1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1954 F100 Solid Side Windows

Old 03-05-2017, 12:08 AM
BTclassics
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
You rock!
I'll see where I can get some of that 3/4" channel stock.
This may be a stupid question, but which one is right and left?

Old 03-05-2017, 09:06 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
Midfifty carries the channels but making them yourself is another less-costly option. The front channel is the same 3/4 metal channel only it has a bend. The kits come welded at the bend but that is not necessary if you tack the channel in place. I like to weld the channel since it makes it so much more stable...the doors I have done are all in the "build" stage so messing up a finished paint job was not a concern. The lower mount of the hinge-side channel is just a tab that picks up one of the hinge bolts. Here is a photo I took of one of the installs that shows the access hole that needs to be cut (the PO should have already done that for you) and the lower end of the channel with the mounting tab.

Attached Images    
Old 03-05-2017, 09:18 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Unfortunately none of the cutting/ fitting has been done yet. And the new windows the PO purchased aren't going to work.

I saw that MidFifty has those vent window replacement channel guides available. Because of the chop top, mine would need to be shortened. Seemed like a pricey part if I needed to cut it up anyway! I am going to purchase the window extended lifts though. Still hoping lexan will curve enough to work.

Where did you guys buy the steel C channel stock? I looked in my local hardware stores and all they had was aluminum 3/4" wide.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:42 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
I have mine custom made at Direct Sheetmetal. You could contact them www.directsheetmetal.com and see if they will make what you need and send it to you.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:03 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Charlie,
May I ask how long is the channel in the picture from bottom to the point it turns? Also what is the distance from the bottom to the bracket?
Thanks!

Old 03-05-2017, 11:39 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BTclassics
Charlie,
May I ask how long is the channel in the picture from bottom to the point it turns? Also what is the distance from the bottom to the bracket?
Thanks!
Length of channel from bend to bottom is 22 inches. Mounting tab center is 10.5 inches from bottom. I might add...I always make a template of the window glass from a piece of press board or luan plywood so that I can use it to position the guide channels at the proper width. Additionally, since you have shorter window glass you will not need as much depth on your window guides as these stock channels. I suggest that you make a glass template and use it to find the depth of the glass in the guide channels when the window is lowered at the appropriate level...which should be just where the top of the glass is flush with the opening in the top edge of the door. Good luck.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:09 AM
BTclassics
Senior User
Thanks for the measurements.
I'll see what I can find for steel c channel. Otherwise I'll try to make them out of aluminum.

The MidFifty instructions recommend cutting two wooden sticks to 29 1/8" long to help keep a parallel opening. (Assume this is slightly wider than the window to take in account the felt that later gets installed.) Once I get the channels in place, I will make a window template to try.

I have a plan (in theory), but easier said than done! haha

Old 03-06-2017, 08:02 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
I have found that a piece of plywood about 8 inches wide/tall works much better than the "2 stick method". You are correct about the measurement, it does take into account the thickness of the window felts.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:59 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BTclassics
Thanks for the measurements.
I'll see what I can find for steel c channel. Otherwise I'll try to make them out of aluminum.
I had 8 24 inch lengths of C channel made up at Direct Sheetmetal today out of 18 ga steel. A bit heavier than what is provided in the kits but it is a lot sturdier.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:20 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
May I ask what they charged to bend the C channels?
I went to a couple of metal suppliers in my area and no one had anything pre-made in steel. They said they could make one out of sheet metal, but it would be significantly more than the $12 for 8' of aluminum C channel. (They couldn't give me an exact price.)

Old 03-07-2017, 07:30 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
I paid $5 for a 24 inch length...I bought 8 lengths so I am not sure if there was a quantity price. 18 ga is considerably heavier than the channels pictured in my post above.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:35 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Wow - I think the steel supplier was going to charge me more than that for the material!

Old 03-07-2017, 11:29 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
I have extra if you need some...shoot me a PM

Old 03-09-2017, 07:45 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Thanks for the offer. Today I had two channels bent for $25. I plan on doing some door cutting this weekend. We'll see how it goes!

Old 03-12-2017, 10:29 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
I did some cutting and fitting this weekend.
Is the new channel supposed to sit flush with the cut door hinge? Mine sits at an angle right now. (I haven't welded a bracket on yet until I'm sure both channels are even.)
Are the tabs in the original vent window area (along the A pillar) supposed to be cut out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1954 F100 Solid Side Windows