2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

F-450 with studded tires (for winter)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 02:50 PM
milkweed.gardener
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
F-450 with studded tires (for winter)

I am going to purchase a set of winter tires, and I would like them to be studded. I have a 2017 F-450, and after looking at what is available in the 225/70R19.5, the only one I found that expressly mentions studs in the literature is the Toyo M608, "accepts TSMI #15 winter studs". The Toyo literature did not say whether the tires are predrilled, but I emailed them and they responded that the tires are predrilled. Have I missed a different tire set that is known to be used with studs?

I do not plan to tow at all in the winter, and if I haul anything it will be a light load, so it came to mind to see if there is such a tire as an LT225/70R19.5, but I could not find any. I thought maybe there were more tire options at a reduced load rating.

As far as studded tires are concerned, does a shop mount and balance the tire prior to inserting the studs?

Old 05-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Johnpsz
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Not a judgement, just a question. Why would you prefer studded tires over other options like good non-studded winter tires and/or chains? I have never used studded tires personally, and have always had a good non-studded winter tire on my trucks and never needed chains or anything. That includes the 2' of snow we used to get overnight where we used to live in PA. Just curious why you may choose one over the other?

Here is what Oregon Dept. of Transportation has to say about it here, not gospel, and other locations vary:
Originally Posted by ODOT website
Oregon state law allows motorists to use studded tires from Nov. 1 through March 31. Because studded tires damage Oregon highways, ODOT encourages drivers to consider using chains or non-studded traction tires.

Studless traction tires that meet Rubber Manufacturers Association standards for use in severe snow conditions carry a special symbol on the tire sidewall: a three-peaked mountain and snowflake. Research shows these tires provide better traction than studded tires on bare pavement.

Studded tire facts
You can use studded tires in Oregon from Nov. 1 through March 31. Driving with studded tires before Nov. 1 or after March 31 is a Class C violation and carries a presumptive fine of nearly $200.
Research shows that studded tires are more effective than all-weather tires on icy roads, but are less effective in most other conditions because they may reduce traction between the road and the tire.
Damage from studded tires cost Oregonians approximately $8.5 million a year because roadways required repaving earlier than they normally would be.
When it rains, water collects in the pavement ruts caused by studded tires and creates dangerous driving conditions. In cold weather, that water can freeze and cause extra-slippery roads.

Alternatives to studded tires
Chains and chain-like devices
Chains are more effective than studded tires and are becoming easier to use.
Link chains may not be recommended for use on some types of vehicles; check your owner’s manual.

Other traction tires
Traction tires other than studded tires provide increased traction in winter conditions.
They work about as well as studded tires on ice, but work better than studded tires or regular tires in most other winter conditions.
These other traction tires cause no more damage to road surfaces than regular tires.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:41 PM
milkweed.gardener
Senior User
Originally Posted by Johnpsz
Not a judgement, just a question. Why would you prefer studded tires over other options like good non-studded winter tires and/or chains?
No problem. The conditions I have to drive through, the lane to our house ices over, and so does the bottom half of our driveway... all on a steep enough slope, that our Jeep Grand Cherokee gets stuck regularly with good tires and in 4x4. Everyone I have talked to in the past say the same sort of things, but I still get stuck. Delivery services refuse to come down our lane because they have gotten stuck in less conditions than what I deal with on the worst of days.

Neighbors' driveways are level, but they only pass by in 4x4 with a running start to get over the hump. We have to slow down and turn up hill to get in the driveway, if you don't make it end up slide down the far side of lane and stuck between the embankment and the edge of the hump.

Originally Posted by Johnpsz
I have never used studded tires personally, and have always had a good non-studded winter tire on my trucks and never needed chains or anything. That includes the 2' of snow we used to get overnight where we used to live in PA. Just curious why you may choose one over the other?

Here is what Oregon Dept. of Transportation has to say about it here, not gospel, and other locations vary:
I have not used studs either, but since we have moved, it is now a necessity. Already did the research on studs, and state laws. As I have read, modern studs are not as damaging because they do not protrude as much as ole'timers that had a longer biting edge. Chains and corded alternatives not an option for me. Snow is not the problem for me, it is the ice.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:50 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 443 Likes on 325 Posts
Studs beat out regular good winter tires, no question. I've had both.

I can't help you with the tire size for your truck, as that's heavier than I've ever been.

Do you have a tire shop you trust to talk to about this? They may be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:50 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes,the 19.5 inch rim size is really going to limit your options. But, there has to be a lot of tires that can be studded in this category, you just may well need to plan ahead and order.

Yes, most often studs are mounted on a tire when it's on the rim. Preferably balanced prior and installed on a new tire as it's labour intensive to clean out the rock and stuff to get a good balance otherwise.

That beast of a 450 would work even better with a big blade in the front and a huge sand spreader for weight on the back, I doubt ice would be much an issue with liberal applications of sand on the ice.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:51 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Yes,the 19.5 inch rim size is really going to limit your options. But, there has to be a lot of tires that can be studded in this category, you just may well need to plan ahead and order.

Yes, most often studs are mounted on a tire when it's on the rim. Preferably balanced prior and installed on a new tire as it's labour intensive to clean out the rock and stuff to get a good balance otherwise.

That beast of a 450 would work even better with a big blade in the front and a huge sand spreader for weight on the back, I doubt ice would be much an issue with liberal applications of sand on the ice.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:52 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster

Old 05-25-2017, 06:46 AM
milkweed.gardener
Senior User
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Do you have a tire shop you trust to talk to about this? They may be able to point you in the right direction.
I don't have a preferred tire shop. My thought was, if the tires are mounted on the wheels, then I could drive north to shop that has (presumably) more experience at studding. Since the tires are predrilled, I didn't know if the tire balancing process might cause dirt to fill the predrilled holes. There is a shop in Ohio near lake Erie that advertises that they do stud tires. I could load up the truck bed with the tires and drive there and back in a day. Any further north, we'd probably stay the night somewhere / make a weekend trip out of it.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:59 AM
milkweed.gardener
Senior User
Originally Posted by mhoefer
I found a few more tires to look into last night. If I understand correctly, any tire can be post-drilled and studded, but run the risk of the integrity of the tire being compromised. Hence, pre-drilled from the manufacturer implies they took into account the use of studs in the design and manufacture of the tire.

Good, all the webpages explaining studded tires, and I hadn't seen one describe whether it was on pre- or post- mounted tires. Probably one of those so-obvious no need to mention it. Last night I ran across two webpages about studded bicycle tires. I read half way through before realizing it on both pages.

We have considered it, but we are not in that business, and that stuff has to be stored in the off season. We decided to go with studded tires, we have room in the basement to store the tires.