Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injector O-rings - Should I, or not???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:50 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Question Injector O-rings - Should I, or not???

Back Story - my truck has 288K miles with original injectors, HPOP, and turbo. The injectors have never been out of the engine, but I have done the torque check a couple of times, never finding excessive looseness. I see no signs of fuel in the coolant, so I don;t believe I have any issues with the cups.

I HAVE, though, for several years now, had the typical aged injector-related cold startup miss for several years now, and am finally getting ready to do an intermediate maintenance effort on my injectors over Christmas. I already have the poppet and solenoid shim packs, and had been planning on doing this work with the injectors in the engine.

However, I'm now thinking about how to make the most of this opportunity.

That said, since the engine does burn a little oil (can't quantify how much, but it's certainly not zero), do you think it would be wise and/or worth the effort to go ahead and pull the injectors and replace the o-rings. That would make the shim job a little easier (on the bench), but I also wonder if I should stick to "if it ain't broke, don;t fix it".

What do you guys think?

As always, thanks ahead of time for your input and insights.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:02 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
288k on the original o-rings? Do it.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:37 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Thanks Dan. I'm not trying to resist your input, but Why?

The truck is running great except for the cold startup miss issue. I guess I just feel a need to be talked into the extra work, primarily because I don't want to disturb more than I have to on the truck.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:00 AM
cjfarm11
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Yes I would pull them have them rebuilt and flowed and also check your cups. Then throw some new orings on and put them back in

Old 12-01-2016, 11:20 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
yes its a good idea for under 70 bucks

then do armature clearance
http://dieselpro.ca/Poppet%20Valve.pdf

kits on ebay for 70

then you know its good

Old 12-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
Thanks Dan. I'm not trying to resist your input, but Why?

The truck is running great except for the cold startup miss issue. I guess I just feel a need to be talked into the extra work, primarily because I don't want to disturb more than I have to on the truck.
My '96 need them done at 160k miles. I did my '01 at 190k. There are just to many stories of o-rings failing before or near that mileage. You're going to have to pull a lot of stuff just to install your shim kit, It's not much further to plug the injectors and install new 0-rings. That way when you button it back up, it should be good until you decide that you need the injectors rebuilt or new.

That's how I roll though, your mileage may vary.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Osmond4X4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No brainier. Use the genuine O-rings.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:14 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
For the most I am also a firm supporter of, "If it's not broke, don't fix it". However, you are pretty close to having that hurdle cleared with the work you are about to do and the 'investment' to replace them is nominal. Injector removal looks like a piece of cake (or an IHOP pancake). And you can bet that those O rings are pretty hard by now. Then toss in the luxury of shimming 'em up on the kitchen table (wives really like that) and I'd go for it. One thing I would take into account is...what, if any, are the downsides of adding them to the task? Is there any danger that you might disturb a sleeping monster? I don't think that there is in this case.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:31 PM
hotrodfeguy
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All these folks are right on. I replaced mine at 110K and they were starting to burn/wear. It is so easy to do not much harder that GP swap with the right pry bar. Just be sure to leave the GP's out and turn it over a bit to shove all the oil out before starting.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:40 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would replace the o-rings. The truck in my sig was "consuming" oil at about 150k. By 200k I was beginning to think I had some major issues revolving around burning oil, about a quart every 500-1000 miles depending upon how heavy I was pulling and a quart every 2k if I took a trip up north during the winter. Admittedly it was exacerbated by high ICP spikes from some hot tunes that I no longer run.

However, all of that was solved when I replaced injector o-rings. I now pull up to 25k combined for hundreds of miles on some days with little to no consumption between 5k mile oil changes....maybe half a quart. Valv PBE 5w-40.

Even if the injectors have been a little loose off and on for 288k miles and only move a couple of microns every time an injector fires, think of how many meters they have moved and the friction they've been subjected to for that time.

Food for thought..

I will be trading up to 175/80's soon. When I do, I am going to Loctite the upper hold down bolt with 243 which is supposed to be tolerant of oil. I may do the lowers as well.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:44 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
You're going through the trouble of shimming? Yeah... too many O-rings are failing after 13-18 years in the hole. I pulled the sticks out of my stock 94.5 engine, and not one of them had a good set of O-rings.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:05 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd pull them, get them rebuilt, bump capacity up to 200-250cc, 100% nozzles, yeah, that'll work.

On a more serious note, I'd pull them and replace the o-rings. I would also consider getting them rebuilt with the miles you have on them. New Alliant injectors would be nice, but if finances are an issue, then a good rebuild may be in order, and a lot less expensive. I'm guessing you're seeing signs of motor oil in your fuel filter, since you're considering doing this, correct?

Old 12-02-2016, 11:07 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm with you F250.. Banging on 260k and never did orings.
. During the summer, my % hit 64, with ICP still at 2800ish. Members said to do the Cody test. Since that many miles, think I might s well rering them.
With that said, I'm with the rest of the bunch with doing the job. Lemme know how the job went so I can get my balz outta my wife's purse to do the job😊...btw, post a link of the shim kit you bought please. Would like to do the same...

Old 12-02-2016, 11:31 AM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts
I'm going to join the DO IT crowd.

I did the o-ring's 2-3 months ago and the shims. Only problem was getting #8 out, as I didn't have a small pry bar, but once had right tools it was easy.

No cold starts...no smoke... and this truck has 436,000 miles

Old 12-02-2016, 03:13 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Thanks guys. I'm convinced, and I will certainly be ordering a full set of o-rings today.

I would have replied earlier, but I had to go in early this morning for an RF Ablation on the left side of my lower back, and I'm just now sort off getting into the awake and alert and rest mode. It went well, but it will be a couple of days before I know if it has worked.

Anyway, injector rebuild is not in the cards right now for multiple reasons, but I am hoping that the new rings and shims should set me up for a while.

I'll take some pictures and post up after I get it all done over Christmas.

Quick Reply: Injector O-rings - Should I, or not???