1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Led changeover

Old 12-23-2016, 12:52 PM
cappo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Led changeover

was wondering if anyone would know if changing over to led lamps would cause any problems for me. Have a '99 E-150 cargo and would like to install LED tail lamps, reverse lamps and front turn lamps. possibly led headlamps also. I remember on older vehicles the flashers relied on enough current to operate them and led's would not work.

Thanks

Old 12-23-2016, 02:00 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I put all LED signal/running lights in my '88 e250. All it required was changing the flasher to an LED compatible one. I have heard of it causing issues with torque converter lock up with certian years of e4od's since it sees the LED as being a burned out brake bulb. Not sure if that affects yours or not.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:17 PM
teamtestbot
Junior User
I accidentally converted the truckvan to LED reversing lights because I found someone had installed the wrong bulbs (1157 stuffed into a 1156 socket), but did not have 1156 non-LED units. The LED units are 5W emitters - I call them "buttheadlights" because they actually are extremely bright. It also has LED stoplights in the 1157 size.

I also intend to, but have not yet, replace all running lights (currently the small T10 style wedge bulbs) with equivalent LEDs.

I have not seen any LED headlight product aside from the GE LED Nighthawk like ($$$$$) which actually work - a few friends tried Amazon Specials and Chinese-made tuner parts. All horrifyingly spread-out and impossible to aim.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:06 PM
cappo
Junior User
I know the cost is coming down on them so I'll probably check into it a little more. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:35 PM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
User Redoval sells an LED headlamp for the vans I believe. Nice looking set and a few guys have them on here. Check his posts for info or send him a message. They aren't cheap but its a whole headlamp set and they look real sweet.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:12 PM
KarstenP
Senior User
On my '98 I replaced all outside lighting with LED's, including TruckLite LED headlights. Only thing I had to do was changing the flasher to a LED compatible one. No problems with tranny or anything else.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:22 AM
MoeDaMaster
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by KarstenP
On my '98 I replaced all outside lighting with LED's, including TruckLite LED headlights. Only thing I had to do was changing the flasher to a LED compatible one. No problems with tranny or anything else.
Any Problems with the TÜV? I run the older yellow turn signal-style taillights in the back with the original Bulbs, but the TÜV made me always keep spare bulbs in the vehicle as the US bulbs are not readily available ... so LEDs would be great I guess.

Is your flasher frequency ok? I was wondering if it would cause problems with my trailer module if I changed the Bulbs to LED.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:28 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MoeDaMaster
Any Problems with the TÜV? I run the older yellow turn signal-style taillights in the back with the original Bulbs, but the TÜV made me always keep spare bulbs in the vehicle as the US bulbs are not readily available ... so LEDs would be great I guess.

Is your flasher frequency ok? I was wondering if it would cause problems with my trailer module if I changed the Bulbs to LED.
After switching my flasher to an LED compatible one i had no problem with flasher frequency.

I didnt have any trailer issues with mine, but its not a TT. Just a utility trailer.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:35 AM
KarstenP
Senior User
TÜV is happy around here, they even encourage people to use LEDs when converting from to Euro-spec. Our TÜV here does a lot of US vehicle homologation and know their ****. It also helps to have a very lax homologation on my van, which was done by some Ford dealer in Baden-Wuerttemberg when the van came from Italy (ex-US Navy). For lighting my car papers say "Beleuchtung in-etwa Wirkung nachgewiesen", that means that everything but the headlines just have to have the right color Headlights have to be E-code, but the TruckLite LED headlights I run are, so no prolem there. The LED flasher is a direct plug in fit and trailer lights are not affected.
I run switchback LED front and rear:

Old 12-30-2016, 12:48 PM
MoeDaMaster
Mountain Pass
Awesome, do you habe a list of the LED bulbs I need for the conversion? Any brand recommendations or Chinese imports?

Old 12-30-2016, 01:23 PM
KarstenP
Senior User
I usually buy at VLEDS or https://www.superbrightleds.com/
Just use the same # as for non LED bulbs, i.e 3057 etc

Old 12-30-2016, 07:51 PM
moose4x4
Cargo Master
Received 131 Likes on 110 Posts
I think I am going to try these headlights when I get to that point in my truck build.

https://www.hidkitlights.com/ford-hi...Fc61wAodykQGxA

Old 01-06-2017, 06:28 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by cappo
was wondering if anyone would know if changing over to led lamps would cause any problems for me. Have a '99 E-150 cargo and would like to install LED tail lamps, reverse lamps and front turn lamps. possibly led headlamps also. I remember on older vehicles the flashers relied on enough current to operate them and led's would not work.

Thanks
I did this 10 years ago and not looked back, worked out great, the interior bulbs not so much, the LEDs burn out, short lives, but the exterior bulbs havent been touched since installation, work flawless, I did have to replace the turn signal relay with one suited for LEDs, slowing the flash.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:32 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by moose4x4
I think I am going to try these headlights when I get to that point in my truck build.

https://www.hidkitlights.com/ford-hi...Fc61wAodykQGxA
You're throwing money away, our housings are not designed for HID, they do not reflect correctly focusing on the road, you blind oncoming drivers, keep what they are designed for or convert over to sealed beam and use the LED sealed lights.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:22 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a headlight out. Need to fix it ASAP.

It's a sealed beam.

I wish i could find a simple solution. But everything I've seen is a halogen insert, OR a $90+ per bulb upgrade. ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Led changeover