Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ignition switch replacement causing brain damage

Old 03-17-2017, 09:46 PM
mytoolman
Senior User
mytoolman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mytoolman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ignition switch replacement causing brain damage

my old ignition switch has failed causing no power to go to the coil sometimes in the on position in my NINETEEN FIFTY FIVE FORD TRUCK. It appears this is the original 61 year old ignition switch. I had the truck converted last year to negative ground in May. In December while I was out of the country a mechanic friend added a 12 volt system and replaced most of the harness with one of the original look a like harnesses from the internet. It worked fine until last week when the ancient ignition switch failed. The switch in the truck has three threaded poles that the wires attach to. There IS A SEPARATE stock push button starter button still mounted in its factory installed position on the far left of the dash that I want to retain and use to crank the starter. The new replacement ignition switches available uses the 1956 design that went to 12 volt. The replacement also is capable or turning over the starter. I have not been able to find instructions to show what pole on the old 3 pole switch goes with what pole on the replacement 12 volt switch that has an additional pole making it have FOUR Poles to mount the wires to. Surely I am not the only person to look at this and say do I put this wire on this stud of this new switch or on any of the remaining 3 poles?..... The one diagram I have seen that came with the new replacement switch shows the poles described this way on the original 1955 THREE pole switch: One pole is listed as 1."AM" another listed as 2. "GA" and the third as 3. "COL". The FOUR Poles on the 1956 12 volt that also has starter abilities built into the switch but again I prefer to keep the isolated starter button functional instead are listed as: 1 "ACC" 2. "BATT" 3. "IGN" 4. "STR" can any of you all tell me where to position the wires onto the new switch so everything works correctly? Example Do I take the wires that are connected to the "AM" pole of the old switch and place them on the "ACC" or the "BATT" or the " IGN" or the pole marked "STR" and so on for the other 2 poles of the old switch vs the new?

Old 03-18-2017, 06:15 AM
merten
Elder User
merten has a very good reputation on FTE.merten has a very good reputation on FTE.merten has a very good reputation on FTE.merten has a very good reputation on FTE.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...itch-help.html

"STR" not used in your application

Old 03-18-2017, 08:38 AM
mytoolman
Senior User
mytoolman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mytoolman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thank you

Now that I see what you have sent that shows the equivalence, it totally is clear...it would have been nice if the included instructions showed what you offered...thanks for taking the time to answer my plea...

Old 03-18-2017, 08:47 AM
mytoolman
Senior User
Thank you

Originally Posted by merten View Post
Now that you have answered I totally get it...the included instructions showed both switches but not what the equivalence was for each switches markings...silly that they didn't includethat correlation. .thank you now the brain drain can stop for this subject. ..thank you for taking the time to help me..
​​​​​