1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1954 F100 Solid Side Windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:11 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
1954 F100 Solid Side Windows

Hello All,
New member on here. I purchased a 1954 Ford F100 last year and it has been a work in progress ever since. It has been done in a 1960's full custom style with a 5" chop and many custom body modifications. I'll make a proper introduction with pictures soon.

I'm currently working on the interior. The vent windows were removed prior to my ownership and it came a 'new' solid side window kit. However, I am quickly discovering that all the parts were not included. I found instructions on how the one piece window conversion is supposed to be done, but I'm running into complications because of the chop top. I'm also hoping that I won't have to add power windows.

1. Instructions say to re-use the stock window channel on locking side of the door. However, I don't have the stock channels. They were missing. Does anyone reproduce the channels? Or perhaps someone on here may have or know someone with a set of used channels?

2. I have a set of curved glass solid side windows. Is there a way to cut/ trim the top of the glass to compensate for the chop top?

3. A new channel will need to be built for the hinge side. It seems that it is just 3/4" U shaped steel. Anyone know what stock may work?

Thanks,
-Brian

Old 03-03-2017, 09:07 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Welcome to FTE

Lots of questions here.

1. Keep an eye on Fleabay for used channels.
2. Take your glass to a local glass shop and ask if they can cut it to size.
3. Can't help on this one.

Fleabay is your friend. Glove box hinges also show up.

Also if you don't have one get a MidFifty catalog. Lots of stuff and info in the catalog.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:32 AM
BTclassics
Senior User
Thanks for the reply and suggestions!
I did search Ebay. Saw a bunch of vent window supports, but not the other channel. No glove box brackets either. I'll keep an eye out. They seem like pretty common parts so thought maybe the members here would have some alternate sources.

Most of my new parts have come from MidFifty thus far. It was their instructions that said to re-use the stock channels and how I discovered I'm also missing the window lifts.

Here is a preview of my truck from the one time I was able to take it out! (Before tearing it apart again...)

Old 03-03-2017, 11:12 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Very COOL! Definetly has that ole skool look

I decided to bite the bullet and become a member. Now I can select pictures from my computer and place them in my post with ease. Sure beats getting a URL address. Many of us had Photobucket accounts just so we could post pictures.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:09 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
I took the glass to a local glass shop. They said they couldn't cut it down because it is tempered glass. Further, they couldn't make up a new window because it is a curved window. The folks at MidFifty said 1 piece windows on '54 chop top is quite difficult.
Next step - I'm going to see if lexan might be an alternative.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:30 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I've going to be tackling the same situation in the near future. Our trucks appear to be chopped very close to the same amount. It will require some metal work. I intend to use glass in my truck. As I recall there was someone else on this site that has tackled installing 1 piece side glass in a chop top.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:04 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Nice truck, Drew!
They do look close. Are you going to straighten the door curve in order to use flat glass? If my truck wasn't already painted, I'd consider it. (Yes - It is painted with Hot Rod Flatz. The photo above isn't great at showing that off.) I bought the truck with the intent as a driver so I'm trying to make something work.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:07 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Will the glass you have fit in the opening you have? Seems to me "back in the day" guys would chop their tops and keep the glass they had, just had to make adjustments because the glass couldn't roll all the way up.
Is the original glass curved? Why is the curve needed? If not just get a glass cut the size you need.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:51 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Originals have a 2 piece side window system with vent window and flat side glass. The curved glass is needed for the 1 piece solid side window (unless you straighten the door curve by cutting and welding). Unlike the 1956, the '53-'55s have an angled A pillar and window frame.

Because the truck is chopped, if I put the current solid window in and rolled it up, there would be large gaps. (The top of the glass needs to be cut down, not the bottom.) To complicate matters even more, some of the internal hinge and inner door needs to be cut away for clearance. Solid side window kits for the 1956 look a lot more straightforward, even with a chop top, because the window frame is square.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:15 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Thanks for the info! I knew there was a reason I was a 56 guy

Old 03-03-2017, 10:31 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
Brian

making the channels isn't hard... 3/4" channel (doesn't matter thickness as long as the inside dimension is 3/4" )

I was missing one but had one for a pattern... fabbed up one in about an hour using 3/4 thin channel and rivet nuts

can't help you on cutting the glass... I had a hard enough time getting one piece glass to fit a full size door

john

Attached Images   
Old 03-03-2017, 10:58 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Having one for pattern is always helpful! It does look pretty simple, but I'm at a loss not knowing any of the dimensions. Ie. The distance from the brackets and the channel (channel offset); The distance between the 2 brackets; Overall length; etc.

When reinstalling your channels, did you switch the drivers and passenger side? It was suggested in the MidFifty instructions.

Thanks John.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:30 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BTclassics
Originals have a 2 piece side window system with vent window and flat side glass. The curved glass is needed for the 1 piece solid side window (unless you straighten the door curve by cutting and welding). Unlike the 1956, the '53-'55s have an angled A pillar and window frame.

Because the truck is chopped, if I put the current solid window in and rolled it up, there would be large gaps. (The top of the glass needs to be cut down, not the bottom.) To complicate matters even more, some of the internal hinge and inner door needs to be cut away for clearance. Solid side window kits for the 1956 look a lot more straightforward, even with a chop top, because the window frame is square.
I see that you already know what would be required to put in a 1 piece flat glass. Obviously if you don't want to damage existing paint, a flat glass can't be used. I'm not looking forward to cutting on mine. I've carved on the truck enough already.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:29 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Brian... I'll try to get some dimensions for you today and post them here... should have done that already...

john

Old 03-04-2017, 03:59 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
here you go, Brian

let me know if you need more

j

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 1954 F100 Solid Side Windows