1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Is it worth restoring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 10:30 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,453 Posts
Originally Posted by ranger pat
If you got a title with the deal, $300 is a steal. You could easily resell it on eBay for 5-8 hundred. If it were mine, I would do a Mustang II front end, 302 carb engine with C-4 auto
trans. Probably the hardest part to find would be stock bench seat, so be willing to settle for salvage yard buckets or Ranger/S10 bench type seats.
I saw a stock bench seat, at least the seat part, standing on end outside the cab in the second picture.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:31 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I think you have to answer some questions first. What are my skills like? do i have the tools ,welder grinders etc. Will i tire of working on this a year from now? do I have a son of age that would want to bond with his dad over this truck? If you feel you are missing a passion in your life this just might be the boost you needed.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:38 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It's an early - mid 70's 472 or 500 Caddy.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 AM
Indybeer
Laughing Gas
Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts

Here is what mine looked like before I started. I was looking for a shop to have the metal work done, but was convinced by members of this forum to do the work myself.

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be!

Old 03-20-2017, 07:05 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I started with a truck about that shape. It was a 5 year project that I enjoyed immensely. If I had the energy and the time I'd do it again but arthritis and old age has done me in...

Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 AM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
Many personal questions and goals to answer first but I ( with 30+years of autobody ) am amazed at what some on here have tackled and done well at with the vast amount of help and encouragement found on here . Your truck is in far nicer shape than lots so if you feel it's too much for you I have no doubt that some one would be overjoyed to have such a solid start and you would still have the satisfaction of knowing that you did save it .

Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You have a truck that appears to have a body in better shape than my 1956 F500 when I got it. I had gaping holes all over! My floor was collapsed, both doors rotted out, both cowl panels rotted out, both interior and exterior fenders shot, hood shoot, roof shot and both rear corners shot. If your motor is indeed seized then a replacement Y-Block should only be a few hundred on craigslist. If you're lucky you might find one attached to a good transmission. I spent $5200 in parts on my truck (the tires alone were $1500) and one year of calculated, hard labor to finish my project. You CAN get this truck on the road and absolutely love it for about the same if you are diligent and practice patience. Not to toot my own horn but I am proof of that.

Before and after:

Attached Images   
Old 03-20-2017, 12:31 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If it has a title, keep it, build it, love it, drive it, and enjoy the process you will not be disappointed. looks as sound as most new projects. Oh yeah, welcome to FTE the best darn site on the web when it comes to these old beauties and us old guys that bring them back to life (some better than others) but they are all very nice eager to help kind of guys.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:41 PM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
I would not build it (I say that in jest anymore I like them running and do little things to them) . I say that since I am older now ten years ago I started one like that and it was fun. The first thing that I would do is dismantle it and have it blasted then you can tell if it is what you want to tackle. Its the trip not the destination .Good Luck on what ever you decide. I love what these guys do on here It is nice to read and look.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:13 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Welcome to the site

As already stated the truck looks to be in solid condition. Do an inventory on what you don't have, then put a cost to acquire the parts in order to get it road worthy.

I think the key is whether you have the "passion" to see it running. I know I enjoyed every challenge I encountered to get mine on the road. There is definitely more info on this site than you will need to complete the project. It took me 8 1/2 years to get mine on the road but this site is the place to be if you are looking for enablers.

Its only money and time.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:21 AM
1956_F100
Elder User
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks solid for something sitting outdoors untouched for years. At least I don't see any rust through in the pictures. I think if you got it to the stage of media blasted to remove all the rust and sealed with something like an epoxy primer it would seem like a completely different truck and not seem so daunting of a task. You have to break projects like these down into stages. It will get overwhelming if all you see is the entire truck to be restored instead of individual parts or subassemblies of it.

From the looks of the area you won't have to worry about neighbors complaining of paint odors or overspray.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:14 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you choose to build this beautiful truck your all ready ahead. Looks pretty solid when cleaned up. It'll make you happy and keep you busy.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:34 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Osoford
I purchased a 53 f100 yesterday for $300 because the owner was going to put it out in his field to let rot as yard art and I couldn't stomach the thought of letting that happen. This is my first truck of this age and I didn't realize how much more expensive and difficult it is to get parts for vs my 75. That being said is it worth me sinking a bunch of time and money into this truck or should I part it out? Sell it to someone with a little bigger budget? Or? I hate seeing old rigs go to waste but I may have gotten myself into more of a mess than I can handle at the moment. Now for pictures.
My wife is convinced I have addiction issues, I disagree.
I agree . . . that truck looks restorable to me. Better than some that we have seen. Will the engine turn by hand? It all depends upon your levels of skill and desire.

I'm not sure what parts you priced out but I don't think that there is much difference in parts prices. Also I would think that the '75 has more parts. Obtaining the parts you need for you '53 is not difficult but the best sources are on the web for most parts not local parts stores..

Old 03-21-2017, 03:47 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
You could just try what was said earlier and do a little work yourself for a dirty daily, but it won't win shows--or your wifes heart.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:16 PM
hoss73ford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your '53 isn't a whole lot worse than my '56 was. Just about everything on mine had some sort of dent or rust spot in it except the hood & the bed. And with a little patience and of course a lot of elbow grease, anything's possible. Since August, I've found 3 good rust free fenders, one door and a better cab for less than $1000 combined on Craigslist or in one of the nearby small towns. And there is no way I'll have $25K to $30K in it unless I have someone else do all the work & I feel there's no need to spend $10K on a paint job when Maaco will do it nice for $1500 as I'm doing this for me and not to win any trophies.

Quick Reply: Is it worth restoring?