1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio/Center console upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 08:27 AM
willdl02
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio/Center console upgrade

I have a 2013 F350 Diesel. Love the truck. ordered it instead of buying from the lot. I made one HUGE mistake with the radio/console: I ordered the base radio. No satellite, no touch screen, etc. Can I purchase a factory radio that has the touch controls for AC/Heat, radio, etc and change out the base model? or will I need different wiring harness? Or do I just go with an after market option?

Old 02-05-2017, 10:16 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are a couple places that do factory upgrades...

https://www.4dtech.com/11-13-ford-f2...-retrofit-kit/

here is one.

It does not control the A/C though. I think you might be talking about MyFord Touch. It can likely be swapped.

Richard

EDT: honestly, I think it is possible to put in a full Sync3 system in the 11+ trucks based on the wiring and canbus systems. I just nee to get my hands on a 17 service DVD to confirm. The trick is in programming it.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Njstern87
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I have the MyFordTouch in a 2013 taurus, its ok but in my opinion there are better radios from the aftermarket crowd. You said you have the 2013 Superduty, if I remember correctly thats a double din opening and no cutting will be required. You could look to crutchfield for a nice double din android based unit with bluetooth and all the bells and whistles you want. For XM satellite you can either get a radio that is "sirius ready" than just pick you xm radio and plug it in. If you have any questions about install or what would work best. Allot of people here have upgraded radios including myself. Its easy and not a big undertaking. Feel free to ask any questions and Ill do my beat to answer them.

-Nick

Old 02-05-2017, 10:35 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Njstern87
I have the MyFordTouch in a 2013 taurus, its ok but in my opinion there are better radios from the aftermarket crowd. You said you have the 2013 Superduty, if I remember correctly thats a double din opening and no cutting will be required. You could look to crutchfield for a nice double din android based unit with bluetooth and all the bells and whistles you want. For XM satellite you can either get a radio that is "sirius ready" than just pick you xm radio and plug it in. If you have any questions about install or what would work best. Allot of people here have upgraded radios including myself. Its easy and not a big undertaking. Feel free to ask any questions and Ill do my beat to answer them.

-Nick
If you have the MyFord touch, you can upgrade to the better Sync3... there are kits out there.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Njstern87
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I have looked into them..figure the price will cone down in time.

In reference to the OP's question though I understand his truck to have a basic am/fm/cd player. Given the option between retrofitting in a Sync system into a truck with no Sync, or just installing an aftermarket touch screen, I recommend going to the aftermarket. Joying makes some nice units as does pioneer. I am sure there are many others that are just as nice and will be a much easier install for the OP.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:42 AM
firemanjeff
New User
i have a 2014 250 with a stock radio with My link I just want satelite

Old 02-26-2017, 04:55 PM
Preacher G
New User
Sirius/XM offers several "add on" receivers that can be connected a couple different ways. If you are currently a subscriber, they regularly advertise these at steep discounts ... with a new subscription.

I suggest going to the Sirius/XM web site, then call and see what you can negotiate for a price.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:24 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by willdl02
I have a 2013 F350 Diesel. Love the truck. ordered it instead of buying from the lot. I made one HUGE mistake with the radio/console: I ordered the base radio. No satellite, no touch screen, etc. Can I purchase a factory radio that has the touch controls for AC/Heat, radio, etc and change out the base model? or will I need different wiring harness? Or do I just go with an after market option?

You may want to keep an eye on Ebay, there are guys selling some of the Nav stereo systems from trucks that are being parted out, same thing with salvage yards. If a salvage yard is parting one out you may be able to grab one from there.

Only thing with that is most of the nav stereo systems are tied to a VIN so you would need to find someone to re-program it to your VIN, they do the tie to VIN thing due to theft so guys cant sell stolen ones easily.

Just a thought

Old 02-26-2017, 09:08 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
In my 05 i have a jvc deck that is pretty nice. It as around 270 dollars. Does blue tooth, satellite radio, dvd, iphone and android specific stuff. Does alot more and is alot more user friendly than the 2016 factory oem top of the line entertainment setup in my other truck. Which doesnt play dvds and is very limited in my opinion. I love the way it looks but if i had it all to do again id get a xlt with a console and put my own radio in the truck. My jvc deck in the 05 does not have navigation but from past experience with car radio navigation is you constantly need to update them. My phone though has this nifty program call google maps that costs me nothing and has more updated maps and better traffic warning/ avoidance. It also easier to reroute than the oem stuff or the garmin or tomtom devices ive owned. So if it were my money id do aftermarket head units