Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling

Old 09-19-2016, 06:07 PM
jsmahan
Senior User
jsmahan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stalling

I need to pick the brains of the top guys here. My "01 6 speed has started stalling after spooling down. Example, coming down a grade in a lower gear and then push the clutch in it will die. Where do I need to look? I've recently done injector o rings and normal service. No change at all. No other issues except a very touchy throttle. All input is appreciated. It's pretty disturbing to be pulling a heavy load, have to get in the brakes hard, push the clutch in and the engine dies. Not a good day.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:10 PM
Sous
Moderator and SXE Junkie!
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Not of any help here, other than maybe include "ZF6" or "manual transmission" in the title to the thread. You can do that by selecting edit in the bottom right, then go advanced to change the title.

Good luck, and I will be watching as I have the mighty ZF6 as well.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:18 PM
jsmahan
Senior User
6 speed Stalling

I'm not sure if this changes the title but thanks for the suggestion. We'll see if it works.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:29 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Handshaker here.. Experienced the same thing for a long time, but it would "catch" itself. Never stalled out but them rpm's got purdy low. Recently found the tin nut on the ipr to be loose. Since then, truck holds its rpm's

Old 09-20-2016, 08:41 AM
Glowplugger
Elder User
Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by jsmahan View Post
I need to pick the brains of the top guys here. My "01 6 speed has started stalling after spooling down. Example, coming down a grade in a lower gear and then push the clutch in it will die. Where do I need to look? I've recently done injector o rings and normal service. No change at all. No other issues except a very touchy throttle. All input is appreciated. It's pretty disturbing to be pulling a heavy load, have to get in the brakes hard, push the clutch in and the engine dies. Not a good day.

I had the same problem and thought I solved it with a brand new IPR, but this weekend dragging the boat to a new lake I was going 65mph, hit the clutch to exit the highway and ka-chigga! Engine died right there on the highway at 65!

Missed my exit, but he restarted immediately. Next time I got on the clutch I goosed it two or three times as the RPMs fell. It stayed alive then, but only due to my fiddling with it. The pressure sensor on mine's new too. Heck I've thrown so much parts at this problem that I can't remember what all I've done.

Watching this thread to see if a fix turns up.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:43 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jsmahan View Post
I'm not sure if this changes the title but thanks for the suggestion. We'll see if it works.
If you want to change the title of your thread, edit your first post and make sure you use the "Advanced" button, else it doesn't show your title.

A bunch of us try to use that to add "solved" or similar edits to titles when the urgency has passed.

Hope this helps!

Oh- Stalling on decel? I replaced the CPS, then eventually the IPR on my auto.

Could also be your TPS, some trucks have problems with those.

You can check if fuel might me an issue...rev up in your gear, then slow down by drifting almost to a stop, see if it stalls at low RPMs, or during abrupt drops in RPM, like pushing in the clutch to shift gears...

Old 10-13-2016, 06:20 PM
Glowplugger
Elder User
Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.
Did you ever get this fixed?

Old 10-13-2016, 06:54 PM
jsmahan
Senior User
I'm not sure it's fixed yet but I did do the TPS relearn procedure and it seems to be a little better. I won't really know until I can get some time in the seat with a load to see how it acts.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Glowplugger
Elder User
Roger that. Please keep us posted. I'm about to start a thread on it myself. If i come up with a solution I'll post it for everyone.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:28 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Post Fiend
CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
A few years back my E99 was doing that, stalling when coming to a stop. (6-speed) Also hard starting when warmed up. Ended up being leaking injector o-rings. With over 300,000 miles on it, installed reman injectors at the time. That was my problem, and the cure.