1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Chrome vs Powder Coating

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 03:52 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Chrome vs Powder Coating

Rec'd quote on chroming the alternator or oil pressure gauge bezel: OMG, what a shock, out of the 6 may narrow it down to 2?

Curious if member's had items powder coated chrome; if so, appreciate comments?

In next few days intend taking couple 65 steel grille for a quote on powder coated, probably white? I will also inquire if they offer a chrome powder coating same/similar color to chrome; if so, and considerably cheaper, select a couple as a spearmint? If there is no significant difference in cost then I will walk across the street, select a couple bezel and have them chromed?

Old 04-21-2017, 05:13 PM
66with352
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Keep us posted!

Old 04-21-2017, 05:37 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 66with352
Keep us posted!
Will do.

Based on conversation with platter there are a couple of bezel's likely can not be chromed? Looking at another option; cyber searching and came across product on Eastwood website, Extreme Chrome Bonding Powder Coat, received mixed customer reviews; however, 1 customer posted results which gives me the urge to try the product; can't see any harm in spearminting with bezels that aint salvageable.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:50 PM
66v8baby
Fleet Mechanic
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm getting ready to do the same thing. I got wildly different estimates from 2 different shops. The one that specializes in automotive restoration was crazy expensive. The local shop was about 1/4 the cost. I'm going to give them a try.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:59 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 66v8baby
I'm getting ready to do the same thing. I got wildly different estimates from 2 different shops. The one that specializes in automotive restoration was crazy expensive. The local shop was about 1/4 the cost. I'm going to give them a try.
Have yet to recover from quote from local shop who have an outstanding rep for quality work, probly have them chrome couple bezels; meantime, experiment thru powder coat shop, or DIY kit?

Old 04-22-2017, 02:33 PM
Amish65F100
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Id stick with chrome myself.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:05 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Amish65F100
Id stick with chrome myself.
I agree, most likely chrome 2!! If the powder coat shop offers anything close to chrome color, at reasonable cost then experiment with a couple; otherwise, try the $16 Eastwood product?

Thanks for the input!

Old 04-23-2017, 03:53 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are a lot of chromers out there but the good ones are far and few between.
4 steps for a good chrome job.
1. The item must be stripped and the metal clean.
2. Copper and Nickel dipped - you must have both for a long lasting chrome job. During the C & N part of the process is where they perfect surface of the item before the the final process of the chrome dip.
3. Final process is the chrome dip. Show chrome with usually get about 3 dips.

NOTE : Some chromers will try to omit the nickel process due to cost. GOOD LUCK with the chrome staying on the metal for very long. Ask me how I know this. :-((((

Old 04-23-2017, 04:50 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by The Masked Rider
There are a lot of chromers out there but the good ones are far and few between.
4 steps for a good chrome job.
1. The item must be stripped and the metal clean.
2. Copper and Nickel dipped - you must have both for a long lasting chrome job. During the C & N part of the process is where they perfect surface of the item before the the final process of the chrome dip.
3. Final process is the chrome dip. Show chrome with usually get about 3 dips.

NOTE : Some chromers will try to omit the nickel process due to cost. GOOD LUCK with the chrome staying on the metal for very long. Ask me how I know this. :-((((
Yes, definately get what you pay-for when it comes to platting shops. I am familiar with a few platting shops in the area, had items chromed and eventually pitted within a couple years. The chrome shop doing the work has chromed a few large items for me in the past, outstanding job, seems many of the chrome shops have since outsourced the platting process and now focus on buffing the finished product.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:08 PM
shipwrecked
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an aluminum grill and stripped it down and hand polished it... didn't like it. Took it to the powdercoat shop I've been using for two years and they cowted it in kromite/clear.

Name:  32DF9E5B-7F35-4A3A-B5C2-3BDDA9031CF0_zpsn5zflxci.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  165.1 KB

Looks awesome.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:41 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by shipwrecked
I have an aluminum grill and stripped it down and hand polished it... didn't like it. Took it to the powdercoat shop I've been using for two years and they cowted it in kromite/clear.

Looks awesome.
Agree, awesome: Across the street from the chrome platter is The Refinishing shop where I intend getting a quote on having 2 steel 65 grilles powder coated. Might as well spearmint with couple gauge bezels, if the price is reasonable.

Did same as U with 65 grille; used anodize stripper, sanded, after buffing to desired sheen, aerosol can of clear, this was several years ago and it's
time for a re-do. Looking forward to experimenting with powder coat.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:05 AM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Dave:
I know we were discussing instrument bezels being chromed, and I have been through this before....but apparently not quite prepared enough for the estimate I got! Unfortunately, to me, nothing looks like chrome and, since I want all my trim to match for consistency...its what I'm going to have to use. I don't care for the mix of anodization and chrome on the exterior....that's what I get for choosing!

Old 04-29-2017, 12:10 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Agree. Years ago, took the aluminum grille to platter, since intend using the truck as family work horse, he advised it would not be practical to chrome an aluminum grille, explaining road debris striking the soft metal would probly magnify any dents, or marring. Got me a thinkin, own, and have family members who reside in Lebec; caught by surprise thru couple Kern County 'brown-out'; plowing agricultural fields, mixed with the strong Santa Anna winds where sand and dirt sought every orifice known to my body.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:43 PM
66v8baby
Fleet Mechanic
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm going to give this place a try: nuprintcustoms.com/hd-chrome/. As long as both bezels are done the same way I think it will look fine, and cost a fraction of what real chroming would. I saw some of their work on one of the TV car shows and it looked pretty darn good.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:49 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 66v8baby
I'm going to give this place a try: nuprintcustoms.com/hd-chrome/. As long as both bezels are done the same way I think it will look fine, and cost a fraction of what real chroming would. I saw some of their work on one of the TV car shows and it looked pretty darn good.
Thank you for the link, sent them an email regarding the bezel, asking for a 'ball park' quote, pending photo's. From my experience, with the cost of shipping decided to hold off until receive a quote from local shop?

Greatly appreciate the link.

Quick Reply: Chrome vs Powder Coating