2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Quick Strut Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 04:49 PM
jbhford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Strut Ride Height

We had our front struts replaced several months back with KYB Quick Struts, a brand we've had good luck with. Same price as just the strut itself, so it was a "no brainer" for us and our tech. Well, the thing came out of the shop about three inches nose high and the tech was told that was the right unit and stock ride height. It is still sitting like it's had a 2" leveling kit installed. It has that AMC Eagle stance to it; no rake/leveled out, space in the wheel wells, air dam's awkwardly too high off the ground, headlights misaligned, rear air suspension constantly compensating for it, front end noses high upon acceleration. It's basically lost that low and mean curb appeal we dig about the Expedition. The ride quality is nice and planted, but it's like the springs have little downward compression to handle dips in the road and the range of motion is predominantly upward, especially on speed bumps.

Anyway, has anyone experienced this with similar "quick strut" assemblies? Would slipping an OEM spring in place bring it back down? Or is this a matter of the replacement part industry as a whole not caring one bit about parts for a ten year old vehicle and more or less having a "if it fits, it works" philosophy nowadays? With some of the replacement parts I've had lately, I'm wondering if it's the latter.

Thanks guys!

Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2017, 11:58 AM
gwcloud
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
jbhford,

Your Expedition looks like the ride height higher than stock to me too. Because your ride height has changed your front wheel alignment may have changed.

I think the ride height difference is caused by a different spring rating on the new springs. I would put my old springs back on - but that's me.
Sometimes shocks can raise the height a little. In that case you would waste time or money changing the springs back.

I do not trust the springs that come with these type of kits. The shock companies may not be thorough enough in choosing the correct springs. So, I reuse my old springs on new shocks.

Too bad things didn't turn out right.
Richard

Old 01-03-2017, 08:07 PM
USMCBuckWild
New User
I went with the Bilstein stock replacements on my 2012 EL Limited. Ride is phenomenal, height is correct.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:58 PM
jbhford
Senior User
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild
I went with the Bilstein stock replacements on my 2012 EL Limited. Ride is phenomenal, height is correct.
Were these a "quick strut" with the strut/spring or just the strut itself?

Old 01-03-2017, 09:08 PM
USMCBuckWild
New User
Just the strut itself. Took me 2 hours to swap both sides with a simple spring compressor borrowed from Advanced Auto. Its literally only the 1 more nut to remove once the entire assembley is out. Both struts were $150ish through Amazon

Old 01-03-2017, 09:38 PM
gwcloud
Tuned
I too installed Bilstein shocks front and rear on my Navigator.
I installed them myself but had a shop put my OEM springs on the new shocks.

Same ride height as before. I like them very much.

Richard

Old 01-13-2017, 10:20 AM
subzero32
New User
Originally Posted by gwcloud
I too installed Bilstein shocks front and rear on my Navigator.
I installed them myself but had a shop put my OEM springs on the new shocks.

Same ride height as before. I like them very much.

Richard
Any thoughts on the ride quality vs the OEM Motorcraft shocks? I am due soon for new shocks and considered Bilstein

Old 01-14-2017, 10:51 AM
gwcloud
Tuned
subzero32,

It's hard for me to compare because I can't switch them back and forth. But I can say the ride is a little firmer but not harsh. I can only compare the new Bilsteins to the old 60,000 mile OEM shocks.

I noticed a few things: 1. Driving through mountain curvy roads is much better - more secure feeling. 2. Driving slow over little bumps like pavement changes (entering a driveway) can be felt a little more. 3. My wife did not notice any difference.

Overall the ride quality is still compliant and Lincoln Navigator like. At freeway speeds when on smooth asphalt the Navigator feels quiet and like riding on a cloud.
The Bilsteins will last lots longer than the OEM shocks.

Richard

Old 01-14-2017, 07:37 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
I think the OEMs are made by Bilstein.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:16 PM
USMCBuckWild
New User
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
I think the OEMs are made by Bilstein.
OEM are made by Monroe, per research from the Ford Expedition site.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:45 AM
subzero32
New User
Originally Posted by gwcloud
subzero32,

It's hard for me to compare because I can't switch them back and forth. But I can say the ride is a little firmer but not harsh. I can only compare the new Bilsteins to the old 60,000 mile OEM shocks.

I noticed a few things: 1. Driving through mountain curvy roads is much better - more secure feeling. 2. Driving slow over little bumps like pavement changes (entering a driveway) can be felt a little more. 3. My wife did not notice any difference.

Overall the ride quality is still compliant and Lincoln Navigator like. At freeway speeds when on smooth asphalt the Navigator feels quiet and like riding on a cloud.
The Bilsteins will last lots longer than the OEM shocks.

Richard
Thanks for the great feedback, this is exactly what I needed to hear. I have been somewhat of a stickler using only Motorcraft parts on our Navigator but with shocks I really wondered how some Bilsteins would do. I ran some Bilsteins on an old BMW I used to have and really liked them, very similar to how you described them. My goal is to maintain that fantastic Navigator ride and it sounds like you have. I forgot to ask if you put new springs on or re used the old ones. I will most likely replace the springs having 106,000 miles. Do you happen to know the part # of the Bilsteins you used so I can duplicate your setup? Thanks again.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:12 PM
gwcloud
Tuned
I hope you like the Bilsteins as I do.

Front: 24-197717
Rear: 24-197724

I bought them on line for $78.00 each. I reused my old springs because the old springs were perfectly fine. Besides I do not have confidence that companies that sell shocks with new springs will use the correct spring rates.

I put Bilsteins on a '96 Ford E150 and liked them very well. To me, a high center of gravity and heavy vehicle should have firm shocks.

The Bilsteins are a single tube shock and run cooler than a twin tube shock. Thus the fluid performs better. (OEM shocks are twin tube).

Richard

Old 04-08-2017, 07:59 AM
jmidway22
New User
So I have this same problem with the Rancho Quick Lifts on a 07 Expedition and so far no fix. I worked with Ranchos tech support a few times and no luck. They were vague about if that was intended ride height. I am about to start up harassing them again to figure out the problem.

I started off with just the Ranchos all around due to sloppy struts. But started noticing clunking sounds in the front end at times and not sure if it was before or after the sturts/spings. So then I replaced the upper/lower control arm with moog and sway bar bushings/linkage (multiple times). Still had issues. I have been debating if the odd geometry with these ranchos introduced the problems and is wearing out my other bushings.

Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2019, 08:02 AM
Gumbel
New User
Ride height changed with new Moog struts

One of the rear factory struts was leaking on our 2011 Expedition XLT+ 4WD at 157,000. I decided to go with Moog complete strut assemblies with the springs and do all four. The Expedition is now sitting at least 2-3 inches higher. That was unexpected. It's probably about the same height as our 2000 Expedition (307,000). I preferred the lower ride in the 2011, but didn't research the issue of higher ride height with new strut assemblies until AFTER the Moogs were installed and I noticed it. We will get used to it.