1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1985 E350 460 C6 Carb issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 08:05 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by spikedog
I'm aware that Carter = Edelbrock (both made by Weber; Carter sold design to Edelbrock). You've just proved both my points. Why do I even bother to post sometimes?
So what was your point ? There's nothing hard nor complicated about a Holley. And once they're tuned they stay that way for YEARS. The three two's on my 331 are proof of that. If you have a Holley and think it's getting out of tune, you're mistaken in that diagnosis. 99% of the time, It won't be the carb causing the problem, but the ignition that's at fault. The only thing that will screw up a Holley is feeding it dirty fuel.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:03 AM
Brnfree
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Straight up cam timing, stock intake, EGR, 4180 Carb, duraspark ignition, manifold vacuum advance, 12* base advance, stock exhaust manifolds, opened up single exhaust. C6.

At 9,500 lbs I get about 9 mpg.

Towing 3,500 lbs about 8.5 mpg.

Headwinds kill mileage and drafting trucks Is better than fighting a 25 mph headwind. I don't like following closely so I stay well back and it still helps a lot.

Make it a point to get into the secondaries periodically to keep the gas in the secondary fuel bowl fresh. Otherwise the gas just sits in the bowl, goes bad, and gums up the secondaries.

I used to get about 10 before the ethanol gas came along.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:33 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by baddad457
So what was your point ? There's nothing hard nor complicated about a Holley. And once they're tuned they stay that way for YEARS. The three two's on my 331 are proof of that. If you have a Holley and think it's getting out of tune, you're mistaken in that diagnosis. 99% of the time, It won't be the carb causing the problem, but the ignition that's at fault. The only thing that will screw up a Holley is feeding it dirty fuel.
I totally agree. Holleys have been bulletproof for me.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:52 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Brnfree
Headwinds kill mileage and drafting trucks Is better than fighting a 25 mph headwind. I don't like following closely so I stay well back and it still helps a lot.

Make it a point to get into the secondaries periodically to keep the gas in the secondary fuel bowl fresh. Otherwise the gas just sits in the bowl, goes bad, and gums up the secondaries.

I used to get about 10 before the ethanol gas came along.
If you're gonna draft a truck (something which burns my *** when someone does it) stay back at least 2 truck lengths and stay alert to what that truck does. Otherwise you just might get a rude awakening to tailing someone. Totally agree with the secondary thing. One of the Holleys I bought secondhand had proof of this. The primary rock filter in the inlet was clogged with red mud. The secondary filter was squeaky clean that told me the previous owner never got into the secondaries, either by choice, or failed to tailor the spring to be able to use them. As for fuel mileage, something that will help is to stay away from the big stations that sell lots of gas. That gas doesn't sit in the ground long enough to cool off before it's sold. Some of those stations go through 1 or more truck loads a day. The smaller stations may go a week or longer selling a load of fuel, so it sits in the ground and gets cooled and therefore is denser when it's pumped back out. You will pay a bit more for fuel, but you're also getting more for those dollars. Those smaller stations may also have a lower ethanol content in their gas as some of them aren't required to sell E10 fuel.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:03 PM
shackmasterchris
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update. I removed and had a friends help to rebuild carb. Ol Bessy is running again. I'm guessing that the front float was stuck not allowing fuel into the carb. I've retimed it now just need to get it out to see if any change in mileage.

I just wanted to take the time and thank you all for the information and ideas, without it and watching a few youtubes I wouldn't have the guts to try and tackle this project.

Thank you

Old 05-02-2017, 11:56 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by baddad457
If you're gonna draft a truck (something which burns my *** when someone does it) stay back at least 2 truck lengths and stay alert to what that truck does. Otherwise you just might get a rude awakening to tailing someone. Totally agree with the secondary thing. One of the Holleys I bought secondhand had proof of this. The primary rock filter in the inlet was clogged with red mud. The secondary filter was squeaky clean that told me the previous owner never got into the secondaries, either by choice, or failed to tailor the spring to be able to use them. As for fuel mileage, something that will help is to stay away from the big stations that sell lots of gas. That gas doesn't sit in the ground long enough to cool off before it's sold. Some of those stations go through 1 or more truck loads a day. The smaller stations may go a week or longer selling a load of fuel, so it sits in the ground and gets cooled and therefore is denser when it's pumped back out. You will pay a bit more for fuel, but you're also getting more for those dollars. Those smaller stations may also have a lower ethanol content in their gas as some of them aren't required to sell E10 fuel.
While it makes sense I've yet to see the math of this.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...n-it/index.htm
Bottom line. Even with the temperature swings we saw in the first few gallons pumped at our facility, we didn’t see a big penalty for the consumer. A 15-degree difference, for example, would result in a one-percent gain in volume. Or, just a few cents difference on the first gallons pumped—not enough to change your schedule or routine in chasing costs, especially if it might increase your fuel consumption in the pursuit.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:35 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by vettex2
While it makes sense I've yet to see the math of this.

Save on gas with morning fill-ups? Don?t bet on it
That statement doesn't make sense to ring true. The temperature of the fuel in the underground tank will not change after a few gallons pumped. It will remain constant. I hauled fuel for years, there is a definite difference in the volume between hot fuel and colder fuel. Enough so that fuel is sold at the wholesale level based on the volume of that fuel at 60*F. I've loaded 7500 gallons of 90-something degree diesel fuel and the volume at 60* on the load ticket was 7000. That's a real difference. So much so there was a big lawsuit a few years ago over this between several large trucking companies and the fuel wholesalers. One large fuel stop (that will remain unknown) sold 7 truck loads a day, everyday. In late summer they paid for 35,000 gals at 60*F and sold that same fuel the same day out of the pumps but the customers were billed for 3500 gals more by the volume at 90-something degrees. Added up nationwide the difference is huge. Most of the year you wouldn't gain anything, but in summer you will by buying from a station that's a few pennies more situated near one of the big volume stations who sell a truckload or more daily vs that smaller station that sits on their fuel for a week at a time between refills. Here in Louisiana the only time the fuel reaches lower than 60*F out of the fuel racks is in January and February. That's the only times the retailers come out ahead of the "game" in buying fuel.