Another road draft question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 07:07 AM
Okobojo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another road draft question...

Sorry if this has been covered but I looked at dozens of road draft / PCV threads and none of them covered my canister type.

My engine is a C2AE 292 out of a low miles 63 f250. I've heard it run but I just installed it in my 1960 F100 project last weekend and haven't brought it up to temp yet so I don't know if it blows oil out the draft tube but I should find out this weekend. I'm guessing it does because it appears a previous owner has modified the old draft tube canister to vent out the top instead of the bottom. Anybody know why they did this?

I seem to have what looks like a PCV port on the intake. It's just a tube with nothing on it but that's all I can think of is that it uses a Tbird style PCV. Did some later yblocks have both? Can I just block off the draft tube and buy the Tbird assembly for this port?

Old 10-07-2016, 09:02 AM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
Thats a strange situation, 61-64 blocks used in F100-250 and passenger cars didn't have a hole in the block casting for the road draft tube. Maybe the bigger HD engines did? A PCV valve was used in line connected to the tube in the valley cover as shown in your picture.
A block off plate can be used for the road draft tube, they have them at T bird suppliers and Ebay. I've never seen a road draft canister like that, maybe home made? I would block it off and connect the PCV system.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:56 PM
THX1138-Z
Freshman User
On the 60's pickups, a PCV valve screws into the intake in front of the carb and that connects to a steel line that makes its way to the back where it connects to the tube you see at the rear of the valley cover. Rubber hose is used to connect all the various pieces.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:43 PM
Okobojo
Freshman User
Thank you for the replies. I'm still confused as to why I would have both systems. Were there ever any engines that used both or does it mean I have an engine built from different years?

Is this where the PCV hooked up in the front? I'd rather run pcv than the road draft so if that's where it goes, and if all I need is rubber hose, I'm going to try my hand at that.

Any idea why the road draft canister looks so odd? I was worried that it might be a clue he engine has a lot of blowby.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:02 PM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
A C2AE 292 block shouldn't have an opening in the block casting for a road draft tube. Where did you find that number?

Old 10-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Okobojo
Freshman User
Number is right above oil filter.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:41 PM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
That has me baffled, maybe someone else will know. It would be interesting to see the road draft tube removed and see if there is a factory hole in the block or did some one make one? Your theory of possible excessive blow by maybe a good one.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:21 PM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello, Okobojo. Your post and the custom work done on your oil draft tube is very similar to one I made last November. (see: post from Brit_Wheels_Fan on the 48 - 56 F1 F100 and larger forum dated 11-28-2015) I posted lots of photos but I don't know how to bring them over to this thread. The canister on my engine had also been modified with a line from the canister, but it went to a fitting on the oil fill cap. The road vent tube (I cannot see one on your canister) was plugged with a rubber plug like the ones used to cap a beaker in a science / chemistry classroom. - On removing the plug, my engine blew out a quart of oil in less than 40 miles. I removed the road draft tube and canister assembly and made a blanking plate. Then I drilled the left bank valve cover and fitted a modern PCV valve routing it to the back of the carburetor. The blow by / oil spray problem was resolved and I don't have oil leaks or excessive oil consumption. I do get a little smoke on starting cold, but I believe that might be due to worn valve guides. - I wonder if a vacuum line going down to the bottom of the engine would be able to draw adequately to vent the engine. (It might be sucking liquid oil instead of smoke from hot oil.) A vacuum vent from the top of the engine (valve cover) would be more likely to vent gaseous oil (smoke). I will follow responses to your thread as I am interested in what suggestions are offered and how you will resolve the problem. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2016, 07:35 PM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Follow up to my previous reply, I just noticed your picture with the arrow asking if that is where to fit a PCV line. Initially, I had mine fitted there and it seemed to work well, but a man from a well respected engine rebuild shop in Chehalis, WA looked at my setup and suggested I use a different vacuum fitting at the back of my carburetor. (I have a very different carburetor than yours.) His contention was that with the fitting into the intake manifold below the carburetor at the front of the engine, it might make for a rough idle and have the potential to foul the spark plugs in the forward cylinders. It did affect the idle a little, but I did not see any fouling or discoloration of the spark plugs. (Most of my driving in our rural area is over the road at higher speeds.) If I get my truck back later this week (it's in the shop for a steering box rebuild), I will get photos of where my vacuum line connects to the back of the carb.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:03 PM
Okobojo
Freshman User
Hey Brit, thanks for the considerate reply. I'm going to go with as close to the stock system from a 64 as I can get. I'll watch for the idle issue and fouled plugs and if I have issues I'll try something else.

I have it hooked up but haven't run the engine. I read this on another site: "Using the '64 truck system, the road draft tube is removed from the rear of the block, the truck adapter is attached in it's place using the stock bolt."

Is there a road draft component that mounts on the back of the block where my top arrow is above? if so, how do I know if I have the road draft version or the PCV version? I'm about to block off the lower road draft canister and it sounds like I need to replace the top canister as described above, too.