Why does my truck run better with the MAP sensor unplugged

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 05:55 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by orionbelt7
No, it is not a wrong forum.
A stuck open EGR valve can cause the simptoms described, and "faulty" MAP sensor can be a - consequence - of that. In reality, it is not, but, MAP, having been read off by the computer, with the EGR valve being all clogged up, and stuck open, the system can get in a "data conflict" and thus, as a precaution, PCM just cuts the power to turbo, as if, "not to cause damage to the system, due to a conflicting data". This MAY be the reason for the way his engine behaves. Either way, this is something he must address, (if hasn't done so yet), and see if it solves the problem.
My fault for trying to help you find your way friend. Can we get a picture of the EGR on the 99-03 Power Stroke diesel with a 7.3? I look forward to clearing this miscommunication up and enjoying my cold beer.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:08 PM
orionbelt7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by orionbelt7; 10-10-2017 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Oh, no problem at all, bro...

Try this link:

7.3 EGR Link

There is plenty to mine for info there.

The top links you posted in the Google all indicate there is no EGR valve on our 7.3 liter trucks. I have been under the hood of my truck many times and I have never seen the EGR.

Now, it is my turn to provide a Google search result.

7.3 EGR location

Perhaps you are thinking of the exhaust back pressure sensor (EBPS) or the exhaust back pressure valve (EBPV) or the IPR, ICP, etc?

We DO NOT have an EGR valve on our trucks.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:03 PM
orionbelt7
New User

Last edited by orionbelt7; 10-10-2017 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-10-2017, 08:06 PM
orionbelt7
New User

Last edited by orionbelt7; 10-10-2017 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-10-2017, 08:21 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Try this, maybe: https://www.google.com/search?q=egr+...HV-5AP4QsAQIGQ

We have a 2004, V8, Diesel Powerstroke.
Ford Stealership diagnostics clearly show an EGR valve present - center of the engine block, close to the radiator...

Stealership diagnostic results...
Close up...
There it is, right by the alternator.

Your killing me here Smalls!

The 7.3 was not made in the USA market after 2003. Ironically enough, the pictures you posted and which I quoted look a lot like a 6.0 engine bay. Which does in fact have an EGR.

See the alternator that you referenced, and the hexagon shaped lid that are in both your picture and my picture?

Here it is again...

If that is not enough, notice the tubing in the picture you posted directly behind the alternator, here it is again in my picture.

All of these are pictures of the 2004 6.0 liter Power Stroke V-8 diesel. Not the 99-03 7.3 liter Power Stroke V-8 diesel.

You are wrong about the EGR on the 7.3. Your receipt from a stealership clearly showing a EGR is present. I agree, but your detective work, needs some work. The receipt shows a 2004, which is a 6.0 liter, not a 7.3.

Thank you for posting the VIN though, which when Googled comes up as a 6.0 liter....

https://the-car-directory.com/VIN_1F...933_see_decode

I tried to be nice, but I can only say it nice so many times before I outright say you are wrong about the EGR on the 7.3.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:26 PM
orionbelt7
New User

Last edited by orionbelt7; 10-10-2017 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-10-2017, 08:39 PM
orionbelt7
New User

Last edited by orionbelt7; 10-10-2017 at 10:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-10-2017, 08:45 PM
orionbelt7
New User

Last edited by orionbelt7; 10-10-2017 at 10:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-10-2017, 08:52 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
You are wrong about the EGR, or lack there of on the 7.3 diesel. The truck you linked was a 6.0, in the other forum. This thread will be here for years to come, and someone that is not as familiar with the 7.3 might go looking for an EGR on their truck and only become more confused as to why there isn't one. They will be wasting their time trying to troubleshoot a part that does not exist on their truck.

Zoom in? That is not a 7.3 liter, it is a 6.0! This is the 7.3 liter section of the forum. Perhaps you were not aware of what section you were in?

New Castle is a good choice.

Splashing bile? I have been very polite and started leaning toward being very direct in my last post. This is who I am. I am a retired Senior NCO and being direct is a way of life for me.

This is an adult conversation, and I have been wrong many times, just ask my wife. An adult can admit when they are wrong and move on with it and learn from it. Some one saying they are neither wrong nor right in a matter such as this, well that is wrong.

I do realize that I do not have to reply to your posts. But, again I have an obligation as a contributing member of FTE to provide factual and relevant information in the thread. It is a shame that this thread has gone so far off track from a MAP sensor problem, but it is what it is.

My intent is not to prove you wrong, my intent is to set the record and information in this thread straight.

THERE IS NO EGR VALVE ON THE 7.3 LITER DIESEL!

Old 10-10-2017, 09:02 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Maybe he's thinking about the 6.0L

It's okay, he's new. We all started somewhere. Some people like me still haven't caught up yet! LOL

Old 10-11-2017, 07:33 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Maybe he's thinking about the 6.0L

It's okay, he's new. We all started somewhere. Some people like me still haven't caught up yet! LOL
I am 100% sure he is thinking about the 6.0L, but apparently I am not doing a good enough job at relaying the facts.

I realize he is new to the FTE, and a welcome addition. Although, if we allow for misinformation to be spread, then the FTE will turn into all of the other forums out there full of BS. This is just like last week when I called the part that connects to the pitman arm a track bar by mistake. AndyM was nice enough to correct my terminology and I went back and edited my posts so future searches and information seekers were not confused by me using the wrong terms.

I will never catch up, but I don't mind being the middle somewhere. It allows for a clearer view most of the time based on my experiences.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:28 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I am 100% sure he is thinking about the 6.0L, but apparently I am not doing a good enough job at relaying the facts.

I realize he is new to the FTE, and a welcome addition. Although, if we allow for misinformation to be spread, then the FTE will turn into all of the other forums out there full of BS. This is just like last week when I called the part that connects to the pitman arm a track bar by mistake. AndyM was nice enough to correct my terminology and I went back and edited my posts so future searches and information seekers were not confused by me using the wrong terms.

I will never catch up, but I don't mind being the middle somewhere. It allows for a clearer view most of the time based on my experiences.

I completely agree. When I looked at his post count, I figure it might be possible he googled "powerstroke" and then posted in the first thread that came up.

I have no idea if he knows anything about the different versions, or if he's some master mechanic. I'm thinking maybe he learned something from a difficult or costly problem and tried to pass it on.

Hopefully he now understands the mistake and will come back and we all shrug it off.

You were much more polite than most forums out there, good job

Old 10-11-2017, 09:47 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Something has changed because his comments have been removed as of late last night. Was only trying to help him understand that the information he was relaying was not correct. We all make mistakes, it is how we move past them and learn from them that sets us apart from the herd.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-11-2017, 10:09 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
SOOOO, did the OP ever get his truck straightened out?
I was following this thread in hopes of learning something about all these sensors.

Quick Reply: Why does my truck run better with the MAP sensor unplugged