1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1952 F3

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 05:18 PM
Nick Olsen
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1952 F3

Hello,
I'm in the process of working on my first project truck. I don't know don't have a huge knowledge on trucks, but I do know some. I don't know really where to start.
As far as the truck goes, it's 1952 F3. The previous owner lost interest in it. He did do a motor and tranny swap, 390 and a 3 speed out of a '68 Fairlane Gt.
The rear window is shattered, there is someone nearby that have the glass out of a 51 F2. Would it fit?

Old 03-29-2017, 05:40 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 261 Likes on 215 Posts
Welcome. Glad to have another F-3 join the group. I see from your profile that you live in Illinois. What area? I'm in the Spfld area. Your glass will swap just fine. You'll probably want to put in new rubber with it. Stu

Old 03-29-2017, 05:49 PM
Nick Olsen
Freshman User
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Welcome. Glad to have another F-3 join the group. I see from your profile that you live in Illinois. What area? I'm in the Spfld area. Your glass will swap just fine. You'll probably want to put in new rubber with it. Stu
Im from Carbondale. Thanks for the info! I got a LMC magazine, and everything says either F1 or F2. I thought I had heard somewhere most cab parts would fit a F3. Not positive though, I'd hate to spend money and it not work.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:49 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Congrats on that! It looks great....actually looks pretty solid..if you plan on driving it make sure it safe

Old 03-29-2017, 05:53 PM
Nick Olsen
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jafo56
Congrats on that! It looks great....actually looks pretty solid..if you plan on driving it make sure it safe
It is pretty solid, worst rust is on parts of the bed. The frame has very little rust. As far as making it safe, i plan on doing all new brake hoses and lines and changing the brakes themselves to start.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:54 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Welcome from Maine.

That is a nice solid truck there. The F-3 specific body parts that aren't available new and hard to find are in pretty good shape on yours.
Nearly everything else can be found as new reproduction parts since the F1 shares quite a few parts.
Looks like you have an extra tailgate. Nice...those are one of the hardest parts to find. You might be able to trade that with a member here that has something else you need.

Tom

Old 03-29-2017, 05:59 PM
Nick Olsen
Freshman User
Originally Posted by pineconeford
Welcome from Maine.

That is a nice solid truck there. The F-3 specific body parts that aren't available new and hard to find are in pretty good shape on yours.
Nearly everything else can be found as new reproduction parts since the F1 shares quite a few parts.
Looks like you have an extra tailgate. Nice...those are one of the hardest parts to find. You might be able to trade that with a member here that has something else you need.

Tom
Thanks! I thought that they shared a few things. I have just started looking at parts, wasn't aware that tailgates were a rare find. One of them isn't in the best of shape though.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:01 PM
pineconeford

As for brakes...the front ones could be 12" and shoes and cylinders aren't hard to find. The rears could be 14" and it gets a little trickier to find parts. But not impossible. Just need to measure and carefully examine what you have to match them up with new parts. Your master cylinder has a larger bore than the 1/2 ton and you have larger diameter brake lines.
Upgrades to whole brake system can be done - for example convert to disc in the front and still keep the 8-lug pattern.
Lots of advice and information here in the archives. Search for '8-lug' and many threads will appear that will cover F2 and F3 wheels/brakes/rear differential topics.
good luck and thanks for posting pictures.
We like that!

Old 03-29-2017, 06:07 PM
pineconeford

Originally Posted by Nick Olsen
.... wasn't aware that tailgates were a rare find. One of them isn't in the best of shape though.
Any shape F2/F3 tailgate is still a good thing.
Welders/fabricators can make them look good and straight again. It's harder to make a reproduction F1 tailgate ever work for someone who is missing a tailgate. Like stretching a queen size sheet to fit a king sized bed.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:09 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 261 Likes on 215 Posts
Stock rear brakes in 1952 are Bendix 12". The 14" Lockheeds went away mid year 1951. If the p.o. swapped in the 390 and 3 speed he might have swapped the rear end too. If not a 1967 to 1972 F-250 Dana 60 is an easy swap. Stu

Old 03-29-2017, 06:09 PM
Nick Olsen
Freshman User
As for brakes...the front ones could be 12" and shoes and cylinders aren't hard to find. The rears could be 14" and it gets a little trickier to find parts. But not impossible. Just need to measure and carefully examine what you have to match them up with new parts. Your master cylinder has a larger bore than the 1/2 ton and you have larger diameter brake lines.
Upgrades to whole brake system can be done - for example convert to disc in the front and still keep the 8-lug pattern.
Lots of advice and information here in the archives. Search for '8-lug' and many threads will appear that will cover F2 and F3 wheels/brakes/rear differential topics.
good luck and thanks for posting pictures.
We like that!

Thanks for the info! I'm sure there will be more pictures to come! I plan on doing a full restoration on it. I'm waiting to do much to the body, my fiancée wanted an old ford at our wedding. So I was given the permission to buy this one!

Old 03-29-2017, 06:12 PM
Nick Olsen
Freshman User
Any shape F2/F3 tailgate is still a good thing.
Welders/fabricators can make them look good and straight again. It's harder to make a reproduction F1 tailgate ever work for someone who is missing a tailgate. Like stretching a queen size sheet to fit a king sized bed.

Definitely something I'll keep in mind! I'm sure I'll find something I want or need for it!

Old 03-29-2017, 06:15 PM
pineconeford

Originally Posted by Nick Olsen
Thanks! I thought that they shared a few things. ....
Everything in and on the cab is the same for all 51/52 models.

Might be easier to mention what isn't the same with a 1/2 ton:

Frame, all four fenders, bed, tailgate, brakes, steering box, running boards, rear leaf springs, rear differential.

Other than that, you can pick up some parts catalogs (LMC Truck, Dennis Carpenter for example) and go nuts fitting up that truck with anything it needs that you want to buy new.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Nick Olsen
Freshman User
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Stock rear brakes in 1952 are Bendix 12". The 14" Lockheeds went away mid year 1951. If the p.o. swapped in the 390 and 3 speed he might have swapped the rear end too. If not a 1967 to 1972 F-250 Dana 60 is an easy swap. Stu
Thanks for the info! Everything is original except the motor and tranny he said. Don't laugh, but what's the reasoning for the rear end swap? I don't have a lot of experience with trucks yet. I figured I'd learn working on this one.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:21 PM
Nick Olsen
Freshman User
Everything in and on the cab is the same for all 51/52 models.

Might be easier to mention what isn't the same with a 1/2 ton:

Frame, all four fenders, bed, tailgate, brakes, steering box, running boards, rear leaf springs, rear differential.
I figured that would be the case. Wasn't sure, I was looking at a bench seat out of a F1 but wasn't sure if it'd work. Someone already bought now. Better to be sure than sorry I guess.

Quick Reply: 1952 F3