5th wheel puck/ring options

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 12:55 PM
lilshooter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th wheel puck/ring options

This is what I have currently. Rectangular insert with round head and round ring.
Hi all! Any options out there for replacing missing "pucks/rings" as the dealer calls them? Our 2016 is missing a couple, these things just don't seem to want to stay on. I have found many however they aren't quite right. Mine has a round ring then a round "plug" but the insert part underneath is rectangular not round as I have found...uuggg.

Last edited by lilshooter; 12-21-2016 at 12:55 PM. Reason: horrible photo...way too big
Old 12-21-2016, 01:08 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I just use the center piece to keep crap out of the hole and leave the outer ring off. The center will lock in fairly good if not using the outer.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:07 PM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
The Ford system is really a Reese Elite system, so you might be able to get replacement parts from Reese for less money than the Ford replacement parts. Otherwise you should be able to order those through Ford using the part numbers that are molded into the parts that you have. The outer rings should seat into a groove on the outside of the "puck" that sticks up through the bed sheet metal. You have to invert the ring (fold it sort of upside down so that the center is pressed below the outside edge), force it over the puck and into the groove, then fold it down so it touches the bed. It is a very tight fit between the center of that plastic ring and the groove around the puck. Getting those properly seated will help the plug seat properly as well since the ring won't be holding the plug up away from the surface of the puck. I have to use a thin flat-blade screwdriver to remove my plugs.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-21-2016, 03:09 PM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
If you are missing the center plug for the gooseneck ball, I believe that is round. I can go pull a part number from mine this afternoon if that would be helpful to you.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:49 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
I have never lost any of this. They must not have been put on properly.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:58 AM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by senix
I have never lost any of this. They must not have been put on properly.
I think that's a very likely scenario. I had the factory prep package retrofitted to my truck and the installers didn't install the rings properly, which is how I know what is necessary to install them. The installers for mine just laid the ring over the top of the puck and then inserted the plugs to hold the rings down, which is improper.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
The outer round ring snaps onto the puck sticking up through the bed. They are a pain in the **** to snap on but once on, they do not come off. Sounds like the dealer prep guy did it the easy way and is the reason you have lost yours. I would go to the dealer and have them replace the missing and install them correctly.

Also, they should have given you the installation sheets....

Old 01-12-2017, 09:41 PM
JC450
New User
Will the puck trim and cover work with the rubber mat in place?

Old 01-13-2017, 07:04 AM
kansas gary
Senior User
I think you will have to trim the rubber mat so the trim ring will fit. There is not a lot of room for the trim ring to fit with just the bed...

Old 01-13-2017, 07:10 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Once the ring is installed properly they don't come out unless you pop them out.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:58 AM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Super Duty DJ
The Ford system is really a Reese Elite system, so you might be able to get replacement parts from Reese for less money than the Ford replacement parts. Otherwise you should be able to order those through Ford using the part numbers that are molded into the parts that you have. The outer rings should seat into a groove on the outside of the "puck" that sticks up through the bed sheet metal. You have to invert the ring (fold it sort of upside down so that the center is pressed below the outside edge), force it over the puck and into the groove, then fold it down so it touches the bed. It is a very tight fit between the center of that plastic ring and the groove around the puck. Getting those properly seated will help the plug seat properly as well since the ring won't be holding the plug up away from the surface of the puck. I have to use a thin flat-blade screwdriver to remove my plugs.
Super Duty DJ, is this with stock plastic trim rings and caps? I ordered my 2016 truck with the 5th wheel and gooseneck prep kit and the covers that came with it are junk but maybe the dealer and certainly myself, do not know how to put them on correctly. The center cap fits tight enough but the trim ring slides around and when you are on a dirt road the bed will suck dust up through those holes and cover everything in the back of the truck with dust.
I just went out and looked at mine again and can see where the groove is that the plastic trim ring, if inverted somewhat, will slip into. Can also see what it will be a total PITA to get this done. I think a hair dryer or heat lamp is going to be needed to make that trim ring soft and pliable enough to fit. Not the best time of year to do that here in Wyoming! I can't believe the dealer did not put those in before delivery? Probably because they are a PITA!

Old 01-13-2017, 09:24 AM
191124x7
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These look pretty close. The 'plugs' don't look exact, but the site/comments/reviews say they 'fit.'

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...e/RP58458.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ite/58199.html

Old 01-13-2017, 09:46 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
A heat gun is what is needed for the rings. I have occasionally pulled one of mine up with cargo.

Heat gun made it soft enough to put back in place.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by WyoBull
Super Duty DJ, is this with stock plastic trim rings and caps? I ordered my 2016 truck with the 5th wheel and gooseneck prep kit and the covers that came with it are junk but maybe the dealer and certainly myself, do not know how to put them on correctly. The center cap fits tight enough but the trim ring slides around and when you are on a dirt road the bed will suck dust up through those holes and cover everything in the back of the truck with dust.
I just went out and looked at mine again and can see where the groove is that the plastic trim ring, if inverted somewhat, will slip into. Can also see what it will be a total PITA to get this done. I think a hair dryer or heat lamp is going to be needed to make that trim ring soft and pliable enough to fit. Not the best time of year to do that here in Wyoming! I can't believe the dealer did not put those in before delivery? Probably because they are a PITA!
If the trim rings slide around, they were not installed correctly. See the installation instructions I posted above. The trim rings are a pain to get on but once on, they do not slide around nor pop off the cap.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by WyoBull
WyoBull,
This is with the stock rings and caps. I had the factory setup retrofitted to my truck, and the installers did the same thing that your dealer did, placing the rings over the pucks without seating the ring into the groove and then trying to hold them in place with the caps. It does take quite an effort to get the rings seated into the grooves, but as JustStrokin notes, once they are in the grooves they do not come out. I have had cargo push on the edge of the rings and fold them a little bit, but they seat pretty firmly against the sheet metal of the bed when they are properly installed.

Quick Reply: 5th wheel puck/ring options