General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

the dumbest way youve hurt yourself??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 11:25 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess im a true walking collision wherever i go... i remember when i got my first 4wheeler ( yamaha warrior ) i dropped the clutch in a little bit higher RPM than i realized... yeah my tailbone was sore for a while

Old 08-28-2003, 12:11 AM
deermit
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys (and gals), my first post here! One of my dumbest things I did was trying to break a tire loose from its rim using a old bumper jack from my truck. I just about had it broken loose when the jack shot out from the bumper and hit me across the chest! It was hard to breath for several minutes and had a heck of a bruise across my chest! Now I pay to have my tires repaired!

Old 08-28-2003, 06:23 AM
nogo73
Posting Guru

when I moved a stack of rims after my dad yeahed at me . when I was younger and the 2nd rim from top fell as I was lift the 1st off the stack and hit my foot (i was bare footed at the time just want to get it done) ouch . It broke my big toe nail competly off

Old 08-28-2003, 06:39 AM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru

Welcome aboard, deermit. Great first post. Yoo're going to fit right in.

Old 08-28-2003, 07:50 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend

Didn't really get hurt, but this is pretty funny: As a teenage smoker I once tried to light a cigarette, but it was very windy. I tried cupping the the lighter with my hands but it was getting low on butane. Finally, I turned up the lighter to a higher setting and cupped it again. The flame shot out so hard it went up my nostril and burned out a bunch of nose hairs. P.U. Burnt hair smells bad enough, but to have it in your nose is even worse.

Old 08-28-2003, 08:09 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

A couple of years ago I was useing my dad's F150 to pull a Vermeer Round baler outta the feild and back to the farm.

When I went to hook it up to the truck, I was a bit off center when lining the truck up, but I was able to get the hitch pin started, but couldnt get the pin in far enough to put in the key.

So in my infinite wisdom I grabbed a larger hitch pin outta the pickup, as i couldn't find a hammer, and proceeded to atempt to pound the pin in. Would have worked okay had I not left my thumb on top of the pin i was hitting (I was using my left to guide the pin and my right hand had the other pin in it).

I smoked my left thumb full force with that other hitch pin. I got lucky and didnt break my thumb, and just ripped off my thumb nail.

OOOOOWWWWWiiiiiiiEEEEEEE!

Old 08-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Junior User

Dumbest- While riding a ZX7 I took a decreasing radius curve way too fast in the Ga. mountians and hit a gentleman and his lady friend traveling the other way in his new 7 series BMW.

Recently- While changing the fuses in a DC drive board my supervisor asked "Want me to turn the power off?". It was about the third time I've had to change that fuse and I while inserting it said "Naw, with the door open the boards not HOOOOOT!"

Old 08-28-2003, 12:17 PM
Lectrocuted
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I learned the hard way that a flourescent ballast packs quite a punch. Weld engineer got a pretty good chuckle out of it.

Old 08-28-2003, 12:34 PM
jbalestri
Posting Guru

Me- propped ladder against some studs that weren't true. We had knocked lose the top of the stud and were trying to true them up. Let's just say a fall from 15' doesn't really hurt that bad.

Also, never use a crescent to tighten the nut on a ball hitch in the bumper. Put a pipe wrench and turn the top. I've seen a few black eyes, busted cheeks, and loose teeth from people laying under the truck and trying to tighten the nut part of the ball while someone else holds the top with a pipe wrench.

I laughed after all of these, once we all were okay.

Old 08-28-2003, 02:31 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster

Let me just say, I am an electrician...and I check power by grounding a metal rod I am holding...do it all the time actually, and It works just fine, as long as you have a good ground...cause the power goes straight to ground but when you not have a ground....well..it goes through you.
I think I have always been destined to be an electrician. When I was young, I cu tthe pwer cord on my mom's sewing machine (I was 3 or 4) she said she found me on the other side of the room.

Old 08-28-2003, 10:03 PM
MuchToMyDelight
Posting Guru

Reading all of these posts, I realize how many of these things I have done myself. I think that the most painful experience involved my souped up go-kart. It would run 40-45 no problem. Well I had just gotten it running and it was about 10pm. I had it flying around the house full throttle. I decided to go out wide one lap and forgot that we had just ran a new water line, and cought the new, soft dirt, and flipped 4-5 times and ended up upside down, hot oil pouring all over me. Luckily the thing had a roll cage on it, but there was a bruise the size of my hand on my right thigh where the butterfly type steering wheel and the ground sandwiched my leg, and a broken left collar bone where I was held down my the roll cage, and a dollar bill size bruise on my right arm where the other side of the cage cought me. You could go out in the yard and see a line of divots about 15 yards long where I had kicked up grass. Filled the crankcase the next day and kept riding!

Old 08-29-2003, 01:05 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

First Time >

5 years old > I Put small stones in both my nostrils so I couldn't breathe apparently > Had to go to the Hospital to have them removed.

The lastest time:

3 am today.
Had a bad dream about a 2 foot tall figure (ghost like)
I tried to get out from under the comforter to make sure this thing wouldn't hurt Michelle because that's where it was heading.

I finally untangled myself in the dark, only to slide my foot under & falling forward and skinning my knee on one dresser.
With my right arm ,banging against another dresser, spraining my wrist,& with my head falling forward,hit the edge of the bedroom door ,plus wrenching my back.

I finally got to my feet & turned on the light ,only to hear:"Dennis, What you doing ?"

I finally got back to bed & asleep by 5:00 am.
so,
Left Knee
Left ankle
Right wrist
Forehead.
Lower Back

I have been sore all day.

I told you guys,I'm an accident waiting for a place to happen

Old 08-29-2003, 07:56 AM
jbalestri
Posting Guru

Dennis, I am sure with all that noise you scared the creature away.

Old 08-29-2003, 04:53 PM
country_hacker
Junior User

Oh boy, I get to chime in on the electricity angle...

When I was 9 or 10 a buddy and I were taking apart an old coffee pot my folks had replaced. We removed the hotplate, and were using it to melt crayons. Well, we decided we wanted to put a light on it so we could tell when it was on, but the LED we found didn't have enough wire on it to twist around the wires going to the heating element. Being the brilliant electrical engineer that I am, I decided to just hold the LED to the wires while my buddy plugged it in. It took a few seconds (felt like 20) for him to realize what was happening and unplug the cord. I still have frizzy hair, and that was 8 years ago!!!

Rory

Old 08-29-2003, 11:39 PM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?

I have a contractor/electrician friend who relayed a great one to me. One of his employees (a younger guy, still learning the ropes) was working electrical in the ceiling of an office with suspended ceiling tiles. He was correcting an issue that someone else had left there, and accidentally completed the circuit of a 220V line feeding an exit sign with his hand... the shock was enough to launch him off his ladder, throwing him back about 5-10 feet. He wound up destroying 2 or 3 ceiling tile in the process when his body launched into them. I think he lost a fingernail, and spent the rest of the day twitching from time to time.

Quick Reply: the dumbest way youve hurt yourself??