6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 Engine knock, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 03:30 PM
motionmatt
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
6.7 Engine knock, HELP!!

My new to me (2K miles now) 2013 F350 with 52k miles just developed a knock. Still under warranty but would like to hear some thoughts.

Got any ideas?
Oil changed 600 miles ago, Oil level good. No codes or CELs

Old 04-01-2017, 04:10 PM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust leak? Make appt with dealer NOW!

Old 04-01-2017, 04:26 PM
motionmatt
Mountain Pass
I thought about exhaust leak too, it just sounds so different from gas engine leaks Ive experienced. BUT it does seem more pronounced under a little load like in the video. When I am in Park and just rev it up a bit it isnt as loud but definitely still there.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:30 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
I know you hate to be without your truck, but get it to the dealer ASAP.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:36 PM
motionmatt
Mountain Pass
Ive already attempted to call them but closed until Monday. Im calling Monday morning but Im going to continue to drive and plow snow this weekend. No CELs so as far as I know, I just have an annoying noise to listen to.

Some videos on youtube point to injector problems sounding the same as mine. I looked at my injector volumes on Torque Pro app and they are all similar values, nothing stands out.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:29 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I hate to say it sometimes but I kind of think you're doing the right thing. If something is wrong try to just blow it up and you'll get a new engine. It is terribly inconvenient though.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:35 PM
motionmatt
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I hate to say it sometimes but I kind of think you're doing the right thing. If something is wrong try to just blow it up and you'll get a new engine. It is terribly inconvenient though.
If it ends up needing a new engine, Im going to get a different truck one way or another. Ive owned this for 30 days now and its been in the shop twice already for non-engine related crap. All minor and easily resolved but still.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:00 PM
allcool
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry to tell you, but thats a rod knock for sure...

Do not drive it any more at all is my advise , take it or leave it.

If the bad rod comes lose (like it will some time soon) your repair bill just quadrupled or more.

As of now a repair might just consist of a rebuild with new rod and new crank/bearings. Once engine rod breaks, might need a new block and everything that goes with it. Once that rod breaks lose and starts spinning around in there, its like a buzz saw and takes out the whole engine pretty much.

JFYI, I've heard that exact noise in your vid, before taking apart engines, many times. And know that awful noise too well.

jmo

Old 04-01-2017, 06:26 PM
motionmatt
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by allcool
Sorry to tell you, but thats a rod knock for sure...

Do not drive it any more at all is my advise , take it or leave it.

If the bad rod comes lose (like it will some time soon) your repair bill just quadrupled or more.

As of now a repair might just consist of a rebuild with new rod and new crank/bearings. Once engine rod breaks, might need a new block and everything that goes with it. Once that rod breaks lose and starts spinning around in there, its like a buzz saw and takes out the whole engine pretty much.

JFYI, I've heard that exact noise in your vid, before taking apart engines, many times. And know that awful noise too well.

jmo
How common are spun rod bearings on the 6.7 with 50K miles? I drove about 20 miles from the time I first noticed the noise until the time I made this video. Spun rod bearing would have grenaded by then I would think. The sound sounds like a faint tick in the cab with the windows up.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:36 PM
allcool
Senior User
Originally Posted by motionmatt
How common are spun rod bearings on the 6.7 with 50K miles? I drove about 20 miles from the time I first noticed the noise until the time I made this video. Spun rod bearing would have grenaded by then I would think. The sound sounds like a faint tick in the cab with the windows up.
You made a good video, unmistakable knock that goes with engine crank/rod rpm. No, not a tick, a rod knock for sure.

No way to tell with a used truck what caused it. Maybe after a engine tear down it might be obvious, or not...

Surprisingly, a rod knock can sometimes go on for a while, or sometimes come apart fast. No way to tell. Although if i can hear it that good in your vid, its bad.

Good your under warranty, hope its covered. Is the truck all stock..?

No, not common, although as with all engines sometimes they break. These 6.7 engines seem to be very good. Have heard of a few though. Usually caused by neglect, low oil/old bad oil/no oil, etc, or heavily tuned big big boost.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:59 PM
motionmatt
Mountain Pass
100% stock no mods or tunes. I just got it 2000 miles ago. Dealer did oil change 600 miles ago when it was in for a new DEF pump and other items. They also did the fuel filters then too. Shouldn't it be 100% covered under factory warranty?

The video was taken 2 feet away from a garage to let the echo help capture the noise.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:08 PM
allcool
Senior User
Originally Posted by motionmatt
100% stock no mods or tunes. I just got it 2000 miles ago. Dealer did oil change 600 miles ago when it was in for a new DEF pump and other items. They also did the fuel filters then too. Shouldn't it be 100% covered under factory warranty?
I would hope so.

As long as its stock and no neglect or prior mods can be accessed, and its within its 5 year 100,000 mile warranty period(iirr), should be covered.

Anyone thats done engine rebuilds and torn down engines that have your noise will know that unmistakable rod knock noise...

Old 04-01-2017, 08:15 PM
willydmax
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with ruschejj, drive it and if it's got internal issues they will show up sooner that way. Ford should take care of you with those low miles.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:20 PM
motionmatt
Mountain Pass
What does a replacement engine under warranty entail? Week long job? Will Ford pay for my rental truck? Is my cab going to have to be removed? Is the new engine warrantied for 100K miles or just the remainder of what my odometer says?

Old 04-01-2017, 09:56 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds like a rod knock or a really bad lifter. I would hope they replace at least the short block and not just the bad rod and bearing. If it were to blow completely before you bring it in they would have to. (just sayin). If the warranty is 5yrs or 100,000 miles which ever comes first is the end of the warranty. I would hope they won't deny your claim for using it to plow snow. If the motor has to come out the cab will have to come off, there is a guy here locally that supposedly can take them off in 45 minutes.

Quick Reply: 6.7 Engine knock, HELP!!