Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Chip, injector, hpop questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 06:43 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip, injector, hpop questions

I have a injector or 3 on the way out. So I'm wanting to upgrade to a slightly bigger set. I'm not racing. But the extra power would be nice. So what would y'all recommend for my old girl?
When I upgrade the injectors I'm thinking of going with the t500 hpop. Or any other recommendations? And why?
Last is my chip. When I upgrade injectors do I send the chip in or the pcm?
And I've been running my f5 for a few years. But I see a lot of people bashing dp online these days.
On a few of the fb pages they push the Hydra. But I was told by one of the guys that sell them that you don't need custom tunes with stock sticks. So that leads me to believe they run a canned tune. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I'm no expert by any means

Old 12-11-2016, 07:13 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You need to decide what you want out of it and then decide. If you go with single shots, you likely won't need the upgraded HPOP as they use less oil.

Single shots have a tendency to have a rougher idle, but tuning also affects that greatly.

As for DP Tuner, folks have been bashing them for years. If you look around enough, you'll find folks bashing just about everyone out there. The Hydra is popular because it's the latest, greatest thing, and several tuners offer support. If you've been happy with DP, then there's really no reason you need to change unless you just feel like trying something new. Jody can get you new tunes for whatever your new set up ends up being. He can even sell you all the parts for your new set up (injectors, HPOP, etc.)

Old 12-11-2016, 07:20 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
I'm not sure what single shot is. But I do not want a rougher idle.
I make alot of trips between AL and TX. Not always towing. But when I do have something hooked up the extra power would be nice for when it's time to pass somebody that can't keep up

Old 12-11-2016, 07:48 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seek advice from people who have used both DP and other tuner writers. Also be skeptical of the advice given from "one stop shops" that sell tunes and also sell everything needed to upgrade your truck. Ask very specific questions here about any advice that you are given. Here are a few links to threads where a ton of experience is voiced.

Good quick read with lots of good advice: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-install.html

Post 40 is a good place to start on this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ing-new-3.html

Very informative thread about tunes and tune writers. One or more of the best actually weighs in:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tom-tunes.html

Another somewhat technical thread by the godfather/author of tune writers about the esoteric side of tuning that some authors do not yet understand: The relation between Injection Pulsewidth and Loss of ICP - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Tunes, turbos and injectors: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nsmission.html

Old 12-11-2016, 09:30 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jhl3

Very informative thread about tunes and tune writers. One or more of the best actually weighs in:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...stom-tunes.htm
This one doesn't work.
The last one was a lot more technical than I am.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:36 AM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Please delete. Double post

Last edited by bcaughhorn; 12-12-2016 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Duplicate comment
Old 12-12-2016, 07:44 AM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
bcaughhorn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So what injectors would y'all recommend for my baby? As I said it's not a race truck. I don't tow daily. Most of the time it's driven I10. When I do tow I don't want to worry about egt. My camper is around 12k. I'll tow a gooseneck with another truck or car occasionally.
I'm looking for a little extra power, better MPG, better towing.
My hpop isn't bad. That's just a want to upgrade to better accommodate everything

Old 12-12-2016, 09:55 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
The standard answer here for what it seems like you want do would be a set of new 160cc Alliant injectors. They ARE single shots, and would possibly, depending on who is tuning them, be a little bit noisier, but they are a very nice upgrade from stock and they are available pretty much anywhere as they are the company that supplies Ford. Anyone that tunes these trucks can and has tunes hundreds of trucks with them at this point, so tuning for them, no matter which tuner you decide to go with, will not be an issue.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:16 AM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
From what I'm reading (plenty of free time at work today) the 160/30 should be plenty for what I need ( or want!)

Old 12-12-2016, 02:27 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Old 12-12-2016, 02:50 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jhl3
Thanks. Y'all get a little to deep ( for my simple mind) into some of these discussions. I may drown if it try to get in all that.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:11 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bcaughhorn
From what I'm reading (plenty of free time at work today) the 160/30 should be plenty for what I need ( or want!)
I have provided links to a couple of threads that our resident tuning experts, cleatus12r and Pocket, have contributed to in the past. Search for threads related to tuning that they specifically contributed to. You may want to read them and ask questions until you understand what is being taught.

I am no expert and what follows are a few of the "basics" from a layperson.

160CC of fuel per 1000 injection events at WOT on stock nozzles = 350 RWHP roughly...."IF" there is enough available time for fuel delivery, which depending upon how many rpms you are spinning, a lot of the time there isn't. One of the secrets to the tuning equation is "start of injection" timing: if it starts too early bad things happen=holes in blocks, etc. If it starts too late then you limit the time the injectors have to spray fuel. Another is Fuel Injection Pulse Width (FIPW) which is the amount of time the injectors are spraying fuel. If it lasts too long bad things happen=high EGT's, etc because there is possibly still a huge fire going on in the cylinder when the exhaust valve opens. This amount of time is the window of opportunity for the safe injection of fuel.

As a general rule of thumb it is desirable to limit the amount of time the injectors are spraying fuel to under 3.0ms FIPW, less is better in most cases. On 160/0's or 160/30's at 3.0ms your EGT's are going to be above normal compared to a factory 7.3 on stock injectors...hot tunes exacerbate the problem. Stock injectors are roughly 150CC. So, more fuel is being injected in the same amount of time. This is why an EGT gauge is very important for a non stock truck and even a stock truck that is running HOT tunes. As RPM's increase, an injection event of 3.0ms is too long because the amount of time contained in the window of opportunity decreases.

This is where larger nozzles play an important role and RULE. They can inject the same amount of fuel in a lot less time. According to one of our resident expert tuners, 30% nozzles are a waste of money. He also states that they are so similar to stock nozzles that you can run both on the same tunes. I had 160/30's and I NOW completely agree due to an upgrade...on the waste of money part. I don't know enough about tuning for the remaining part. I recently installed 80% nozzles and they have made a huge contribution to lowering my EGT's. Capacity increased too. While making an educated guess I will state that they have reduced the FIPW by about 1/3 which has reduced EGT's between 150-200* when towing close to 16k lbs.

I used to see just shy of 2.8mS of FIPW on Gearhead tunes which kept EGT's mostly in check except for when pulling long 7% grades w 15k behind. At those times, when EGT's hit 1150-1200, I would find another gear and let the engine spin almost effortlessly at 26-2700 rpm...yes, the climb up the mountain is a lot slower.

Wtih the 80% nozzles, I now see a FIPW of 1.7mS-2.0mS. Now I don't have to even look at the EGT gauge while climbing those same hills/mountains with the same exact loads while in the same gear at the same RPM. There is that big of a difference.

Additionally, the truck is a HECK of lot more fun to drive, especially empty.

I have NEVER had a hot tune from Gearhead. I can't say that about any of the others I have tried.

Now, this is a outstanding thread about tuning:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...my-tuning.html

Old 12-14-2016, 11:21 AM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Awesome. Thanks for the help brother. The ol girl is going to get some love after Christmas.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:21 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
I think the perfect injector for you would be 160cc with a stock nozzle. Also known as the AC code (when purchasing new), like stated above.

For guys that are just looking for a little bump in power, it is ideal. It is also a great choice if you are using your truck to tow heavier loads. You will not have to worry about EGT issues or a bunch of black smoke. When you start getting into the larger injectors, these issue become apparent and can be a headache. The larger the injector you go, the more supporting mods required to make the whole system run properly. Also, you will still maintain the good reliability the 7.3L is known for when you stick with a 160cc injector.

The 160/30 injector would be a good choice as well. It is very similar to the 160cc with a stock nozzle, but will offer a tad more power. Especially in the higher RPM band.

You can read on these forums for hours and hours about who loves what injectors. You will hear some who say hybrids are the best for everything, and then others say they love big A codes. In reality, there is a time and a place for each injector size. In your case, a simple "stage 1" 160cc injector would be all you need and want. You will not need to add any other supporting mods either. You can run them with your current setup just fine.

As far as the T500 goes... You will likely be just fine with the stock pump, unless it is in bad condition. You really won't know until you have the new injectors in though. Make your decision on a pump once you can watch your ICP and IPR numbers. If you do end up needing a pump, the T500 is a great choice. I run one myself.

For tuning, we can reburn your chip for any upgrades you decide to do. We will gladly do this for you. If you purchase the upgrades through us, your reburn is FREE. This is a benefit we offer for returning customers.

Check out New 160cc (AC code) injectors here... https://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-powers...injectors.html

If you would rather do the Reman injectors and save a few bucks, you can find them here... https://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-powers...injectors.html

Also, if you do end up needing an HPOP grade, here is the T500... https://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-powers...ator-t500.html

Let me know if you have any questions or need some more info. I would be happy to help you out.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 12-14-2016, 05:33 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
I have been searching for this one for a while and found it:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-tuning.html

There is a lot of input form many people who have run many different injectors with tunes from different vendors. Two of the best tune writers/authors weigh in too: cleatus12r and Pocket. Unfortunately, neither one sells tunes. At least one injector builder weighs in, tim at P.I.S. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...rchid=23678063 , who is one of the most honest, no BS kind of guys in the business. Tugly shares his woes with remans, gives you graphs/math and a wealth of knowledge, and you get another great explanation on FIPW and why larger nozzles are almost a no brainer. Larger nozzles can be "detuned" to behave similar to stock nozzles although some will disagree with the term "detuned". Is there an applicable replacement?

NEW Injectors

I believe they were selling NEW AC codes for around $1600 last time I checked.

Once you read through this thread you'll be ready to ask some very informed questions. Maybe you already are....

Quick Reply: Chip, injector, hpop questions