Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 08:10 AM
Pcool69
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ride Quality

The unloaded ride quality of my FX4 is pretty bad.

I think I have read most of what has been written (via search) but am looking for an update.

What have you done to improve the ride quality of this generation truck?

Old 11-01-2016, 09:03 AM
RDstrat
New User
I installed Rancho Loaded Quicklifts on the front and RS9000XL's in the rear. Still stock tires. The truck is spot-on level.

Definitely a substantial difference in the ride. No plowing into curves and the rear wheel hop is gone. The truck feels more planted on the road. That mushy feeling is gone also.

Very happy with the upgrade. Well worth it!

Old 11-01-2016, 12:04 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Most agree that the FX4 shocks are the problem. I've seen these complaints for years. Bilsteins or Rancho 9000s seem to help. Rancho 5000s or KYBs are probably about as stiff as what you have now.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:38 PM
RDstrat
New User
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Most agree that the FX4 shocks are the problem. I've seen these complaints for years. Bilsteins or Rancho 9000s seem to help. Rancho 5000s or KYBs are probably about as stiff as what you have now.
Agreed. Before I installed the Rancho coils and shocks the truck felt mushy and a bit unstable with wheel hop when hitting bumps in a curve. That all went south after the upgrade.

I had actually planned to add a rear stabilizer bar next but it is no longer necessary. For a $50K+ truck you'd think Ford would beef up the suspension a bit. But that's not new for them. Every Ford truck I've owned has needed some kind of help in the suspension department.

That's ok, I'd still rather own a Ford over any other manufacturer.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Schlotzky
Senior User
What's the complaint exactly? My FX4 feels planted and controlled and I'm not getting any wheel hop. It rides noticeably stiffer than our non FX4 almost identical truck, though that can probably be partially attributed to the Load E tires I have on the FX4. If my FX4 rode any stiffer I would be seeking to soften it up.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:17 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
My 2012 sure didn't feel planted and controlled compared to my new 2016. I think it could be the short bed on the 2012 compared to the long bed on my 2016.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Pcool69
New User
Originally Posted by Schlotzky
What's the complaint exactly? My FX4 feels planted and controlled and I'm not getting any wheel hop. It rides noticeably stiffer than our non FX4 almost identical truck, though that can probably be partially attributed to the Load E tires I have on the FX4. If my FX4 rode any stiffer I would be seeking to soften it up.
The issue is how the trucks settles after a bump. The intial bump is firm but then it is a soft bouncy ride like an old Cadillac. On a rough road the truck seems to bounce between loaded and unloaded and there is no in between. It's hard to describe

Old 11-01-2016, 06:54 PM
Pcool69
New User
Originally Posted by RDstrat
Agreed. Before I installed the Rancho coils and shocks the truck felt mushy and a bit unstable with wheel hop when hitting bumps in a curve. That all went south after the upgrade.

I had actually planned to add a rear stabilizer bar next but it is no longer necessary. For a $50K+ truck you'd think Ford would beef up the suspension a bit. But that's not new for them. Every Ford truck I've owned has needed some kind of help in the suspension department.

That's ok, I'd still rather own a Ford over any other manufacturer.

I will look at the Rancho's, thanks for the replies!

Old 11-02-2016, 02:31 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

I recommend the Bilstein. They are a really good shock...and offer great control to the truck.

biz

Old 11-02-2016, 06:30 AM
Pcool69
New User
Originally Posted by biz4two
I recommend the Bilstein. They are a really good shock...and offer great control to the truck.

biz
Are they available yet?

Old 11-02-2016, 09:07 AM
onug
Postmaster
I get the sense Ford didn't spend the time to fine tune the truck's suspension with the lighter aluminum body. The ride to me feels very "well, the computer model suggests..."

I actually prefer a stiffer than "normal" suspension. The FX4 on my '05 F-150 was perfect, especially once I installed a canopy. It might have been a little bouncy around town, but was very composed on the forest service roads I traveled. Everything just felt dialed in and working together.

My issues with the current package are twofold. First, the OEM tires with the FX4 package are horrible. They're amazing in wet weather, but the lack of sidewall stiffness is painfully obvious. I keep my tires at 40psi just to try and remove some of the floating sensation. Second, as others have mentioned the FX4 shocks don't calm things down over big bumps. The initial absortion is good, but things go all "Cadillac" from there. These two factors combined with a lack of sway bar just make the truck feel like your riding a whale.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:02 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by Pcool69
Are they available yet?

The 5100 series is available for the '15 and '16 MY according to the Bilstein website. The cool factor for the 5100 series...is that the front shocks are ride height adjustable....from 0" to 2".

They also have the 4600 series for the rear only.

If I were a betting man, then the '17 MY is going to be the same shocks.

Bilstein, Innovation and High Quality Since 1873

biz

Old 11-02-2016, 12:47 PM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Just a heads up we now have the 5000X and it is WAY better than the old style 5000.
Totally different valving and now has a gas charge too.

This video goes into great detail about it

Originally Posted by JKBrad

Old 11-02-2016, 02:17 PM
Jus Cruisin
Senior User
Maybe Ford will develop something to compete with GM's magride. My Corvette has it and the GMC Sierra Denali comes with it and likely a number of other GM models as well.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:16 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by onug
I get the sense Ford didn't spend the time to fine tune the truck's suspension with the lighter aluminum body. The ride to me feels very "well, the computer model suggests..."

I was thinking the same thing (that they didn't properly calibrate the shock valving for the lighter body). Mine rides pretty harsh unless I have some weight in the bed, or a trailer hooked on. But more important than the ride, is the way the tires skip around on sharp bumps. That could be dangerous in winter. I'm going to throw some sandbags in back for winter, but next spring I'm going to buy some Ranchos for the back. I used them on a previous truck with great results.

Quick Reply: Ride Quality