1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

52 flathead engine paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 11:44 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
I wish I'd seen the Bill Hirsch product before I painted mine. I like the look a lot better. I used a little more than two cans of the Krylon on mine, with aluminum heads.

You can build a small paint booth with some 2x4s and roll plastic. Just remember it will need some ventilation. Too much airborne paint can act like overspray and dull the finish.

This is also a good time to mention a really good mask. I use one that has changeable filters. I always make sure I have the proper filter for what I'm spraying. My rule of thumb is if I can smell the paint, the mask isn't working.

I keep a beard in the winter and sometimes have a hard time getting a good seal. I picked up some Mask Sealer at a dive shop and it took care of it. It's basically silicone grease in a chapstick. Petroleum Jelly works, but it can eventually eat the seal on some masks and is hard to wash out. KentuckY Jelly works great, but you have to have thick skin. Your friends WILL make fun of you if they see it in your tool box.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:52 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Your talking spray cans? I used two spray cans of red on my Yblock this summer and one can of black for the accessories like the starter, Genny, road draft tube,etc and one silver for the valve covers.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:55 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks. I have a good mask with changeable canister filters. For the ventilation, right it's 15 degrees out in PA, i have a shop vac in the attic of my garage (nothing up there but insulation and a some plywood for a floor) that i have hooked up to my blast cabinet with the plastic tube. I could take that tube out of the cabinet and hook to my temp booth. I'm sure it will make quick work of that filter but i end up change it alot anyhow due to blasting. think that would work? I'm not worried about hurting the vac, it's a cheapo and i have another cheapo used one waiting to take it's place when it finally has had enough. (UPDATE: after reading more about this subject using a vacuum may be a fire hazard so i'll have to rethink that. I do have a duct fan that i could rig up and shoot out to the outside. I live on 5 acres and neighbors aren't an issue, LOL.

Yes Abe that sounds about right. I wouldn't mind if i don't use it all but having extra lime green paint is probably of no value. I'll order 2 and if i need more i'll just get it later. I'll save the oil pan for last, just in case i run out.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:10 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Originally Posted by bhalemail
Thanks. I have a good mask with changeable canister filters. For the ventilation, right it's 15 degrees out in PA, i have a shop vac in the attic of my garage (nothing up there but insulation and a some plywood for a floor) that i have hooked up to my blast cabinet with the plastic tube. I could take that tube out of the cabinet and hook to my temp booth. I'm sure it will make quick work of that filter but i end up change it alot anyhow due to blasting. think that would work? I'm not worried about hurting the vac, it's a cheapo and i have another cheapo used one waiting to take it's place when it finally has had enough.

Yes Abe that sounds about right. I wouldn't mind if i don't use it all but having extra lime green paint is probably of no value. I'll order 2 and if i need more i'll just get it later. I'll save the oil pan for last, just in case i run out.
Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. We should get together this winter. I'd like to see your trucks. My 55 is in storage and my 54 isn't running right now.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:18 PM
krustiy lusti
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I decided on the Bill Hirsch green paint. I have not painted yet so I don't know how good it is. I bought two spray cans. They recommend priming the metal that isn't cast. So I am going to figure out what kind of primer to use. Or not use any primer at all.