1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Exhaust work info needed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 06:17 PM
jviers6755
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust work info needed.

Hey everyone! I'm finally getting my exhaust manifolds fixed. I have a couple issues that I'd like a little bit of info or guidance on. The flange on the back of the headers, I was attempting to remove the bolt on it and it's so badly rusted the nut was eaten away and when I started turning it it rounded off completely and I wanted to know if there's any easy way to get that off. It's in a really tight area or I'd just cut it loose. My next and biggest question is catalytic converter related. Mine were at some point cut and gutted. I've been looking online for a complete system to use and replace them and the entire y pipe but can't find it. Does anyone know if I can find such a thing? I can find them for chevy trucks but not mine. Or would I be better off to finally get the old y off and have the ones on it cut and have new ones welded on and reinstall when I get the exhaust manifolds on?
1999 F250 7 Lug with the 5.4.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:51 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jviers6755
Hey everyone! I'm finally getting my exhaust manifolds fixed. I have a couple issues that I'd like a little bit of info or guidance on. The flange on the back of the headers, I was attempting to remove the bolt on it and it's so badly rusted the nut was eaten away and when I started turning it it rounded off completely and I wanted to know if there's any easy way to get that off. It's in a really tight area or I'd just cut it loose. My next and biggest question is catalytic converter related. Mine were at some point cut and gutted. I've been looking online for a complete system to use and replace them and the entire y pipe but can't find it. Does anyone know if I can find such a thing? I can find them for chevy trucks but not mine. Or would I be better off to finally get the old y off and have the ones on it cut and have new ones welded on and reinstall when I get the exhaust manifolds on?
1999 F250 7 Lug with the 5.4.
You might have some luck your local salvage yards getting the whole thing? It can get kinda dicy with buying used catalytic convertors out of a salvage yard, depending on you local laws.

I'm pretty sure I've seen OEM stuff on Ebay...then there Tasco or Fordparts.com or RockAuto.com but if you find OEM it will be pricy !!

Many go with after market which you can get with less hassle and money if your careful. Magnaflow sells some replacement items. If you're interested in OEM as possible and not having CEL then you need the Catalytic Convertors that have O2 sensor bung already in them.

if you have what looks like 4 catalytic convertors many get by with 2 with no issues unless you are in a rea that has those annual inspection then you might not.

Last edited by enriched&beyound; 02-06-2017 at 07:53 PM. Reason: better phrasing
Old 02-08-2017, 11:42 AM
jviers6755
Freshman User
Originally Posted by enriched&beyound
You might have some luck your local salvage yards getting the whole thing? It can get kinda dicy with buying used catalytic convertors out of a salvage yard, depending on you local laws.

I'm pretty sure I've seen OEM stuff on Ebay...then there Tasco or Fordparts.com or RockAuto.com but if you find OEM it will be pricy !!

Many go with after market which you can get with less hassle and money if your careful. Magnaflow sells some replacement items. If you're interested in OEM as possible and not having CEL then you need the Catalytic Convertors that have O2 sensor bung already in them.

if you have what looks like 4 catalytic convertors many get by with 2 with no issues unless you are in a rea that has those annual inspection then you might not.
I'm gonna do some looking at the local places, most around here usually cut them and scrap them though so I don't know if I'll have any luck. Mine were cut because they were supposedly clogged. I looked for an OEM replacement, but like you said that gets costly. I've looked at the magnaflow, but can't seem to find something that's a bolt on replacement like I wanted for my model. I believe if I can't find anything I'm gonna see if I buy the magnaflow thing if my local shop can alter it and get me set up. I am hoping I can find someone parting out a truck and see if I can get it from them.

Any suggestions on how to get the flange off my manifold?
Thanks for your input hopefully I can figure something out.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:58 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jviers6755

Any suggestions on how to get the flange off my manifold?
Thanks for your input hopefully I can figure something out.
Gonna presume space is at a premium where you're gotta be. You might try a dermal tool with a small cut off wheel. I've had pretty good success with it, (Not on that situation), but just have to be tender with it. You'll need
get several wheels. I Presume that the bolts are all rusted and deformed to where you can't take it apart?

If you think there is room for something larger then a 4-1/2 grinder with a cutoff wheel works well, or a sawsAll .

Old 02-10-2017, 09:49 PM
jviers6755
Freshman User
Originally Posted by enriched&beyound
Gonna presume space is at a premium where you're gotta be. .
That's an understatement on this one haha. It's the one on the inside towards everything and I could barely reach it with my long extension. I guess I'm either gonna bite the bullet and get me a small cut off tool of some sorts or maybe see if the neighborhood loan program could help me out.

As I was trying to get them off it turned a little and then squeaked as it was turning and when I tried to get a better position on it I could feel it slip and round off. One of the moments you know you just screwed up.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:10 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On an 3V 5.4 I had good luck heating the nuts with a small propane torch until red hot, One rounded off but was able to drive an 9/16th socket on to the 15mm nut and remove it without cutting. Six sided sockets are a must when working with exhaust!

Old 02-19-2017, 10:46 PM
jviers6755
Freshman User
Originally Posted by twigsV10
On an 3V 5.4 I had good luck heating the nuts with a small propane torch until red hot, One rounded off but was able to drive an 9/16th socket on to the 15mm nut and remove it without cutting. Six sided sockets are a must when working with exhaust!
Sounds like something to try anyways. I'll probably look for my replacements before I try it. I'll give it a few shots of penatrating fluid before and see if that will help as well.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:16 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
There is a huge fine for selling used Cat converters.
A federal law, not local.
Good luck.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:19 PM
jviers6755
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
There is a huge fine for selling used Cat converters.
A federal law, not local.
Good luck.
I had no idea about that. Guess I'll be looking for something new instead. Hadn't had the chance to call yet so thanks for saving me from looking like an idiot.