1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 08:09 PM
cujjoz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Shifting Problems

Hey guys, over the thanksgiving holiday I installed a bulletproof oil cooler kit and everything went smooth. After first start up of the truck the ABS light came on and the transmission began shifting hard and slipping 2-3. I pulled the truck back into the driveway and disconnected the batteries and started the truck up again. This time I had no ABS light and everything was running great. After daily driving the truck for about a week, the transmission has started shifting hard and feels like its slipping into 3rd. I decided to change the external tranny filter today (just bought the truck a month and a half ago.) I pulled the old filter out and it was solid black and filled with all kind of junk. Popped the new one on and went to test drive it. The truck drove slighlty better, but on my way back home the tow/haul light started flashing and it threw a check engine code. I checked the code with my scangauge and got p0757 (solenoid b stuck open.) I cleared the code and restarted the truck and all the lights went off. Drive the truck 20 or so miles back home and neither light ever came back on. The trans was still shifting hard in low gears and slipping. Drove it around some more just to test it. The lights never came back on, but its still shifting hard and feels like its slipping into 3rd. My question is what do you guys think is going wrong. I've read that the vss sensor can cause all kinds of trans problems, or it might be the solenoid. However, the wierd thing is that i cant get it to throw the code again, and the tow/haul hasnt started flashing again yet after about 30-40 miles.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:41 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I think it would be a good idea to drain the trans fluid then pull the pan, the gasket is reusable, and look to see if you have a lot of crud laying in the pan. Clean the pan and refill trans with Mercon SP or LV only, it will take about 8 quarts. Test drive and see what it feels like then. If the problem appears to be gone I would do 2 or 3 more drain and fills over a 2 week period to get as much of the old fluid out and replaced with new fluid. The only way to flush one of these is with a hot flush machine and they are very rare, even at dealerships. Worst case you are out a little time and the cost of the fluid and still have to have the trans rebuilt, if you are stock a remanned Ford is a good way to go, decent price and good nationwide warranty. Talk to ED@ficmrepair.com for a good price on OEM parts of all kinds or try Auto Nation Ford in White Bear, MN also very good online prices on all OEM parts. Best case if you caught it early enough is you will have no more problems.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:30 PM
cujjoz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jetjockey99
I think it would be a good idea to drain the trans fluid then pull the pan, the gasket is reusable, and look to see if you have a lot of crud laying in the pan. Clean the pan and refill trans with Mercon SP or LV only, it will take about 8 quarts. Test drive and see what it feels like then. If the problem appears to be gone I would do 2 or 3 more drain and fills over a 2 week period to get as much of the old fluid out and replaced with new fluid. The only way to flush one of these is with a hot flush machine and they are very rare, even at dealerships. Worst case you are out a little time and the cost of the fluid and still have to have the trans rebuilt, if you are stock a remanned Ford is a good way to go, decent price and good nationwide warranty. Talk to ED@ficmrepair.com for a good price on OEM parts of all kinds or try Auto Nation Ford in White Bear, MN also very good online prices on all OEM parts. Best case if you caught it early enough is you will have no more problems.
Thanks for the reply bud! I think im gonna do exactly that, drop the pan and see how bad all of the innards look. Gonna test the ohms on that b solenoid while im in there and might just change it and see if that helps. Fluid on the dipstick looks brand new, so fingers crossed i didnt buy a truck with a broken tranny. Only had 120k miles, studded heads, egr delete, new heads and new injectors for only $23k.