2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2016 Expedition Wind Noise - Why???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:03 AM
developer
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While with the help of another forum member, I was able to determine that the weatherstrip on mine was not properly installed, correcting that did not fix the problem.

The dealer refuses to acknowledge there is a problem other than their tech writer telling me something to the effect that I have to accept it because it's not a rolls royce or some such nonsense.

I have had time to get a little more into the detection part of it. It seems like the noise is very pronounced when there is a cross wind and not so much when there isn't. Why that is, I'm not sure. I suspect (and I don't know how to prove this), that there is an outside and an inside weatherstrip. If crosswinds enter the outer weatherstrip, it may generate noise.

I also noticed that noise can bounce off the windows so that it "sounds" like it's coming from one place, when it's actually coming from another. The defroster sometimes sounds like it's blowing from the door, which of course, it's not. That may have to do with the special windshield which is supposed to block sound.

I'm open to any and all suggestions as I am sure you are too!

Old 01-26-2017, 11:50 AM
developer
Junior User
I FOUND THE PROBLEM and here's my fix...

There is a GAP between the top of the window glass INSIDE the channel of the window glass gaskets, not the door gaskets (even though mine were not seated right).

Either the gaskets are not formed right or the window glass is not adjusted right. Either way, there is a gap and that is why there is so much noise, especially when there is a cross wind. It's like the window is cracked open a bit, even though it appears fully closed.

Rather than start again with dumbfounded dealers who would probably cause more damage opening door panels, adjusting windows, etc., I went to HOME DEPOT and bought a roll of Frost King Vinyl-Foam weatherseal 3/8" x 3/16" x 17' long. Brown #V443B "Moderate Compression" type. It was only a few dollars and more than enough to do the windows.

I inserted it inside the window channel beginning in front near towards the top of the window gasket where it began to curve back, then all along the top and I ended it at the back of the channel where it becomes vertical. There is no channel on the back part. The glass just slides against it, so you can't put any there.

110% better, and such an easy, easy fix.

It fits in the channel and you have to look inside to see it. If you could find a black version, that couldn't be seen at all. It's perfectly fine this way though and not unsightly or noticeable at all.

You can use a small flat screwdriver or some implement to set it into the channel. I put the windows up and left them like that overnight to seat. There is adhesive tape on the top side of the weatherseal.

Now that I've done the front windows, I now hear the back ones. We had rain today. I will do the back ones as soon as it dries up outside.

Give that a shot!

Old 01-25-2018, 11:23 PM
walter guerrero
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same problem with 2015 expedition el

I habe wxcessive wind noise above 45 mph but and seem to locate where it is coming from..
Originally Posted by developer
I FOUND THE PROBLEM and here's my fix...

There is a GAP between the top of the window glass INSIDE the channel of the window glass gaskets, not the door gaskets (even though mine were not seated right).

Either the gaskets are not formed right or the window glass is not adjusted right. Either way, there is a gap and that is why there is so much noise, especially when there is a cross wind. It's like the window is cracked open a bit, even though it appears fully closed.

Rather than start again with dumbfounded dealers who would probably cause more damage opening door panels, adjusting windows, etc., I went to HOME DEPOT and bought a roll of Frost King Vinyl-Foam weatherseal 3/8" x 3/16" x 17' long. Brown #V443B "Moderate Compression" type. It was only a few dollars and more than enough to do the windows.

I inserted it inside the window channel beginning in front near towards the top of the window gasket where it began to curve back, then all along the top and I ended it at the back of the channel where it becomes vertical. There is no channel on the back part. The glass just slides against it, so you can't put any there.

110% better, and such an easy, easy fix.

It fits in the channel and you have to look inside to see it. If you could find a black version, that couldn't be seen at all. It's perfectly fine this way though and not unsightly or noticeable at all.

You can use a small flat screwdriver or some implement to set it into the channel. I put the windows up and left them like that overnight to seat. There is adhesive tape on the top side of the weatherseal.

Now that I've done the front windows, I now hear the back ones. We had rain today. I will do the back ones as soon as it dries up outside.

Give that a shot!

Old 01-26-2018, 07:28 AM
developer
Junior User
Walter, my fix did not last. After a while, the weatherstrip I added got compressed and some of the wind noise came back. I'm convinced that the windows are not properly adjusted from the factory on some of these and they aren't seating in the track completely. The result is that when there is a cross wind or some change in air pressure between outside and inside, air leaks around the edge of the window. It kindof sounds like the window is open a little. I have this on all 4 windows, and once my lease is up, I won't be buying this or leasing another. The dealer here was terrible in avoiding the issue. It could have been pretty close to perfect, but for the money I think I'm entitled to windows that close properly.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:06 PM
rjd75
Senior User
Originally Posted by developer
Walter, my fix did not last. After a while, the weatherstrip I added got compressed and some of the wind noise came back. I'm convinced that the windows are not properly adjusted from the factory on some of these and they aren't seating in the track completely. The result is that when there is a cross wind or some change in air pressure between outside and inside, air leaks around the edge of the window. It kindof sounds like the window is open a little. I have this on all 4 windows, and once my lease is up, I won't be buying this or leasing another. The dealer here was terrible in avoiding the issue. It could have been pretty close to perfect, but for the money I think I'm entitled to windows that close properly.
One thing you may want to try it to seal the weatherstripping that goes around the Window. On several of my expys I have mitigated if not eliminated unwanted air noise by doing this, in fact the noise on my passenger side I mentioned earlier in this post was solved this way. Put your window in the full down position and pull on the weather strip that runs around the Window when it is closed. You will be surprised to see that this weather strip is held on with nothing, it is totally lose from the factory. What I do is run a bead of clear silicone in the channel where it meets tho top of the door frame and latch side of the door. Push it back on as tight as you can and close the Window all the way and let it cure overnight.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:38 PM
Chris_H
New User
We just traded my wife's 2004 Eddie Bauer with 161,xxx miles on it for a 2017 Limited with 12,700 miles on it and have the same wind noise. When we were test driving it I noticed how loud it seemed to be compared to her old Expy so we drove another 2017 on the lot and had the same noise. I just assumed it was normal now for the truck despite it not really being normal in my mind. I'll have to pull her weatherstripping down and see if I can get it fixed like ejd75 is mentioning. I find it pretty unacceptable to have this much wind noise in the truck for how new it is.

Chris

Old 06-28-2018, 05:59 PM
CeeBee
New User
I just bought a preowned 2017 Ford Expedition EL two weeks ago and I'm having THE SAME issue coming from the passenger side. It starts really whistling above 45mph or if there is any sort of crosswind. It sounds like it is coming from the window but when I roll the window down you can hear it OUTSIDE the vehicle. So I know its not the window. It is driving me insane.

I bought some hardware store weatherstripping from the advice on this thread and added it to a few places that looked suspect (where the mirror mounts to the door, the door window stripping, etc) but the sound kept coming back.

I ended up taking it to the dealer because it was really annoying me and they were trying to tell me it was the mirror. But, after placing tape on most of the joints of the mirror I realized, the dealership is full of *****.

I brought it home and started messing with it (again!). In my frustration I started looking at the weatherstripping again and sure enough, the roof weatherstrip seal (Part # EL1Z-7851222-A) was extremely loose fitting compared to the drivers side (which is not whistling) and there was no way to get it any tighter. This was one of the places I had placed weatherstripping before but now it was full of dirt and compressed making me certain it was coming from this area. I replaced the weatherstripping again (this time extending the entire length of the roof weatherstip seal all the way into the middle seat area). This seems to have done the trick for the time being. I may try a few beads of silicon to keep the roof weatherstrip in place as the original is in decent condition just "stretched out." However, eventually I will have to replace the roof weatherstrip seal as I don't find any joy of constantly having to replace compressed window weatherstripping.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:46 AM
yacn
New User
wind noise 2016 navigator

I too am experiencing wind noise. I traded in my 2004 expedition and bought a 2016 navigator reserve.

both my wife and I feel like the windows are down slightly when driving it. wind noise and it sounds really loud when large trucks go by...especially the drivers side.

I took it to dealership and they said they couldn't verify and that it was normal.

My wife and I drove at least a dozen navigators before buying this one and didn't seem to notice any noise like this one has.

Did anyone find a solution? Or figure out where the noise is coming from?