1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Take a look at these drums would ya? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 02:07 PM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look at these drums would ya? (Pics)

I've been hearing quite a bit of noise coming out of the front passenger drum so I decided to pop her look today and check out my first drum. It was magical..... Lol. Not really. Was a PITA to get off. PO certainly had her greased up nicley though. The drum was super snug in place with he pressure of the plates push. Maybe designed that way.?.? Anyway. Saw a couple things needing to be replaced here soon. Figured I should go ahead and buy some new spring kits. Cylinders look ok. Not leaky... Responded well to pump test. The adjuster thing at the bottom seemed loose. How tight should that be by the way. No maintenance manual yet so I am just guessing. Anyway. Whatcha think? See any reason they'd be squeakng without my applied foot pressure?

Name:  EE86850A-A8D6-4D45-80D9-B577BD19EC84_zps7vlvwpyj.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  206.8 KB

Old 08-29-2016, 02:23 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My .02.

Since the drums were tough to get off, then likely they are worn and the shoes are riding in a pocket(run your finger over the surface in the drum and see if it is flat). Could be something rubbing causing the squeak.

That adjuster will be loose with the drums off. Put the drum on the spindle and tighten the spindle nut correctly, then using a screwdriver through that small hole in the back(there is a rubber plug) you rotate that star wheel til there is a light drag on the drum as you rotate it with your hand.

Before assembling, note which way the star wheel has to be turned to tighten(expand) the brakes. It is usually easier to screw the wheel IN to allow easier assembly of the drum/spindle. Then adjust back out.

Looks like the brakes are about 1/2 worn? Kinda hard to see exactly. You can see the taper in the lining material as it goes towards the bottom. The hardware all looks okay.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:01 PM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Freightrain
My .02.

Since the drums were tough to get off, then likely they are worn and the shoes are riding in a pocket(run your finger over the surface in the drum and see if it is flat). Could be something rubbing causing the squeak.

That adjuster will be loose with the drums off. Put the drum on the spindle and tighten the spindle nut correctly, then using a screwdriver through that small hole in the back(there is a rubber plug) you rotate that star wheel til there is a light drag on the drum as you rotate it with your hand.

Before assembling, note which way the star wheel has to be turned to tighten(expand) the brakes. It is usually easier to screw the wheel IN to allow easier assembly of the drum/spindle. Then adjust back out.

Looks like the brakes are about 1/2 worn? Kinda hard to see exactly. You can see the taper in the lining material as it goes towards the bottom. The hardware all looks okay.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:52 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 260 Likes on 187 Posts
Can't see a jack stand so I thought I'd mention you ought to have one in this situation. I actually prefer solid wood blocks when I can use them.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:57 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Looks like that rear shoe has shifted back away from that upper pin. Pull it towards you a bit and move it back against that upper pin. Under the springs. This will get the shoe back resting on the backing plate pads that it is supposed to rest on.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:59 PM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Looks like that rear shoe has shifted back away from that upper pin. Pull it towards you a bit and move it back against that upper pin. Under the springs. This will get the shoe back resting on the backing plate pads that it is supposed to rest on.
Good catch

Old 08-29-2016, 05:33 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by NashvegasMatt
Good catch
Thanks.
If it were me I'd buy spring kits and new wheel cylinders. The wheel cylinders of a name brand. Example...Wagner. 1st because of horsing around with the shoes you've disturbed them. 2nd because over the years crud settles in them. And the piston cups are trying to seal the brake fluid and that crud inside. By disturbing them you may create a leaky wheel cylinder. Rock Auto has this stuff cheap. And please make sure you get a new guide for that self adjuster cable. It's looks makes me nervous.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:39 PM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Didn't have the time to swap anything out. I'm still hearing a rubbing noise. It's a cylindrical noise so I know nothing is stuck. Just each time the rotation hits that spot I hear contact. The exact same noise as before I took it apart. Thinking maybe it's not adjusted correctly or the cylinder is in fact not working properly under load. The other three have no signs or sounds of distress.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:38 PM
spdcat72
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The self adjuster cable is not in it's guide. It's not supposed to be behind that little curved piece, but around the curve. Not sure if that could cause your noise, but it's not right.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:24 AM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Originally Posted by spdcat72
The self adjuster cable is not in it's guide. It's not supposed to be behind that little curved piece, but around the curve. Not sure if that could cause your noise, but it's not right.
ooooohhhhhh. wish I had a maintenance manual.. haynes, etc... whathaveyou. gonna have to locate a picture of one that is correct for reference. this is how the PO had it, but if this ones wrong I need to crack open all 4

Old 08-30-2016, 07:31 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Assembly diagrams.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:42 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
bottom self adjust spring looks wrong it's , get a spring kit

OH and don't forget the Wheel chok . It's painful when the truck rolls away on you

Old 08-30-2016, 09:50 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm Jeff replace all hardware.
The rubber end caps on the wheel cylinder is basally a dust boots, to check the inner cups for leakage roll back the dust boots on both ends and take note! look for wet fluids that has leaked pass the inner cups.

Or a yellowish buildup of crusty crud that can cause the one side of the piston to freeze in place. If this happens one side will only be working that may cause the other shoe to drag and not retract to it's normal resting place..

Orich

Old 08-30-2016, 10:02 AM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
ULTRA YOU ARE MY HERO awesome diagram....

Also can anyone explain "self adjusting" vs what I have? worth it?

CLICK HERE

Old 08-30-2016, 10:23 AM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Also it looks like the top right spring is:

1)too short/possibly the bottom spring and/or

2)in the wrong guide hole.....the angle isn't right on the top right spring compared to the picture

Quick Reply: Take a look at these drums would ya? (Pics)