Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yowza! TS 6 position chip

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 03:01 PM
cason234
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yowza! TS 6 position chip

Fellow OBS enthusiasts.... I had to tell someone about my recent experience with a TS 6 position chip for my 95 7.3 PSD F350. In summary, it is like I bought a new truck - I'm totally impressed! The entire driving experience is better! I run it on the 75hp setting and just leave it. The part I like the best, however, is something quite unexpected. Since I bought the truck 4 years ago, it has driven great, but always a cranky start in the AM..... cold weather , hot weather, cold start, warm start, didn't matter. It would ALWAYS show the glow plug light for a long time, and then would ROMP ferociously for a few seconds..... then it'd stabilize and run fine. I figured I was getting air in my fuel system and it needed to run air bubbles out of the fuel line. I'd been studying up on eFuel..... figuring I'd have to roll up my sleeves and do that some time soon. Once I put the chip in, everything changed. From the first start, it immediately snapped to life and settled into a smooth idle. The glow plug light shows only for a few seconds, and it fires up with enthusiasm. This has eliminated the inevitable 'cringe' I had each time I'd start the truck.... hoping no one would notice the awkward first few seconds.
Anyways, no specific point to this post, other than to share my happy experience with a TS 6 position chip! I'm thrilled with the result (and it was easy to install too!). Regarding performance..... excellent. On the 75hp setting, the initial takeoff seems much more peppy.... Shifts are quick and snappy (I also have a shift kit). The truck feels great! Can't say enough good about how it feels.

At the same time, 2 other unrelated changes that contribute to the 'new truck' feeling....... to get at the computer for the chip install, I had to remove the emergency brake pedal assembly. It always squeaked when I used it. Since I had it apart, I cleaned and greased it. Now, it is like a Cadillac parking brake. Quiet and squeak free! Also, my driver door no longer could be opened by the inside handle. I replaced the cable, the handle and while I was in there, replaced both door locks and the ignition tumbler...... Now all three work with the same key (I'd been using 2 different keys for a while)..... plenty of grease on the lock mechanism and the door mechanism itself. Now it feels like a new truck. Can't believe how a few maintenance items make an old truck feel brand new. Figured you might all appreciate what I'm talking about.

Cheers to all

Old 05-16-2017, 06:07 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How difficult was this installation? (I'm sure it's documented all over the place, but I figured I'd ask your personal experience.)

With the increase in power (and obviously consumption of fuel), how is the mileage? Have you done any towing with it?

I myself am somewhere between getting a larger blower (or even doing a compound turbo setup for low-rpm boost and one for high-rpm boost) or chipping my truck.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:31 PM
cason234
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Josh, it was pretty simple. Simpler, in fact, than I'd expected. I'd seen videos on YOUTUBE that involved removing the computer from the engine side of the firewall. Foolishly, I ignore the included instructions, and tried to remove the computer through the firewall. Took me 30 minutes and I realized it was going to be a problem. The included instructions told me just to remove the parking brake pedal assembly (just 3 bolts), and sure enough, there it was! It was easy to access, and very easy to install the chip. The point that the instructions made super clear was to make sure you cleaned all the protective wax off the terminals before installing the chip. I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid! I cleaned those terminals 3 times with the supplied scotchbrite pad to make sure I wouldn't have a problem. And I didn't...... it ran perfect the first time. So, to summarize - super easy install. Not including fiddling with trying to get the computer out through the firewall, it took me less than 45 minutes.

I can't say about fuel mileage..... I haven't checked yet. Also, I haven't towed with it yet. However, many reviews can be found online that verify the benefits of this chip. I say it is tremendous bang for the buck! I'm thrilled with the result. If you're not sure what to do, I say give it a try. It really feels like a new truck!

PS: I have a similar truck to yours: 1995 2WD CCLB F350 Dually A4, PSD with 165,000 miles.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:21 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll do some looking into it! It'd be nice to get a power boost when needed, and then tune it down if I'm not needing it.

Time to browse YouTube and the web!