6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Oil Change Mess

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 03:00 PM
montauk1
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change Mess

OK what is the trick to changing the oil filter on the 6.7 without making a mess. My last truck, which was another brand, if I would let the truck sit for a couple of hours, I could get the filter loose, put a zip lock bag around the filter, & remove the filter without any drips. With the 6.7, even if I let the truck sit overnite, it seems like the oil doesn't drain from above the filter, & as soon as it comes loose my hand gets a bath. Anyone have any tricks to changing the oil filter.
John

Old 12-20-2016, 04:10 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
I always make sure that the filter will loosen a turn or so, then take a punch and put a hole in the bottom of the filter. Then drain the pan using the EZDrain plug I've installed. Very little mess. Then when removing the filter, I put a bag over it reduce the chance of spilling it.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:14 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
Put a bucket under it and punch a hole in the bottom of the filter to drain it.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:37 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep, hole in the oil filter is what I've always done with my old 7.3L, and what I do with the 6.7L now. No mess.

I still need a fumoto valve or something, getting tired of the 3 foot stream of oil shooting out sideways from the pan.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:42 PM
montauk1
Mountain Pass
First oil change I was surprised at the oil that leaked out when I started to remove the filter. This change I had the front of the truck up a little to get all of the oil out of the pan, when I started to remove the filter it was much worse than the first time now that I had the front of the truck up. Next time I will punch a hole in the bottom of the filter for sure. Thanks for the response.
John

Old 12-20-2016, 05:56 PM
DL222
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On my first oil change I took my oil and filter to a quick oil change place. Had them put my EZDrain on for me.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:03 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
Yep, hole in the oil filter is what I've always done with my old 7.3L, and what I do with the 6.7L now. No mess.

I still need a fumoto valve or something, getting tired of the 3 foot stream of oil shooting out sideways from the pan.
Curtis,

I ordered the wrong size for the Fusion and no have a spare EZ drain valve. It is the same as Fumoto if you need it. It has the extension also but no turn down/hose end. You can get a straight hose end for it on eBay for $6.00.

Or anyone else that needs one of the valves. Cost me $37.00 shipped to me. Take $30 and ship on my dime to you.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:14 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
I use a 1 gallon milk container. I cut it open except for the handle area. After I spin the filter loose and let it sit a minute then I use the container and take it off.

I use the ez drain with a hose for the oil pan.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:00 PM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually remember to punch the hole in the filter after I've dropped it into the pan of oil because it's slippery. The ensuing splash makes me look like I've done a lot of messy work though

Old 12-20-2016, 10:25 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Originally Posted by golfmedik
I always make sure that the filter will loosen a turn or so, then take a punch and put a hole in the bottom of the filter. Then drain the pan using the EZDrain plug I've installed. Very little mess. Then when removing the filter, I put a bag over it reduce the chance of spilling it.
Calling out the order. better to loosen then punch vs. punch and find out it be stuck

Old 12-20-2016, 10:55 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Make sure and I will repeat this, make sure you grab the correct oil filter before you punch a hole in the bottom of it or you are in a place that you can get the right one easy enough! I grab a new 7.3 oil filter for my 6.7 and didn't notice it until after I punched a hole in it. My wife wasn't to happy with me when her and my daughter had to give up several hours of there day when she had to bring me a new one for my 6.7 so I could get home.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:38 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
If you don't want to punch a hole in it, the other option is to loosen it a little with a large catch can underneath it and let it slowly drop out. Then take a plastic grocery bag and wrap it around it. I also wear gloves... I second the loosen first and making sure you got the right replacement filter before punching the filter...

Old 12-21-2016, 01:11 AM
bocomojoe
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Start drain with fumoto valve, cut the top off a 2 liter soda bottle, have a beverage, loosen and punch filter, have a beverage, finish removing filter with soda bottle around filter...it still might be a little messy, close F. valve, install new filter, clean up under truck, have a beverage, refill engine with favorite bev..no no, favorite oil, clean up, complain to wife how hard you've been working, (this usually gets no results), rest, admire your endeavor, a beverage maybe?

Old 12-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clean off the excess oil on the filter flange on the engine block as well. If you don't, oil will keep dripping down the side of the filter until it cleans itself. I wish someone told me that. I thought I hadn't screwed the filter on properly for about a day.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:06 PM
montauk1
Mountain Pass
[QUOTE=Deuce40s;16809168]Clean off the excess oil on the filter flange on the engine block as well. If you don't, oil will keep dripping down the side of the filter until it cleans itself. I wish someone told me that. I thought I hadn't screwed the filter on properly for about a day.[/QUOTE

Learned that one the same way you did.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Mess