2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Headlights and oncoming traffic

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:49 AM
Demo-man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights and oncoming traffic

So I am now getting half a dozen on coming Hi-beam flashes per morning when I drive to work. I have a feeling this is going to escalate into a road rage incident at some point in time.

As anybody brought this to Ford's attention? Curious on the response. I assume there some type of NTSB guidelines for lumens. how about the Ford Reps to troll this board? Any comments?

Old 01-09-2017, 07:58 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Demo-man
So I am now getting half a dozen on coming Hi-beam flashes per morning when I drive to work. I have a feeling this is going to escalate into a road rage incident at some point in time.

As anybody brought this to Ford's attention? Curious on the response. I assume there some type of NTSB guidelines for lumens. how about the Ford Reps to troll this board? Any comments?
Lots of comments about this on this board. The LED's seem to be getting more flashes, but even the halogens are as well.

You can attempt to aim the lights down. My LED lights seem to be aimed just perfectly. If someone flashes me, I give them a quick high beam so they know I'm not a jerk.

That said, if you do get in a road rage incident, at least you're in a Super Duty, lol.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Demo-man.....I started a post on this a few weeks back. Just search and you can find it. My concern was exactly what you are describing. These STOCK trucks are blinding to the oncoming drivers. I have no level..no lift. I personally...think the LEDs need to be toned down a bit..and we could still have clean, bright light on these awesome trucks. One other thing I mentioned was....It's not just the oncoming traffic that is affected. When you pull up to someone at a light, hands are going up and blocking my lights because it is BLINDING in the rear view mirrors of the vehicles in front of me. I never saw this with my 2011...ever...unless I accidently left the brights on. Of course....in my other post, some forum members were saying...blah blah...I never get flashed...blah blah....don't pull up so close behind someone at a light...stop whining about it.... etc. Trust me...I LOVE these lights as a driver...but I guarantee...like you stated....someone is going to get out of their car and come back pissed off that our lights are so dang bright. It's gonna happen...just give it time.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:09 AM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by troverman
Lots of comments about this on this board. The LED's seem to be getting more flashes, but even the halogens are as well.

You can attempt to aim the lights down. My LED lights seem to be aimed just perfectly. If someone flashes me, I give them a quick high beam so they know I'm not a jerk.

That said, if you do get in a road rage incident, at least you're in a Super Duty, lol.

Troverman...if your lights seem to be aimed "just perfectly"..then you wouldn't be getting flashed now would you.....LOL. We know you are not a jerk....but you can't explain that in two passing cars.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:16 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Kenv
Troverman...if your lights seem to be aimed "just perfectly"..then you wouldn't be getting flashed now would you.....LOL. We know you are not a jerk....but you can't explain that in two passing cars.
1. I have a dually...it might sit slightly lower because the tires are 31.5" tall instead of the usual 33 or 34" that the 18's and 20's are on the SRW trucks. Not sure if the factory adjusts to compensate.

2. I have been flashed, but when I pull up right behind let's say a Camry, at a traffic light, my beams are sitting squarely on his trunk lid. No light coming inside and reflecting in the mirror. However, its not uncommon to be blinded by traffic behind you...that is why all automotive mirrors either have a manual "Day/Night" position or are auto-dimming.

My hypothesis is that some people are bothered by the sheer brightness of the elements rather than the level of the light. Some folks might mistake us for those idiots who install aftermarket xenon or LED bulbs into a halogen headlight housing which produces uncontrolled glare. Those people should be shot, lol. Or better yet, be forced to look at their own headlights for hours on end while they try to drive in a rainstorm.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:21 AM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Yeah...your truck might be a bit lower in the front. I'm going to try moving my lights down just a bit and see if it makes a difference. I can't make one night drive without getting flashed. What's weird is....not everyone flashes me, so maybe they just know it's the new technology coming at them. I've wanted to flash a few Chevy's but I see they have their lower running lights on so I know it's not their brights. I have been shutting my lights down to the parking lights if I'm sitting at a light and see I'm blinding the drivers in front. Also staying a little further back.....but I shouldn't have to do either.....

Old 01-09-2017, 09:44 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Yeah...your truck might be a bit lower in the front. I'm going to try moving my lights down just a bit and see if it makes a difference. I can't make one night drive without getting flashed. What's weird is....not everyone flashes me, so maybe they just know it's the new technology coming at them. I've wanted to flash a few Chevy's but I see they have their lower running lights on so I know it's not their brights. I have been shutting my lights down to the parking lights if I'm sitting at a light and see I'm blinding the drivers in front. Also staying a little further back.....but I shouldn't have to do either.....
That's the key...if you see the fog / driving lights of another vehicle are on, then they are not running high beams. Lots of people do not understand this. I realize there are some jurisdictions where it is illegal to run fog or driving lamps when there is not fog or bad weather, but around here everyone just runs them all the time for the extra light (myself included).

I am rarely getting flashed. Just once in a while. Never happened on my previous Super Duty trucks, but that is probably due to them having among the worst lights on the road.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Ryan Kovacs
Senior User
My halogen headlights get me brighter by about 1 in every 8 cars. Mostly smaller cars that I can tell. I just wonder what they think when I pull back the lever and give them a quick bast of the real brights! I had one guy seemingly drift over toward me while holding his brights to show his displeasure. I just blasted my brights and held my course... he quickly moved back into his lane

Old 01-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
I wonder if people automatically assume your brights are lit simply because there are 4 lit primary elements with the new design.....where in almost every other vehicle, that would indicate high beams are on.

Maybe they are not necessarily giving you a complaint of being dazzled by the light...but are trying to communicate that they think your high beams are lit.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Kenv
Posting Guru
LOL....yeah Ryan...that's the ticket....but I'm doing it so much now it's getting old.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:00 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Especially If doing any changes to how the truck sits re aiming is a must. I have yet to be flashed. Often you can see me from far away go down from high to low with the driving lights on. That tells them you are on low beam. A simple flash will explain back pretty quick, you are on low. Mine are aimed very well, running empty but I am thinking when I load or have a trailer if back is down proportionally more than front, or I do a front leveling, this will make a significant difference to the cutoff. I would suggest marks on you wall and then adjusting down accordingly. You also need to mark the center of the main light on each side and be sure you are not point towards on coming traffic.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Patrick Fancy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
My hypothesis is that some people are bothered by the sheer brightness of the elements rather than the level of the light. Some folks might mistake us for those idiots who install aftermarket xenon or LED bulbs into a halogen headlight housing which produces uncontrolled glare. Those people should be shot, lol. Or better yet, be forced to look at their own headlights for hours on end while they try to drive in a rainstorm.
I completely agree with this. I have driven by several led 17 super duties, and not once did I feel blinded. But, I certainly noticed an increased level of light versus most cars, as well as a more concentrated brightness around the bulbs. I don't at all view the leds as a safety hazard, though.
​​
​​​​​​
​​

Old 01-09-2017, 12:16 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Demo-man.....I started a post on this a few weeks back. Just search and you can find it. My concern was exactly what you are describing. These STOCK trucks are blinding to the oncoming drivers. I have no level..no lift. I personally...think the LEDs need to be toned down a bit..and we could still have clean, bright light on these awesome trucks. One other thing I mentioned was....It's not just the oncoming traffic that is affected. When you pull up to someone at a light, hands are going up and blocking my lights because it is BLINDING in the rear view mirrors of the vehicles in front of me. I never saw this with my 2011...ever...unless I accidently left the brights on. Of course....in my other post, some forum members were saying...blah blah...I never get flashed...blah blah....don't pull up so close behind someone at a light...stop whining about it.... etc. Trust me...I LOVE these lights as a driver...but I guarantee...like you stated....someone is going to get out of their car and come back pissed off that our lights are so dang bright. It's gonna happen...just give it time.
It's true that I've never been flashed at night yet and I have a 1.5 inch level. Must be a regional thing. Maybe people in your area are just more pissed off? lol. I do use the auto high beams and if the oncoming traffic sees the high beams switch off they don't bother flashing? I don't see an explanation for why some folks are getting flashed a lot and others not at all.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:24 PM
Ryan Kovacs
Senior User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
It's true that I've never been flashed at night yet and I have a 1.5 inch level. Must be a regional thing. Maybe people in your area are just more pissed off? lol. I do use the auto high beams and if the oncoming traffic sees the high beams switch off they don't bother flashing? I don't see an explanation for why some folks are getting flashed a lot and others not at all.
its almost become a funny game for me every time I drive in the dark. I just wait and count all the people who bright me 😂

Old 01-09-2017, 12:25 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I think it is at least partly regional. I get flashed all the time, but I live in a prius loving, truck disliking, liberal area.

Quick Reply: Headlights and oncoming traffic