Mtphammers Engine Build Thread - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Mtphammers Engine Build Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 02:37 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Mtphammer has a very good reputation on FTE.Mtphammer has a very good reputation on FTE.Mtphammer has a very good reputation on FTE.Mtphammer has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
Thanks for the updates and the information on this system. Good to know! I'm going to be looking into one of these systems (or one similar) in the near future.What do you mean by "running like garbage"? What were the symptoms?

By the looks of it, weren't you using the stock system? Isn't the Y on the stock system quite a bit further down? I'm curious what something like the Walker Y-Pipe would do (considering that the Y comes together only inches after the two manifolds, and the O2 bung is directly after. If I recall correctly, the O2 sensor is about 4" from the end of the rear manifold.Have you thought about looking into the stock heavy duty exhaust manifold? You'd have the single outlet and a higher flowing system. I think it'd work really well in that regard.
The FI tech would "hunt" for the correct AFR but would never be able to get it there. The only way I could get it stop pulsating at idle was to force it into an incredibly rich idle AFR.

The walker Y pipe may have the desired effect but I probably will never know. I'm headed down a different direction with the build. I'm no longer interested in a hot rod. It's being built to be a true replacement for my 1999 F250. Something that is often overlooked about the HD exhaust manifold: It doesn't have a provision for a controlled heating of the intake (there's no heat valve). Also, the stock manifold has a port that's the correct thread for the 02 sensor that comes with the FI Tech system.

Plus, for $75 I got a '87 300, Np 435 4 speed, and everything for that combo that had already been pulled out of a truck. So the manifold I'm using was practically free

Old 01-05-2018, 02:44 PM
AbandonedBronco
AbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to all
Nice find. I paid $300 for my parts truck that had a 300 and NP435. Can't go wrong there. Wouldn't an '87 be EFI (dual manifold) though?

I didn't think the throttle body EFI setup needed a heat source. I didn't plan on running one with mine. The heat source (from my understanding) was to stabilize the temperature so you weren't constantly going rich/lean from different temps, which a carb can't compensate for. Not really necessary when the computer does it for you. At least... That's my understanding. It'd be interesting to contact FiTech and ask their opinion.

Either way, it sounds like you have a really nice truck coming along.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:52 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Mtphammer has a very good reputation on FTE.Mtphammer has a very good reputation on FTE.Mtphammer has a very good reputation on FTE.Mtphammer has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
Nice find. I paid $300 for my parts truck that had a 300 and NP435. Can't go wrong there. Wouldn't an '87 be EFI (dual manifold) though?

I didn't think the throttle body EFI setup needed a heat source. I didn't plan on running one with mine. The heat source (from my understanding) was to stabilize the temperature so you weren't constantly going rich/lean from different temps, which a carb can't compensate for. Not really necessary when the computer does it for you. At least... That's my understanding. It'd be interesting to contact FiTech and ask their opinion.

Either way, it sounds like you have a really nice truck coming along.
I miss typed. It was out of an '86. The runners on the offy intake on cylinders 1 and 6 are awfully long. I want to give fuel air mixture as much help as possible with the heat. I don't want the fuel puddling up on me. On a v8 like Fi Tech was gearing the system for this is a complete non issue. There's also a lot of gravity in the long runners that the mixture has to fight. Not the case in a v8 application

Old 01-05-2018, 04:06 PM
fordman75
Postmaster
fordman75 is a name known to allfordman75 is a name known to allfordman75 is a name known to allfordman75 is a name known to allfordman75 is a name known to allfordman75 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mtphammer View Post
I miss typed. It was out of an '86. The runners on the offy intake on cylinders 1 and 6 are awfully long. I want to give fuel air mixture as much help as possible with the heat. I don't want the fuel puddling up on me. On a v8 like Fi Tech was gearing the system for this is a complete non issue. There's also a lot of gravity in the long runners that the mixture has to fight. Not the case in a v8 application

If it wouldn't be so expensive a dual 2V throttle body set up would be pretty cool. And it would perform better. That would give a more even air/fuel distribution to all the cylinders.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:37 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
BaronVonAutomatc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Does that FI system control the ignition as well?

Old 01-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordman75
If it wouldn't be so expensive a dual 2V throttle body set up would be pretty cool. And it would perform better. That would give a more even air/fuel distribution to all the cylinders.
That would be sweet. I've already invested the money into the Fi Tech though. Maybe something to consider for the future on a different build...
If we are going that far though might as well switch to Holley's self tuning port injection setup

Old 01-05-2018, 05:55 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by BaronVonAutomatc
Does that FI system control the ignition as well?
Yes it can, but only with single wire distributors that are locked out. I can't find a single distributor like that available for the 300.