Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Why does my truck run better with the MAP sensor unplugged

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 09:46 PM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One other thought-you applied pressurized air to the map and it made the truck run well. That was actually a smart troubleshooting trick. You told the truck that it was at an elevation way below sea level! So the PCM thinks that it has lots of air to work with an fuels the engine accordingly. I think if you look at the PCM you will find a chip plugged in. Remove that chip and you will fix your problem. That chip may be modifying the Map sensor reading. And if it is malfunctioning, it may be causing the engine problems.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:11 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Long shot, fixed a 6.0 like this.

Take a BARO reading with AE or Torque Pro. Make sure is it correct for your elevation.

The 6.0 has a separate plugin under the driver's dash. Replaced it and the truck was much improved.

Is BARO built into the board on the 7.3? I don't know, but you can still test the value to see if you need to mess around with it.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:08 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Long shot, fixed a 6.0 like this.

Take a BARO reading with AE or Torque Pro. Make sure is it correct for your elevation.

The 6.0 has a separate plugin under the driver's dash. Replaced it and the truck was much improved.

Is BARO built into the board on the 7.3? I don't know, but you can still test the value to see if you need to mess around with it.
It was recently posted here that on some trucks it's a stand alone sensor but they switched it to a PCM function. My guess would be that the change came in '99.5 or '00 like many other changes.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:21 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
It was recently posted here that on some trucks it's a stand alone sensor but they switched it to a PCM function. My guess would be that the change came in '99.5 or '00 like many other changes.
On this particular 6.0 it was a separate module, maybe 1"x2" under the steering column area, just above the pedals. Regular harness connector. Unplugged one from a donor truck, swapped it in, and viola!

Since pretty much all psi measurements subtract BARO, it can be a good difference.

In any case, trying to offer suggestions not tried yet

Old 05-30-2017, 07:37 PM
Mydiesel250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok fellas, so I went ***** deep today in hopes of some sort of clue to help me. I swapped the turbo and spider from my truck to hers. No change, then I tuned both to stock, swapped the pcms , her truck was being a bitch about it and PATS was keeping me from getting it started. I tried doing some reset action with the key which did nothing. After hollering at it for a while I put hers back in. Her pcm had no chip that I could locate, I pulled the plastic cover off the access port and it looks like mine, didn't see any chip. While it was out I took it apart and did an inspection of the pcm plug, male and female as well as pcm internals. Nothing was corroded , dirty or damaged.
With all my test drives back and forth I did notice something but can't put my finger on it.
Coming from a complete stop, I let off the brake and blip the throttle and it is very responsive. When I roll into the throttle somewhat slow the flat spot seems less noticeable . All things being equal , if I stomp it to the floor it slowly builds up and has a flat spot from the start until around 2700rpm , then all of a sudden it seems normal again.
Thanks for all the replies guys!

Old 05-30-2017, 07:40 PM
Mydiesel250
Senior User
Tps maybe? Unfortunately ours are different so I can't swap those

Old 05-31-2017, 12:08 AM
Karlow
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
u can check the TPS with Tuque Pro

Old 05-31-2017, 11:19 AM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Steve, ok, you have been a member of this forum for years. I am pretty sure that you have seen the advice given to others that they should get some kind of scanner (Torque Pro, etc) so that meaningful info is available for analysis.

So here you go - get a scanner and quit moving parts around! It doesn't save you any time, frustration or money to unbolt stuff. We would love to help, but you gotta help us first! Yes it does take some time to understand how to use the scanner, but way less time than what you are doing.
Please don't take this personally, but do take the advice.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Sounds like we may have a similar problem as the thread I started here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...y-closing.html

Interested to see if we find a similar solution.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2017, 12:41 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Following to see what you find.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:36 AM
orionbelt7
New User
Originally Posted by Mydiesel250
I've been beating my head trying to figure out the problem with my wife's truck. Today I was changing out some sensors and still no changes. The truck is extremely sluggish from a stop, smooth , but sluggish. Runs fine other than that. I unplugged the MAP sensor and the throttle response is so much better. I assumed the MAP sensor was going bad so I did a quick swap from my truck to hers and no difference. No Matter which sensor is installed it only loses its sluggishness while unplugged. The line is clear, back pressure sensor is new and. Tube and ports cleaned. Mechanical and electronic boost gauges read 18-20 psi WOT. Anybody have any ideas to throw at me?
Thanks

Clean your EGR valve, AND(!), VACUUM its housing. Do NOT(!) Let those loose deposits to get sucked into the engine and stuck open a valve!

Before taking the EGR valve out of the engine, BUY an O-Ring kit for EGR valve, at a Ford dealership. It costs ~$10.00...

As you are cleaning the EGR valve, make sure you open it and clean the inner round edges - https://youtu.be/TCFziVFkOt4

Old 10-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Originally Posted by orionbelt7
Clean your EGR valve, AND(!), VACUUM its housing. Do NOT(!) Let those loose deposits to get sucked into the engine and stuck open a valve!

Before taking the EGR valve out of the engine, BUY an O-Ring kit for EGR valve, at a Ford dealership. It costs ~$10.00...

As you are cleaning the EGR valve, make sure you open it and clean the inner round edges - https://youtu.be/TCFziVFkOt4
Wrong forum...

Old 10-10-2017, 04:36 PM
orionbelt7
New User

Last edited by orionbelt7; 10-10-2017 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by orionbelt7
No, it is not a wrong forum.
A stuck open EGR valve can cause the simptoms described, and "faulty" MAP sensor can be a - consequence - of that. In reality, it is not, but, MAP, having been read off by the computer, with the EGR valve being all clogged up, and stuck open, the system can get in a "data conflict" and thus, as a precaution, PCM just cuts the power to turbo, as if, "not to cause damage to the system, due to a conflicting data". This MAY be the reason for the way his engine behaves. Either way, this is something he must address, (if hasn't done so yet), and see if it solves the problem.
Where is the EGR valved on my truck? I can't find it.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:16 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Where is the EGR valved on my truck? I can't find it.
Between the VGT and spark plugs

Quick Reply: Why does my truck run better with the MAP sensor unplugged