2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Grainy Image In Camera Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 07:21 PM
cecilt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grainy Image In Camera Mode

I hope this is an issue and not normal but the image in my camera when backing up is very grainy and almost hard to see what is even behind me when backing up especially at night. Compare to my 2009 it is horrible. I've tried all the camera views and at night they are just not clear. Would like to know if you have a very clear screen at night or if yours is grainy. I have found nothing to adjust the contrast or clarity. tks

Old 02-24-2017, 07:31 PM
klassic
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The camera stinks.
It's hard to believe this is what they put in.
I could count the hairs on my buddies legs when hooking up a trailer on my 2012.
I'm lucky to see the tongue with this camera.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:58 PM
wharrell
Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree my rear camera image on my 2015 and 2011 was conserablely better definition than the 2017 rear camera

Old 02-24-2017, 08:29 PM
cecilt
Elder User
What a joke. I can't believe how bad it is. I was actually hoping I had a bad camera or bad connection somewhere but this in incredible. Ford really went backwards on the camera. Cheap, cheap, cheap. I also can't stand that the screen can't show the full back up with lines rather than splitting it with the full overhead view. I know what's around me 99% of the time. I need the camera to back up and can use my side view mirrors. Why do I have to continually hit the camera button to give me a bigger back up screen and still keep the lines for direction. This is just such a pain in the A$$.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:01 PM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cecilt
What a joke. I can't believe how bad it is. I was actually hoping I had a bad camera or bad connection somewhere but this in incredible. Ford really went backwards on the camera. Cheap, cheap, cheap. I also can't stand that the screen can't show the full back up with lines rather than splitting it with the full overhead view. I know what's around me 99% of the time. I need the camera to back up and can use my side view mirrors. Why do I have to continually hit the camera button to give me a bigger back up screen and still keep the lines for direction. This is just such a pain in the A$$.
Whoever comes up with a plug and play replacement will have my money instantly. It is a terrible camera for 2017 standards. I think my first cell phone with a camera in 2005 was comparable to its quality.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:05 PM
AngelesCrest
Junior User
This is methodically planned out. They only give you a little bit at a time, rather than release the best at once. They come out with awesome technology and then decide to make some part of it crap so that in 2018 or 2019 when there is a lull in sales or lack of interest in the model you put some 4K camera on it and everyone trades in for the new thing. It's all clever marketing. Apple started this crap.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:21 PM
spook222
Senior User
Hopefully they'll match up with the 17s when they fix them in the next few years

Old 02-25-2017, 12:31 AM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AngelesCrest
This is methodically planned out. They only give you a little bit at a time, rather than release the best at once. They come out with awesome technology and then decide to make some part of it crap so that in 2018 or 2019 when there is a lull in sales or lack of interest in the model you put some 4K camera on it and everyone trades in for the new thing. It's all clever marketing. Apple started this crap.

No....not true in this case. As others have stated above....the camera WAS better in earlier models...my 2011 was dam clear at night in reverse. They just put in a crappier camera then was in the truck before. It's not marketing. Hell...my front camera got water in it at 1000 and went black. New one just came in. Hopefully this one is sealed a little better.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:35 AM
LPEH2
Freshman User
Originally Posted by AngelesCrest
FWIW, I laughed at your joke, Apple reference sealed it for me

Old 02-25-2017, 08:13 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
The cameras in the '17 are awful. I have ridden in a Toyota and Honda and both have cameras with way better resolution. With the 360 degree camera system it's hard to make out the galvanized fence post as I back out of the driveway and its just as hard to see the side of the garage wall.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:43 AM
REPO.
Senior User
My current Ram's camera is great. Super easy to see when hitching up, and easy to see 5+ feet behind you clearly.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:59 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the resolution on the cameras and can't help wonder if something is just wrong with your truck. I have a recording on the Weigh Safe hitch video where you can see the reverse camera in my truck. Have you looked at that for comparison?

Old 02-25-2017, 04:19 PM
Chris Crews
Elder User

If you have trouble seeing at night in the camera you can place two rigid led lights within the bumper and wire them into a switch. I did it for my gmc and love it. I use it every single time I back up in the dark

Old 02-25-2017, 04:28 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I'm pretty happy with the resolution on the cameras and can't help wonder if something is just wrong with your truck. I have a recording on the Weigh Safe hitch video where you can see the reverse camera in my truck. Have you looked at that for comparison?

Epic....I hope you are right....but WAY too many people on here complaining about terrible quality on the reverse camera(me being one). Very few complaints from me on this truck....but the grainy image is definetly one of them.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:33 PM
klassic
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Coming from a crystal clear 2012 to this dark, grainy low def image that everyone else has. I don't think there's something wrong.
It sure would be nice to find out there was a bad batch. My CHMSL cam is the same.

Quick Reply: Grainy Image In Camera Mode