1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

I need ignition switch help fast!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 12:33 PM
adunham
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need ignition switch help fast!!!!

Hi guys....Its 10:30 on Sunday morning. I went outside to start the truck this morning (1962 Unibody) and it wouldn't go. I'm pretty sure its the ignition switch that has finally given out, as I've had problems in the past (having to wiggle the key and such). I searched the forum archives and have removed the bezel and pulled the switch out from the back. Now what? The switch appears to be hardwired...three wires plug into the switch and can be removed, but there is an additional bundle of wires that goes into the switch that have no visible connector. The back of the switch looks like it is made of rubber (bundle passes through this rubber), and I can separate it from the metal body of the switch just a little bit. Is there a way to pop this switch off for a quick replacement. I'm in a real time crunch here! Also, I've started cars and truck before at the starter solenoid, but never under the dash. What wires need to be connected so I can get this thing to the parts store?

thanks,

-aaron

Old 10-05-2003, 12:46 PM
stepman
Posting Guru
Can you post a pic? I see you're in az. Where?

Old 10-05-2003, 12:53 PM
adunham
Senior User
I figured out how to separate the wire bundle - had to unscrew two nuts from the center post on the back. Now I need some hot-wiring advice....

thanks,

aaron

BTW, I'm in downtown Phoenix @ Roosevelt, Grand, & 15th ave

Old 10-05-2003, 12:55 PM
adunham
Senior User
Also, what years of switches will work in this application? I don't think autozone or checker carry back to 1962....

Old 10-05-2003, 01:14 PM
stepman
Posting Guru
They should carry a "generic" switch that will get you by in a pinch. It's hard to say how do do that "blind". What do you have for wires back there?

Old 10-05-2003, 02:49 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't waste your time with Auto Zone or Advance auto parts. Go to a real auto parts store like NAPA or CarQuest. Those other places don't anything other than "Rice Rockets". Give them part number C3AZ 11572-A and they can cross it over. It actually fits 61-64 Ford cars.

Barry

Old 10-05-2003, 07:27 PM
adunham
Senior User
Barry -

Got your message too late - I actually found one at autozone and a new key cylinder, too. The new switch is exactly the same as the old except its missing a post for one of the external wires to plug into. I installed it anyway and it works like a charm (we'll see how long it lasts, then I'll probably end up at NAPA Now I just have to figure out where that unplugged wire goes....

thanks,

-aaron