1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

E4OD Owners, need info

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 08:01 AM
F150Dad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD Owners, need info

Hello folks, let me appologize for the length of this post up front, but want to included as much info as possible. Had my son's e4od transmission rebuilt last year at this time. Shop owner said he had experience with this model transmission (something I questioned him about after reading threads here). My transmission is a confirmed e4od, not a 4r100. Truck is a May 98 build F-150 4X4 with both tow and offroad packages from the factory.

First issue was with a rattling torque converter (TC) / front pump (only pump actually), at 7 months. Trans shop said normal, I took it to two different shops, with one shop owned by 18+ year ford line tech. Both said torque converter or one of the bearings the pump rides on was/is going bad. Trans shop kept truck for almost a month, claimed they had trouble warranting the TC, but said it was replaced. Also claimed to check pump and bearing, no issues. I also requested that they verify they installed the shift kit they claimed. Truck would engage reverse very quickly, not harsh, but take about 3 to 4 seconds for drive to engage. Both scenarios where when coming from park to either R or D.

When truck was returned, Reverse was VERY lazy to engage from Park or Drive, as long as 5 seconds. From Park or Reverse to Drive was only about 1 to 2 seconds, normal in my eyes. I questioned the owner rather abruptly about this. He said all is good, no codes, two year unlimited mileage warranty would cover any issues.

Fast forward to late December. Son leaving work, stops to lock gate, shifts to drive and nothing. Shuts off truck, and checks under to see if any fluid is pouring out (that's what roasted out the first one, pump seal pushed out). Re-starts, goes into reverse no problem. Shifts back to drive and it will move, but requires a heavy accelerator. Drives home approx. 3 miles, and truck is barely moving. Reverse seems fine, but Drive feels like someone is standing on the brakes and gas at the same time. Truck hauled to trans shop next day (flat bed). Final diagnosis is bad ECU. According to shop owner, ECU (or PCM whatever it is called) is commanding MAX LINE PRESSURE when the truck is put in drive. Of course, driving it for the short distance from work to my home had caused the front hub (can't recall the proper name) to crack, and the clutches to all basically weld themselves together. Complete rebuild of trans, but no new TC. I raised nine kinds of heck about that, since it had no drain plug, and he did not have a machine to clean the internals of the TC other than many flushes with what he said was an approved cleaner. I offered to supply a new trans cooler, but somehow he forgot about that. He claims he flushed out the cooler and lines, how thoroughly is anyones guess.

Upon picking up the truck (Feb 1), he said that the truck had obviously been "mudding" and had larger tires installed, and that his warranty did not cover abuse. I explained that the truck had the EXACT same tire size (33" on a 17" rim, came from factory with 17" rims) as when I brought it in to be rebuilt the first time, and explained that the truck was used for hunting and light trailer towing (less than 5,000lbs, 3 to 4 four wheelers) at that time also. I requested that he build the transmission to account for the configuration the truck was currently in, and how it was to be used. I hid nothing from him, as I was willing to pay a little extra to get a trans built that would last till my son is out of college. The truck has what I would call very aggressive shifts in all forward gears, with a normal delay when going to Reverse from either park or drive.

To sum up, is a bad ECU, PCM something that is common on a truck that has not seen a harsh life? Thanks.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Shadow351
Senior User
I assuming the fluid level was good when the trans was slipping. Did he say the line pressure was ok? If the trans is slipping, it sounds like the line pressure was low, so the PCM trying to send max line pressure sounds like an appropriate response, the PCM was probably detecting low line pressure, and was trying to increase it until it reached max line pressure.

I've heard of a few bad PCM's, but not to the point I'd consider it a "common" problem. We (my family) have owned 4 tenth gen F150/Expedition's with a combined total of just under a million miles between them and never once had a PCM issue. (the GEM is a different story but has no control over the Trans) The PCM is not in the best location so physical damage may be possible but I've never encountered it.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:59 PM
F150Dad
Senior User
Thanks for the reply Shadow351. Yes, fluid level was good when it acted up. That's the first thing I/we/he checked.

Shop did not find the max line pressure issue until AFTER it was brought in in late December. It was discovered upon rebuild and re-install, and the shop said that was the reason for the drum cracking and clutches welding up.

I have another whole year and unlimited miles left on my warranty. I did not pay a nickle for this repair, even though I offered to source the PCM if that was the problem (took them two weeks to verify).

Something I forgot to mention in my original post, the shop said to bring it back in 1,500 to 2,000 miles for a trans fluid change. I asked what type of fluid they used, and was told a Ford "approved" fluid. I may bring them five gallons of Mercon V, but will need to stand there to assure they put it in my truck. Thanks again.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:17 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
This is just an evaluation of you experiences as given.
First, there is no mention of proof of anything via codes for a PCM fault or a trans electrical fault.
They are all electrical type monitors.
The PCM cannot tell anything about a mechanical failure in the transmission.
Next, you need a better more honest shop.
There is nothing else we can offer here to be of any help.
Don't know where you are at but one of the very best shops is Level 10, Hamburg, NJ.
Not cheap but the best, from personal experience.
Also the 4-r-100 is an updated e4od. Both very tough transmissions.
Good luck.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:08 PM
F150Dad
Senior User
Thanks for the reply Bluegrass, I truly value your opinion on all things 5.4L and Ford in general (along with a select few other posters on this board).

Yes, I feel like I have fallen prey to a "less than forthcoming" transmission mechanic. My fault for trying to stay local and help out a younger man trying to build a business. I still have one year left on the no cost repairs. So far so good this time, my son took it on a 1,000 mile round trip this past weekend with no hiccups. We shall see....... Will be watching closely for trans codes.

Thanks again.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:41 PM
F150Dad
Senior User
Just wanted to put some closure on my E4OD issues.

After latest rebuild from original shop (OP in this thread), truck started to shift very erratically less than a month after picking it up. Also O/D light flashing, and very hard shifts (1 to 2) at times. Did not trust original shop (OS), so took truck to a recommended shop from a life long F150 driver (old friend I ran into).

New Shop offered to remove and tear down trans in front of OS personnel. OS declined invite (from me), and said if ANYONE broke it open other than them, warranty null and void. No problem, will take pictures and video if needed for coming court case. What New trans shop found (I was present for inspection)
1. Torque converter was NOT the model referenced in my original invoice (pictures of this).
2. Valve body was FULL of clutch material, filter was extremely dirty. Shop owner said it looked like a filter with 100,000+ miles on it, not one rebuilt less than a month ago......unless they were reusing filters .
3. NO evidence of shift kit installed. Holes in plate that are to be drilled to larger size were not (used drill bits and instructions to verify).
4. Main wire harness connection on side of transmission was cracked.

Internal inspection, owner said steels/clutches appeared to be mismatched salvaged pieces. Only a couple had visible markings (in defense, new shop owner not all clutches have identifiable markings, but wear was uneven between all of them).

So basically, I was stiffed by someone who was/is more interested in money than starting a new business and working to make it successful. New shop did rebuild with only a six month, 6,000 mile warranty, for a very fair price to allow me to sell the truck with a clear conscience to a new owner.

Truck shifts like a dream , holds second and third gear out a little further in the RPM's, and Overdrive comes in at around 46 to 48 mph. Hammer on it in a passing situation or entering a freeway and shifts are positive and solid, LIKE THEY SHOULD BE .

Moral of the story, E4OD's are great trannys, just be sure your rebuilder/trans shop understands them. Hope this helps someone avoid my situation.

P.S. Legal proceedings are moving forward against original shop with refund of new shop rebuild cost as my disposition.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:38 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by F150Dad
holds second and third gear out a little further in the RPM's,
You'd have to change the PCM for that to happen. The decision on when to shift is 100% in the PCM, not the transmission. Changing the transmission cannot change when it shifts.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:24 PM
F150Dad
Senior User
Thanks for setting me straight on that Mark, I didn't realize that. Original Shop "claimed" they changed the PCM, but I can't see where anything looks disturbed in the areas needed to access it. Also they did not list it on their invoice.

What ever the New Shop did rebuilding it, made a world of difference in how the truck drives. Not sure if I or my son will get the 4-wheeler trailer behind it before we sell it, but the manners it displays in everyday driving make me believe it would be a night and day difference.

Thanks again Mark for chiming in, appreciate the information.