Oil cooler? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Oil cooler?

Old 08-19-2016, 03:02 PM
Post Fiend

olfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to behold
Oil cooler?

2005 Super Duty, 6.0, egr delete, 65 mph on flat highway, unladen, coolant temp 178*, oil temp 196*. I have read that with a delete that the temp spread isn't as critical. But I've never seen this much spread before. Am I looking at oil cooler? Thermostat? Getting ready for an RV trip next month! Thanks in advance guys.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:36 PM
Post Fiend

WatsonR is a name known to allWatsonR is a name known to allWatsonR is a name known to allWatsonR is a name known to allWatsonR is a name known to allWatsonR is a name known to all
Change the thermostat
Old 08-19-2016, 04:46 PM
Postmaster

navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonR View Post
Change the thermostat
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This engine is a lot happier around 190* and up, and will likely be reflected in your MPG and performance. You are just wasting fuel at those temps.

I will say I have not read that deleted the 15* spread is not an issue, you are still running an OEM cooler and not air cooled but perhaps there is another view point on that.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:34 PM
Post Fiend

olfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to behold
Ok, thanks guys. For the record, after holding at 178* coolant temp for 20 minutes or so, she finally rose to about 190*. The oil temp rose simultaneously and maintained an 18* spread. I'll change the thermostat. Seems to be sticky. Thanks again!