iRV34 w/HDMI entertainment system

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 07:37 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
iRV34 w/HDMI entertainment system

Anyone seen, running, used this RV entertainment system?

I am looking for something with HDMI of some sort that is 12v. Let's be honest, when chilling out in the trailer and wanting to sit and watch a movie and the only connection between your TV and the DVD player is an RCA cable, well that just stinks.

I am thinking of bringing along a small Blue-Ray player and then running that into the input of the iRV34 in order to get surround sound and HDMI signal to the TV.

Thoughts, ideas, experiences?

iRV iRV34 Multimedia receiver for RVs at Crutchfield.com

EDIT: Well crap... just read this on the Crutchfield site...

HDMI Inputs: The iRV34 features a front and rear panel HDMI 1.3 input for connecting an external AV component, such as a Blu-ray player or game system. The unit's HDMI input audio/video signal is passed through the iRV34's HDMI output and to a connected external video monitor and speakers (sold separately). HDMI audio/video is not played back on the iRV34, itself.

It seems there may be some technical restrictions when it comes to having Blue-Ray/HD video when dealing with a 12v system.

EDIT 2: This seems to contradict the statement above...

HDMI/ARC Output: The iRV34's HDMI 1.3 output allows you to playback audio/video from the unit's built-in disc player, USB port, SD-card slot, or the front/rear panel HDMI inputs on an external monitor/speaker system (sold separately). The HDMI output also supports ARC (Audio Return Channel); this way audio from your connected TV can be played back through the iRV34.

EDIT 3: Perhaps instead of asking half *** questions I will simply state what my end goal here is.

- I want to have 3 zones for speakers.
- I want to have blue-tooth playback.
- I want to have blue-ray/HD video to the TV.
- I want to have a 12v radio.
- I want to have a 12v subwoofer (Rockville RW10CA).
- I want want my cake and eat it too.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:56 PM
ZooDad
Received 591 Likes on 344 Posts
My fathers rig has the IRV33. It has a DVD player built in, plus Hemingway in/out. We ended up putting in a Vizio 4 piece sound bar system and an hdmi switcher . One side connected to the 33, the other to a small media player either an external hard drive. He uses that most of the time.

He doesn't use the zones.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:59 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Why fuss around with a limited number of home theater choices when you can install an inverter to change the 12V to 120V (Power Inverter, Pure Sine Wave Inverter, Marine Inverter, PROsine). A set of deep cycle golf cart batteries and off you go. We had a very small inverter in the last 5er and only used it a couple times. One is on the 'list' (bottom, unfortunately) for this one but really haven't seen much need since our camping so far with this 5er has been in fully serviced CGs.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:56 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Dave, I had thought of that although finding a receiver with 3 zones is very expensive. We plan to have a whole trailer inverter, but I would still like the functionality of changing between speaker zones. I could wire the speakers into 2 zones consisting of indoor and outdoor to the 120v receiver, but that is not the optimal method.

Still researching and trying to figure it out. I will get there, just might take some time.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:27 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Sous
Dave, I had thought of that although finding a receiver with 3 zones is very expensive. We plan to have a whole trailer inverter, but I would still like the functionality of changing between speaker zones. I could wire the speakers into 2 zones consisting of indoor and outdoor to the 120v receiver, but that is not the optimal method.

Still researching and trying to figure it out. I will get there, just might take some time.

OK - then why not look at a multi function/level rotary switch. There are only a couple outfits that make a 3 zone RV type stereos that I'm aware of, Jensen being one of them with their less then great quality systems (we have the AWM968 and it's crap!!). With a multi function switch, you can literally have as many zones as you want as long as you have the switch wired in place. Doing it this way allows you virtually dozens of decent stereo systems. You have to research what would work best for your needs but here is one page of them that I 'grabbed'. Scroll down on the page and there are many more:

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a13123...3129331&sr=1-8

Old 12-30-2016, 03:07 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
This is why I keep coming back here... Things like this switch might actually work and until now, I did not know such a thing existed.

I guess I would have the RV 12v system for boondocking music/entertainment and then the home audio system with blue-ray and what not for when at campgrounds on hook-ups.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:36 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Sous
This is why I keep coming back here... Things like this switch might actually work and until now, I did not know such a thing existed.

I guess I would have the RV 12v system for boondocking music/entertainment and then the home audio system with blue-ray and what not for when at campgrounds on hook-ups.
I'm considering junking our 'system' and going with something else. As I said, our Jensen is a piece of crap. Nothing like a stereo coming on with no input by one of us at O dark thirty to make camping more fun. Then the sound quality.... There is also the tiny dedicated Jensen only remote with pinhead size buttons that are not at all intuitive. That multi function switch would give me what I need to choose whatever speakers I want and with a stereo system that works better. That disk brake system and new spring installation needs to done first before any other mods though.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:59 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I put a switch inline with the power wire for ours so we can shut it completely off when boondocking or traveling. I know the power draw from the display is minimal, but since we don't have solar yet every bit of energy helps.

I agree about the remote being crap, nothing more to add.

In an effort to keep things simple, I decided on the switch below instead of the rotary switch. I not only think the switch below will serve the purpose of having multiple zones, it is very easy to use for my wife or other family members that want to change the zone selection.

Then, I will find a decent receiver and BD player and go from there.

I do plan to leave the 12v radio in place for the boondocking events. We often use our little bluetooth speakers with our phones too, but having the ability to play the outdoor speakers in the country is nice.

4 zone switch
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIGD604...DWBN8HVQ&psc=1

Switch I installed to shut off radio
https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-1...PRODUCTS+12135

Old 12-31-2016, 06:56 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Sounds like a good plan. I like that speaker selector plus it has good reviews. It takes up a little more of your enclosure real estate but is probably a lot easier for a electrical non-techie (like me) to wire then a rotary switch. The only drawback I see is the power it can handle.

I installed a common project left over 30 amp toggle switch on the sound system power wire on ours now after a couple late night 'wake up' calls. If it was the light only, there is a switch on the front that shuts it off. The useless clock in it wouldn't run down any decent battery though the 5ers LPG detector could over a period of a few weeks.

There are some decent solar panels available now. We had a couple 160 watt panels on out last 5er but they really weren't enough to run much more then a few lights and charge the 2 batteries as that trailer was built before reasonable cost LEDs and flat screen TVs. That output would be perfect for this one but since we seldom boondock now, probably wont bother on this one.