FE's EFI Systems

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 11:57 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
FE's EFI Systems

What's the Pro's & Con's on everyone who has installed it on a Fe EFI

I am running out of things to do on my truck and the last thing will be paint and don't want to be scratching up a new paint job.

I'd like to find a efi setup that incorporated the dizzy timing, but have not come across any one who has one for a Fe dizzy.

But that don't mean no one is working on one that could be adapted.

Like the title says, any disappointment after like added gas mileage added power an or over all performance likes or dislikes afterwards?'

Also Please indicate which EFI system you installed by Brand Name etc.

Thanks to anyone who leave info:

I have been reading about a few on the market like the Holley Term. Stealth
and EZ efi but personal usage in the real world sometime is different then a add whos selling them.

Orich

Old 10-31-2016, 01:03 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I recall Holley/MSD EFI retrofits can control timing.

No issues here with Edelbrock's E-Street (V1).... well, except being non-power adder compatible unlike FAST's EZ-EFI 2.0.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:04 PM
70FE250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orich

I am running out of things to do on my truck and the last thing will be paint and don't want to be scratching up a new paint job.

I'd like to find a efi setup that incorporated the dizzy timing, but have not come across any one who has one for a Fe dizzy.

Like the title says, any disappointment after like added gas mileage added power an or over all performance likes or dislikes afterwards?'

Orich
I never personally have done it yet, but you won´t be getting a huge mpg increase as previously said by everyone, these trucks are a brick in the wind. However I know you will get a lot better driveability, cleaner emissions if you tuned it right, It will cold start much better and you can tune everything to your liking. Most of my ¨facts¨ are from HIO´s thread including the EFI swap onto his truck

Old 10-31-2016, 02:13 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 70FE250
I never personally have done it yet, but you won´t be getting a huge mpg increase as previously said by everyone, these trucks are a brick in the wind. However I know you will get a lot better driveability, cleaner emissions if you tuned it right, It will cold start much better and you can tune everything to your liking. Most of my ¨facts¨ are from HIO´s thread including the EFI swap onto his truck
Thanks for the reminder! My FE didn't like 10°-12° BTDC - the common advice in carbed form...... it popped through the exhaust while downshifting and stumbled (sounded more like a sneeze) when stomped on...

Back to factory spec at 6° BTDC and the world is good.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:24 PM
70FE250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Thanks for the reminder! My FE didn't like 10°-12° BTDC - the common advice in carbed form...... it popped through the exhaust while downshifting and stumbled (sounded more like a sneeze) when stomped on...

Back to factory spec at 6° BTDC and the world is good.
So far my truck loves 12 degrees BTDC, could probably crank it up to 14 but I feel 12 is already starting to push it. What do you run with EFI? Unless your numbers you mentioned are what you´re running with it.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:18 AM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Also Please indicate which EFI system you installed by Brand Name etc.

Thanks to anyone who leave info:

I have been reading about a few on the market like the Holley Term. Stealth
and EZ efi but personal usage in the real world sometime is different then a add whos selling them.

Orich

Looks like edel has a kit that include a distributor;
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...view/make/ford
A steal at only $4300!

Seems like it would be possible to adapt a TFI distributor to a FE application and use EEC-IV system for a fraction of the cost.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:29 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by smoky_diesel
Looks like edel has a kit that include a distributor;
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...view/make/ford
A steal at only $4300!

Seems like it would be possible to adapt a TFI distributor to a FE application and use EEC-IV system for a fraction of the cost.
Thanks,
I read that, I think it was Holley or Edelbrock one of them was thinking or just a idea of using the ford EEC-IV dizzy system for spark/timing control a number of months ago. But no new input other then that.

And for the small amount of increase power an mileage increase seem a little high.
Plus, I'd still mostly, I would have to have it shave the intake to fit my squared block & heads.

As I had to do with the new Edelbrock intake, I bought needed to be shaved for a correct fit an sealing of the intake gaskets. That was $75bucks by itself.

Cost to me don't match the benefits for all the work involved.
Plus all those injectors o-rings an plugs in the wire loom is another thing, I not to fond of. Especially trying to trouble shoot a misfire.
Orich

Old 11-01-2016, 01:30 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I don't know exactly how it would all tie in on an FE but I bet it can be done --this is an area you would just have to put some research time into but, a Ford EDIS-8 (Electronic Distributorless Ignition System) would do away with the distributor and have much more accurate spark delivery (stable to 10,000 RPMs --not that the FE would stay together at this RPM but, I'm just saying...)

It would require a crank trigger wheel and sensor (parts robbed from a 5.0L Ford Exlorer/4.6L T-Birds, Crown Vics, etc.), the EDIS-8 module and a cam position sensor (IF you have sequential fire injectors) that would drop in the hole where the distributor would normally mount --this MAY have to have a machined adapter for the cam sensor but probably not impossible or too difficult to do. Most of this would be wrecking yard parts and not exceedingly high dollar to put together.

EDIS Ignition Control

The system could be run off of a MegaSquirt controller.

MegaSquirt | Premier DIY EFI Controller

Old 11-01-2016, 01:52 PM
orich
Lead Driver
I did see one Fe that was setup like that, it used 8 coil packs.
An number of yrs ago may be on fte site.

Yup another way to skin a cat for sure.

I hate to built something that no one could figure out other then a shop.
or a pretty sharp guy if they were stuck out in the hills off road with it.

When you build it you know it, but if trying to figure it out an what's wrong a long side the road it's tow truck time. An don't really want to do that to my son or the next owner down the road when, I have to quit driving or they make me stop!

Orich

Old 11-01-2016, 02:40 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
I did see one Fe that was setup like that, it used 8 coil packs.
An number of yrs ago may be on fte site.

Yup another way to skin a cat for sure.

I hate to built something that no one could figure out other then a shop.
or a pretty sharp guy if they were stuck out in the hills off road with it.

When you build it you know it, but if trying to figure it out an what's wrong a long side the road it's tow truck time. An don't really want to do that to my son or the next owner down the road when, I have to quit driving or they make me stop!

Orich
If an EDIS module fails, it automatically reverts to a base of 10° timing (limp home mode). It's a very reliable spark system.

There's a lot of technical explanation I provided in the links but, the basis of the setup is actually very simple in operation.

If you're contemplating doing something more advanced with an old machine, you'll have to not be worried about the next owner or, you'll just have to take thorough notes on what was done to include with the truck when it passes to the next person in line.

Otherwise, the discussion here of what can be done to advance/modernize what you have would be rather pointless if you're going to talk yourself out of it, for fear someone else can't figure it out, should there be a problem.

Make any modifications to your truck to suit you, not someone else. If it passes onto someone else, it develops problems and they can't figure it out, they can always throw an old points or regular electronic distributor ignition system back in the thing and run it.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:05 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraranger
If an EDIS module fails, it automatically reverts to a base of 10° timing (limp home mode). It's a very reliable spark system.

There's a lot of technical explanation I provided in the links but, the basis of the setup is actually very simple in operation.

If you're contemplating doing something more advanced with an old machine, you'll have to not be worried about the next owner or, you'll just have to take thorough notes on what was done to include with the truck when it passes to the next person in line.

Otherwise, the discussion here of what can be done to advance/modernize what you have would be rather pointless if you're going to talk yourself out of it, for fear someone else can't figure it out, should there be a problem.

Make any modifications to your truck to suit you, not someone else. If it passes onto someone else, it develops problems and they can't figure it out, they can always throw an old points or regular electronic distributor ignition system back in the thing and run it.
2X. It must be a reliable system. I think I've only sold One EDIS module in my life. What don't break don't get sold. And what don't sell Ford discontinues.
One thing to consider is that FE Dizzys are specific to FEs. Another is the crank wheel in Steve's links (F3LY12A227B) looks like it is big enough where a machine shop could make the I.D. big enough to press on the FE's crank damper spacer. Ford calls this crank wheel a "ignition pulsator crankshaft sensor ring".

EDIS-8:
F1AZ12K072A replaced by F4SZ12K072A.
F3LY12K072A replaced by F4SZ12K072A also.
F4SZ12K072A replaced by F5SZ12K072AA.
F5SZ12K072AA discontinued by Ford.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:37 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Some EDIS-8 goodies I pulled from a 5.0L Explorer.

Coil packs and bracket on the far left, EDIS-8 module, 36-1 (said as: "thirty-six minus one") crank trigger wheel/harmonic balancer, crank position sensor and the cam position sensor on the far right. If you weren't running an EFI system with sequentially-firing injectors, the cam position sensor would not be needed.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:01 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraranger
That pulse ring was not serviced separate. It only came on that damper part number F67Z6312AA. Discontinued but there is a company Ford sells a lot of their discontinued parts to in Wisconsin. They show 234 of those dampers. So some of those may still be around if you ever need a replacement.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:38 PM
DLW-70-F100
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As for the EFI, I used the MSD Atomic EFI system that also controls timing.
I have had it on for around 6 months now. I bought the MSD pro Billet distributor and 6AL box so everything plays together nicely. It's nice to just lock your dizzy to the 15* position set your phasable rotor reverse rotation 15*, then the tuner does the rest, and is pretty much all programmable. No springs to muck with. You can set total, initial, vacuum or ported, etc.

Runs smoother and better with the timing control than with out it, I used it both ways.
Cold starts much better. It's WB O2 setup so you can control the air fuel mixture, idle RPM, etc.

Cons might be if you live in hot climate and choose to use the external fuel pump. Cavitation could be an issue and in-tank EFI pump would be a better choice. Here were we live, i have had no issue with an external pump in PWM mode mounted outside of the frame rail away from exhaust. Pump is super quite too.

If I were looking today, I would think about the Holley Terminator stealth or TBI system.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:59 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Well after kicking it around for a couple of weeks or so, I jumped in an went and order the Holley 550-441 efi kit.

So now, I'll be like the rest of you guys that have been waiting on the big brown Santa Truck as it's really a under cover as UPS truck but we all know it's really the make a wish come true truck funded by wallets thick & thin that will always get you in.

Orich

Quick Reply: FE's EFI Systems