Expedition losing power

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 08:24 AM
Melamama
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expedition losing power

Help!!! Ok I need some automotive advice. I have a 1998 Ford expedition. First indication of issues is that the fuse for my LED headlights blew. Then the next morning the battery would not start the car it was just clicking. I jumped it off drove down the road the vehicle completely lost power and shut off. I got it jumped off again went to advance auto parts turned off the car and it again would not restart because it needed a jump. After getting jumpstarted the guy at advance said to test the alternator would be to remove a battery cable and if it stays running then The alternator is good. And the engine shut off immediately. So I bought a new alternator and replaced it jumped it off drove it down the road and it's losing power all over again. I'm a single mom with three kids and cannot afford to put this thing in the shop. Please any ideas of what the issue may be would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance!

Old 08-31-2016, 01:20 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you were at the local auto store did they ask you how old the battery was and did they load test it? Could be your battery isnt holding a charge, but it sounds like you have a short some place which would have led to the fuse blowing.

Have you installed anything new into or on your vehicle? Stereo, car starter, trailer wiring etc? Anything where you had to do any type of electrical connections? Is the wiring to your alternator, starter and battery tight? No loose connections at any of those three spots? Have you checked to make sure your battery cables are not corroded and they arent rubbing on any metal parts that would cause a short?

I would try and check those things, and if your not that great with mechanical things if you have a friend or relative that could help chase some of that down with you. Not picking on you just not everyone has a mechanical aptitude. Try and look at some of those things and see if you find anything.

You will kinnd of have to go thru a process of elimination, but from the sounds of it, somewhere there is a short that blew the fuse, whether that short is draining your battery is one of the unknown possibilities here, but it is a possibility

Old 09-01-2016, 01:17 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Can you borrow a voltmeter?
Or get one for $6 at Harbor Freight.
Once you get some voltage readings you can narrow down where the problem is, but it does seem like you have a short draining the battery overnight.