1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side body molding / wheel well liners- question 2016 SD.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 10:00 PM
SLDNX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side body molding / wheel well liners- question 2016 SD.

It's looking like I'll be closing a deal on a 2016 Platinum SD but it's missing two things I was thinking about adding.

It doesn't have the side body molding, which is around an 70.00 upgrade when ordering. Does anyone have a part number on these or at least width and length measurements, so I can start maybe looking to add these myself.

The other thing I was tossing around was the wheel well liners. Any advice or feedback on these? Are they worth it? Can they be added later and do they look decent ? How about a Ford part number?

Thanks!!

Old 08-11-2016, 05:18 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
I added the wheel well liners on a 2011 and thought they were well worth it. It helps to keep the mud and other junk from being slung up into the inner area. There are two makers. Ford and Husky. I installed the Ford and was well pleased. Some on here probably suggest the Husky. I would research both. Both can be found on eBay.

Wheel-Well Liners Part No: BC3Z-9927886-A
https://accessories.ford.com/panel-w...ter-10154.html

i ordered the body molding on the 2011 also. I didn't think it was worth it. It didn't really prevent another door from striking the truck. It was painted to match the truck color from the factory. Aftermarket Ford molding will have to be painted to match your truck as it comes in primer only. Adding the molding is going to be a lot more than the $70 cost at ordering.

front doors is #2 in parts list.

EXTERIOR TRIM - FRONT DOOR for 2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty

Rear doors

EXTERIOR TRIM - REAR DOOR for 2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty

Lot of people on here like the flat style splash guards. Couple different makers of them besides Ford. I have had good luck with the Ford style flat ones.

https://accessories.ford.com/catalog...sult/?q=splash

Ford accessories for 2016 Super Duty

https://accessories.ford.com/vehicle...duty/2016.html

Old 08-11-2016, 06:48 AM
SLDNX
Senior User
Wow, buy this guy a beer!! Thanks for the info!!!

The reasons you mentioned for the side molding and wheel well liners is exactly why I was looking at them!!!

Originally Posted by Just Strokin
I added the wheel well liners on a 2011 and thought they were well worth it. It helps to keep the mud and other junk from being slung up into the inner area. There are two makers. Ford and Husky. I installed the Ford and was well pleased. Some on here probably suggest the Husky. I would research both. Both can be found on eBay.

Wheel-Well Liners Part No: BC3Z-9927886-A
https://accessories.ford.com/panel-w...ter-10154.html

i ordered the body molding on the 2011 also. I didn't think it was worth it. It didn't really prevent another door from striking the truck. It was painted to match the truck color from the factory. Aftermarket Ford molding will have to be painted to match your truck as it comes in primer only. Adding the molding is going to be a lot more than the $70 cost at ordering.

front doors is #2 in parts list.

EXTERIOR TRIM - FRONT DOOR for 2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty

Rear doors

EXTERIOR TRIM - REAR DOOR for 2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty

Lot of people on here like the flat style splash guards. Couple different makers of them besides Ford. I have had good luck with the Ford style flat ones.

https://accessories.ford.com/catalog...sult/?q=splash

Ford accessories for 2016 Super Duty

https://accessories.ford.com/vehicle...duty/2016.html

Old 08-11-2016, 07:40 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
I added the Husky wheel well liners to my 2011 and the ford OEM mud flaps front and rear. I like the Husky liners because they cover down to the bottom of the frame.

I don't have the side body molding, and I like it that way. Easier to clean/wax, and I don't know if they help since a car door is likely to hit below the molding. It might help against a big truck/suv though.

The liners and mud flaps are both easy to find and install. Amazon, eBay are both good places to start.

Good luck.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:10 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Here is a photo of the 2011 with the body molding. You will have to download the photos and blow them up to see the molding since they are the same color as the truck.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:58 AM
CyberJay
Senior User
When I was shopping for my '16 I never paid any attention to the body side moldings. I didn't want them, but I didn't have anything against them either.

My '16 happened to have them on it. I didn't really think anything of it.

Now, my '04 which I bought new in '04, had not been washed since probably about 2008. So, as I was getting ready to sell my '04, of course, I cleaned it really well and even put a little wax on it. As I was doing this I noticed something... I had 1/2 a dozen little chips in my paint RIGHT along the line where the side molding goes.

I kinda laughed to myself and said "Well, I guess there IS a reason to have that on the truck."

I don't know that I would go to all the trouble of installing them on a truck that didn't have them. But I'd certainly add them to any truck someone is ordering from the factory.

I also have Husky wheel well liners and mud guards. They fit well, but I'm sure the ford stuff is just as good. The Husky Liners were slightly cheaper than what I could find the Ford stuff for when I was shopping.

I'm VERY surprised a Platinum level truck doesn't come with wheel well liners on it already.

-J

Old 08-11-2016, 12:16 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Definitely go with the WW liners. Keeps road debris from hitting, nicking and chipping the under side of the bed. Mud flaps too for the same reason.
$70.00 on top of what the Platinum costs is a no brainer. It will at least prevent "some" chips down to the bare metal and like Cyberjay said "I guess there IS a reason to have that on the truck".
If you don't get the molding the first time you see a nice deep nick you will hurt your leg trying to kick your self in the butt.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:05 PM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 327 Likes on 297 Posts
Liners are a good idea, the molding around the wheel wells and the door mouldings IMO are a bad idea, these are nothing more than water, salt and dirt retainers and if you live in the Midwest to East, it going to help with rusting out sooner. I have the moulding on the wheel wells and the doors and I have rust problems at each. I'm in the beginning of finding new skins to replace all this stuff.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:40 PM
CincyPSD
Junior User
When I first settled on a new 2016 Lariat 6.7 it had the body molding and was ruby red. That deal fell through and the one I bought didn't. At the time I was use to seeing it on there so the dealer offered to include them. They had them painted but I said to hold off on installing since I then got use to not having them. They are in my house now wrapped up. I may install at some point.
First want to get wheel well liners and rear mud flaps. It's causing rock chips on my boat.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:52 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Grease the fasteners when installing the liners to prevent bare metal spots from the threads biting into the paint. I greased both sides. The installation instructions look like someone inked a chickens feet and let her wander around on a piece of paper. In fact that could be easier to interpret. Bad real bad...But they are worth it.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:24 PM
SLDNX
Senior User
Thanks guys!!

Does anyone have a close up pic of the side body molding and some measurements? I found an aftermarket company that has them and they seem pretty decent.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:22 PM
SLDNX
Senior User
So what is the general consensus on the wheel well liners???

If you put them in, do they hold debris or other crap behind them?? I guess I'm curious about salt, and other road grime getting in behind them. without the liner, it's pretty easy to wash everything out pretty good.

Thoughts???????

Old 08-15-2016, 08:36 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 327 Likes on 297 Posts
As others have said, the liners will help with chips and stuff, but you will have road dirt and salt build up, keeping the washed out on a regular basis will help but if you want to get it all out you will have to remove the liners every now and then. I just pulled mine off about 2 weeks ago and I swear, I could fill up a 5 gallon bucket with the dirt and rocks that washed out..I'll link a picture of my trucks left side so you can see what the door molding and dirt/salt combo has done over time. Mind you I just bought this truck a few months ago so obviously the PO didn't take care of it cosmetically.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkjlqtwgcw2swgh/Pic2.jpg?dl=0

Old 08-15-2016, 09:37 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SLDNX
Thanks guys!!

Does anyone have a close up pic of the side body molding and some measurements? I found an aftermarket company that has them and they seem pretty decent.
If you look at the photos I posted, you can see the molding is roughly 1/4" to 1/2" each edge of the doors.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:23 PM
SLDNX
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mike1
As others have said, the liners will help with chips and stuff, but you will have road dirt and salt build up, keeping the washed out on a regular basis will help but if you want to get it all out you will have to remove the liners every now and then. I just pulled mine off about 2 weeks ago and I swear, I could fill up a 5 gallon bucket with the dirt and rocks that washed out..I'll link a picture of my trucks left side so you can see what the door molding and dirt/salt combo has done over time. Mind you I just bought this truck a few months ago so obviously the PO didn't take care of it cosmetically.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkjlqtwgcw2swgh/Pic2.jpg?dl=0
Very interesting !!!! I don't want to be carrying that crap around.....that just leads to more issues!

Quick Reply: Side body molding / wheel well liners- question 2016 SD.