6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

E350 Van Glow Plug Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 09:07 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
E350 Van Glow Plug Replacement

Anyone replace the glow plugs on the E350 van? My #6 plug according the the code P0676 indicates that this plug, the harness or the GPCM is bad. It's the driver side plugs that need attention. I can see them from the dog house. I can see them from under the van. If I get the glow plug(s) out, how can I get it back in since it's so tight? It looks like the exhaust manifold needs removing.

I am stumped.

Now if you want to read something really stupid that I did read on...I was stumped last Thursday. I called a Craigslist mechanic who said he worked on the 6.0 van. I gave him a general address to my complex. I wanted to check out this dude before he gained entry in my van. By the looks of this character, he probably gained entry in San Quentin!

He shows up in POS 1996 Acura. I was hoping it was not my mobile mechanic. He calls me on the phone and says "Is that you?" I asked myself how I am going to get out of this mess?

All his tools are in 1 bag. He asked if I had a 10 mm socket! His arms and body were so skinny that it was a wonder how he had so many tattoos. The skinny arms and frail body seemed like an asset working on the 6.0. With amazing authority he said he needed to remove the valve cover to get at the glow plugs! This was after he mentioned the injectors needed removal.

He forgot his scanner and left his DVM at one of his many houses. He had one flashlight and it needed new batteries.

His wife sat in the car smoking butts while the hero dismantled part of my van. Having enough of this nonsense, I helped him put my van back together. He failed to connect the charge cooler hose and it blew off when I put my foot to the floor on a test drive the next day.

Long story short, I paid him $30 and told him to have a nice night.

The following day I ask the local mechanic who does my smog check about changing the glow plugs. He said "No problem, $80". I asked again if he was sure because the glow plugs are buried. NO problem, easy! I loved his enthusiasm. He is from India and those guys burn anything in a vehicle. I figured he may know a thing or 2 about the 6.0.

Long story short, he calls me today and says he needs to put the van up on his lift to gain access. I road my adult scooter to the shop, picked up the van, the glow plugs, and all my notes that detailed the testing procedure and told him to have a nice day.

My ace in the hole is a Ford master tech located 80 miles from my house. He moon lights and will do it for $200. At this point, I am willing to pay $500 to shut down idiots who claim it's easy.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:17 PM
163junk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pay the 200. You might want to have a new gp harness in the pile too. The glow plug is the easy part, getting the harness off in one piece is the hard part. The tool is useless on a van, no room to use it. Did you check the connector at the GPCM for continuity to that glow plug? If not I would start there to confirm a bad GP.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:34 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 163junk
Pay the 200. You might want to have a new gp harness in the pile too. The glow plug is the easy part, getting the harness off in one piece is the hard part. The tool is useless on a van, no room to use it. Did you check the connector at the GPCM for continuity to that glow plug? If not I would start there to confirm a bad GP.
I have not checked continuity from the GPCM to the glow plug. Do I use the DVM and probe from GPCM to the harness connecting to #6?

I already bought the glow plugs and harness for $80. I figured that if I don't really need everything, I can sell it for half price on eBay.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:02 AM
163junk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes check the lead from #6 to ground with a dvom, or just a test light clipped to battery and probe the same lead.