2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Adaptive Cruise Error - "Blocked"

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 11:04 AM
twack
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adaptive Cruise Error - "Blocked"

Recently, on 3-4 different trips, the Adaptive Cruise Control has kicked off and displayed a "Sensor Blocked" error message on the cluster. In each case, it's been while driving on a clear day at highway speed 55-65 mph. I checked, and the radar cover (black plastic box) is perfectly clean. I am unable to use the cruise control until I stop, turn off the ignition and restart.

It is intermittent and random, so I hate the thought of taking it to the dealer with an "only happens sometimes" kind of issue.

Anyone have any tips, tricks, or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-05-2017, 01:14 PM
rocket_scientist
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twack
Recently, on 3-4 different trips, the Adaptive Cruise Control has kicked off and displayed a "Sensor Blocked" error message on the cluster. In each case, it's been while driving on a clear day at highway speed 55-65 mph. I checked, and the radar cover (black plastic box) is perfectly clean. I am unable to use the cruise control until I stop, turn off the ignition and restart.

It is intermittent and random, so I hate the thought of taking it to the dealer with an "only happens sometimes" kind of issue.

Anyone have any tips, tricks, or suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Is the box loose at all? If you wiggle it is there play?

Did you change your front bumper?

Old 01-05-2017, 01:21 PM
twack
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rocket_scientist
Is the box loose at all? If you wiggle it is there play?

Did you change your front bumper?
No, and
No

Old 01-05-2017, 01:29 PM
RamblinOn
New User
Well, it won't get better by itself. Agree, who wants to give up their ride for this? Just start a list, and when convenient, take it in.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:20 PM
ssoundwave
Senior User
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine was doing that before it fried, ether there's water in the plug or it's on it's way out, if I were you I would take off the plastic cover unplug the back of the unit and see if there's any water in it, if there is use an air chuck to dry it out, if not then take it in, at least this way they can order you the part before it go's and you don't have to wait without cruise control for it to get in, took about 2 weeks for my part! And if that ends up going you lose regular cruise control as well as adaptive cruise control and preclusion support, The error message ends of overriding all cruise control, trust me i tried lol

Old 01-06-2017, 06:51 AM
gobig
Junior User
when it works, how do you like it?

Old 01-06-2017, 07:50 AM
twack
Freshman User
Originally Posted by gobig
when it works, how do you like it?
Adaptive Cruise Control was the main reason I waited for the 2017 SD. We bought a Subaru for the Wife's daily driver in 2015 and it had adaptive cruise control. After driving to the San Francisco area a couple of times in 1-2 hours of heavy traffic, I said I will never own another vehicle without it.

I was really bummed to find that Ford did not install "Stop and Go" adaptive cruise in the Super Duty. This was not clear to me before I bought the truck. The Stop and Go is just that. If traffic in front of you comes to a complete stop and then moves within a couple of seconds, the adaptive cruise will remain engaged and follow the preceding vehicle. In the Super Duty, once your speed falls below 20 mph, the adaptive cruise fully disengages with an audio warning. I dang near rearended someone on my drive home from the dealer as I assumed the adaptive cruise in the truck was like our Subaru. Close one!

I have a 40+ ft 5th wheel and the adaptive cruise really shines on long hauls. Especially in the mountains or heavier traffic. It takes a lot of stress off your foot, leg and calf because you're not lifting and covering the brake just incase. It does take a while to learn how responsive it is and gaining trust in it's ability. Right now, I do not trust it due to the intermittent failures.

In summary, Adaptive Cruise Control is an awesome system. I highly recommend it. If Ford could perform an OTA update to include "Stop and Go", it would be awesomer.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:58 AM
gobig
Junior User
Originally Posted by twack
Adaptive Cruise Control was the main reason I waited for the 2017 SD. We bought a Subaru for the Wife's daily driver in 2015 and it had adaptive cruise control. After driving to the San Francisco area a couple of times in 1-2 hours of heavy traffic, I said I will never own another vehicle without it.

I was really bummed to find that Ford did not install "Stop and Go" adaptive cruise in the Super Duty. This was not clear to me before I bought the truck. The Stop and Go is just that. If traffic in front of you comes to a complete stop and then moves within a couple of seconds, the adaptive cruise will remain engaged and follow the preceding vehicle. In the Super Duty, once your speed falls below 20 mph, the adaptive cruise fully disengages with an audio warning. I dang near rearended someone on my drive home from the dealer as I assumed the adaptive cruise in the truck was like our Subaru. Close one!

I have a 40+ ft 5th wheel and the adaptive cruise really shines on long hauls. Especially in the mountains or heavier traffic. It takes a lot of stress of your foot, leg and calf because you're not lifting and covering the brake just incase. It does take a while to learn how responsive it is and gaining trust in it's ability. Right now, I do not trust it due to the intermittent failures.

In summary, Adaptive Cruise Control is an awesome system. I highly recommend it. If Ford could perform an OTA update to include "Stop and Go", it would be awesomer.
WOW! thanks for the info!!!

Old 01-08-2017, 12:52 AM
puddintank
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like the 2018 F150 is getting stop-and-go, so it should make it's way to the Super Duty as well.

The 2018 Ford F-150 gets updated looks and engines, plus that diesel you wanted - Autoblog

Ford is also updating the F-150's techie features for 2018. The available adaptive cruise control is upgraded to stop-and-go status, meaning it can bring the truck to a complete stop and pick up where it left off again in heavy traffic instead of shutting off cruise when it slows down

Old 01-08-2017, 07:35 AM
twack
Freshman User
Originally Posted by puddintank
Looks like the 2018 F150 is getting stop-and-go, so it should make it's way to the Super Duty as well.

The 2018 Ford F-150 gets updated looks and engines, plus that diesel you wanted - Autoblog
It would be nice if the Ford Geeks did firmware updates like Elon does on his Teslas. Ahhhh, to wake up in the morning and have a "Stop and Go" update downloaded and ready to go. I don't think there is any additional hardware needed. Does anyone know?

LOOK HERE FORD <<<< I'd pay $$'s for it. >>>> LOOK HERE FORD <<<<