pulled, can you pull the trailer?

Old 07-19-2017, 06:35 PM
NWRVR
Junior User
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
you shouldn't feel it working. If you disconnect your seven pin and pull the trailer with the break-away pulled, can you pull the trailer?
I didn't try that but will do so when we depart on the 25th. Does the manual trailer break control put out maximum voltage when you fully squeeze it or is it also proportional to speed when actuated?
Thanks,
Steve

Quick Reply: '13 TBC?