1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Idiot light help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 02:33 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Idiot light help

Ok I need to run an idiot light for my alternator so what are you guys using led incandescent resistor??
I was thinking led but may need a resistor in addition for it to work any ideas
Oh here is a pic of my current set up

A little rough but it gives me 14.5 v

Old 05-21-2017, 04:07 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Well, you won't have to squint to tell if that's lit! I think I'd use an incandescent. Been a long time since I had a car with one, but I recall that sometimes it would glow dimly. I think an LED might be all or nothing?

Old 05-21-2017, 04:45 PM
burnettd01
Laughing Gas
Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts
Alternator lamp

Roy
Did your Dakota Digital gauges come with a volt meter - does Dakota Digital have a provision for an alt light.

You may want to contact their technical support to see what they suggest.

Most DD dashes have provisions for turn signal, e-brake, and high beam lights. They may be able to help with the Alt light. Worth a phone call anyway.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:55 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well here I am the idiot, hi Roy. First I was going to tease you but I got beat to the punch. I found a few examples of this project on google for what they are worth. I'm no expert by any stretch but the one thing I remember when I converted to led brake lites was they wouldn't work until I got all the incandescent out of that (each) circuit. But when I put in my back up lites they worked fine off the shifter switch which was just off a common 12v fuse block. Note that each back up lite (LED) fixture assembly did have a circuit board in them doing something. That's all I don't know, good luck my friend.https://www.google.com/search?q=wiri...w=1129&bih=520

Old 05-21-2017, 04:56 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by burnettd01
Roy
Did your Dakota Digital gauges come with a volt meter - does Dakota Digital have a provision for an alt light.

You may want to contact their technical support to see what they suggest.

Most DD dashes have provisions for turn signal, e-brake, and high beam lights. They may be able to help with the Alt light. Worth a phone call anyway.
You know I may do just that the gage has v meter and shows correct v but without the light not enough resistance for the alt to make v

Old 05-21-2017, 05:16 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Well, you won't have to squint to tell if that's lit! I think I'd use an incandescent. Been a long time since I had a car with one, but I recall that sometimes it would glow dimly. I think an LED might be all or nothing?
The ones I've read on net guys use a resistor with a led but maybe one is made that has led/resistor all in one

Old 05-21-2017, 05:18 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Well here I am the idiot, hi Roy. First I was going to tease you but I got beat to the punch. I found a few examples of this project on google for what they are worth. I'm no expert by any stretch but the one thing I remember when I converted to led brake lites was they wouldn't work until I got all the incandescent out of that (each) circuit. But when I put in my back up lites they worked fine off the shifter switch which was just off a common 12v fuse block. Note that each back up lite (LED) fixture assembly did have a circuit board in them doing something. That's all I don't know, good luck my friend.https://www.google.com/search?q=wiri...w=1129&bih=520
Thank you jimmy
Yes that's I think I need but also need in put on what other guys have used

Old 05-21-2017, 06:09 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by schoo
The ones I've read on net guys use a resistor with a led but maybe one is made that has led/resistor all in one
They do make those for brake/taillight bulbs, but I don't know about small bulbs.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:11 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Will if there is FTE is where the info is

Old 05-23-2017, 08:53 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
I ended up using a indicator light for the windshield wiper from my E250 parts truck seams to work just a thought do I need a diode? On a circuit like this

Old 05-23-2017, 06:29 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 970 Likes on 864 Posts
I'm running a single LED bulb for my turn signal indicator. Since I have switched to all LEDs, the flasher unit is a heavy duty, (read that commercial vehicle unit), designed to operate, without issue, on multiple LED bulb systems.
For me, it was as simple as taking the indicator lead from the turn signal switch and running to the single bulb in my dashboard. Single bulbs can be bought all over ebay and through other suppliers. I think I have a couple extra laying here. Let me know if you need one.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:35 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by pbsdaddy
I'm running a single LED bulb for my turn signal indicator. Since I have switched to all LEDs, the flasher unit is a heavy duty, (read that commercial vehicle unit), designed to operate, without issue, on multiple LED bulb systems.
For me, it was as simple as taking the indicator lead from the turn signal switch and running to the single bulb in my dashboard. Single bulbs can be bought all over ebay and through other suppliers. I think I have a couple extra laying here. Let me know if you need one.
Thanks I'm good with what I have, just concerned with back feed from the alternator I don't know very much about magic(electrical)

Old 05-23-2017, 08:13 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
If the engine wants to keep running after you turn off the key, then you need a diode. Otherwise, not needed. Note that a diode might allow you to run an LED because they have a definite resistance even in the "forward" direction.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:29 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
If the engine wants to keep running after you turn off the key, then you need a diode. Otherwise, not needed. Note that a diode might allow you to run an LED because they have a definite resistance even in the "forward" direction.
Thanks Ross it turns off

Old 05-23-2017, 08:53 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Wire from alternator

Not sure what year your 302 is but my '90 5.0L has a wire from the alternator that used to run back to the instrument panel, and idiot light. I think the wire is green with red tracer or red with green tracer. ( I would have to confirm that.) The incandescant light bulb was parallel connected to the wire with the gauge and then ground. I currently do not have it connected, but do have a wiring diagram for my donor.

Quick Reply: Idiot light help