2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Review and Plan for Trailer Camera Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 10:26 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 36 Posts
Review and Plan for Trailer Camera Kit

I finally unpacked the box of stuff labeled Trailer Camera Kit. I took a bunch of photos, checked connectivity, and wrote up some notes. Everything can be found in the document link below. Comments and advice welcomed.

GASCAN - Trailer Camera Kit Review and Plan

Old 10-27-2016, 10:42 PM
SBC
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When they say "dealer installed accessory" I assume that means I take my trailer in and they do it? I think it is included in the price of the truck. Does someone think different?

Old 10-27-2016, 10:47 PM
BigStu59
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SBC
When they say "dealer installed accessory" I assume that means I take my trailer in and they do it? I think it is included in the price of the truck. Does someone think different?
yup dealer will do the install. I would make sure they know what they are doing.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:22 AM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome.. I want to use my existing backup camera on my horse trailer, then use the one that comes with the kit on my snowmobile trailer.

Definitely seems doable, since a camera is a camera (for these types of cameras)

Old 10-28-2016, 05:48 AM
felix4
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gascan
I finally unpacked the box of stuff labeled Trailer Camera Kit. I took a bunch of photos, checked connectivity, and wrote up some notes. Everything can be found in the document link below. Comments and advice welcomed.

Did you purchase this after the fact or order it with the truck? I did not order the trailer camera or trailer camera/TPMS and was wondering if it can be added later and still work with the SYNC3 system.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:33 AM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Gascan, appreciate the write up. Reps sent.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:09 AM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The camera looks like a gorpro, Thanks for the review, I am going to try and do the same thing with my existing camera, but I will have to do it back further under the trailer as I also bought the tpms system so I need to ust the ford connector.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:28 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by gascan

Thanks for sharing. There are many other systems which may be better, or not, but many will be a better value. I ordered the system primarily because it should have excellent connectivity with the on board display system and not require additional in cab hardware. With all of our toys and new ones coming out every day the room inside is becoming premium and any device not carried in and placed on the dash/console/steering col is welcome. Now, if someone comes up with a better aftermarket camera which plugs into the same system.......

And for those of us up north, don't forget the dielectric grease on ALL trailer and camera connections. Keep the evil salt water out!!

Old 10-28-2016, 12:14 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Xwild
Awesome.. I want to use my existing backup camera on my horse trailer, then use the one that comes with the kit on my snowmobile trailer.

Definitely seems doable, since a camera is a camera (for these types of cameras)
your existing camera setup is the same as mine, different seller, but same cables, on your 5 pin connector you'll probably find that pin 1-4 have wires pin 5 is empty. On mine pin 1 is video, yellow wire, pin 2 power-red, pin 3 Audio-black and pin 4 is ground- bare wire.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Rob - for the trailer connector itself, I switch mine out from the stanard Rv plug to a plug from EZ-Connector... Easier to connect, easier to maintain.. I may even look at changing out the 12pin...

Old 10-28-2016, 05:38 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by felix4
Did you purchase this after the fact or order it with the truck? I did not order the trailer camera or trailer camera/TPMS and was wondering if it can be added later and still work with the SYNC3 system.
I ordered it with the truck.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:50 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Rob - for the trailer connector itself, I switch mine out from the stanard Rv plug to a plug from EZ-Connector... Easier to connect, easier to maintain.. I may even look at changing out the 12pin...
will the ez connector work with the new location of it in the bumper.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:54 PM
Xwild
Elder User
They claim it will, but I'm not positive if it will work with the 12 pin being next too it.. I may have to give them a call on that and see if they could make something that would work with both.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:03 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Thanks. Once it all gets here I will work on the best options since the primary use will be on the slide in camper. I will have to add a jack to the drivers side front of the PU box for the camper plug and I will investigate the best routing and connections to incorporate the camera plug. And I might still just get a Blue Oval camera as was used in the past and put the Blue Oval on the back of the camper and plug it into the existing tailgate connection so it always comes on in reverse. So many questions and no place to experiment. DumDeDumDeDumDeDum. Oh well I have my tonneau, Husky liner for the rear seat, front will be ready to order this week, camper hold downs just need to be ordered, stable loads are here. Only one thing missing at the party