Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150

Ordered SCT Flash Tuner

 
  #1  
Old 07-31-2016, 05:41 PM
frakchered's Avatar
frakchered
frakchered is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 45
frakchered is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ordered SCT Flash Tuner

Ok, just ordered a SCT tuner from MPT. I got put 3 extra tunes on there. I was thinking 87 performance tune, 87 tow tune, and 93 race tune.

Anyone got recommendations?

Please don't make this a battle between 5stars, MPT or anyone else.

I intend to keep my truck stock for now and later down the line adding intake and exhaust.

Thanks.
 
  #2  
Old 07-31-2016, 08:07 PM
srb1194's Avatar
srb1194
srb1194 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 372
srb1194 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's exactly what I have with my SCT. I've been happy with both tunes and never used the 93 tune at all. I leave it on the tow tune all the time now. Raises the shift point for first gear and holds that gear at low speed. I like that for everyday driving. Of course I have a 4 speed and you have 6. I'm probably wrong but I think that helps the transmission. Mine is still original. Not bad for the mileage. Good luck to you.
 
  #3  
Old 08-01-2016, 08:42 AM
MCDavis's Avatar
MCDavis
MCDavis is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: RVA
Posts: 10,393
MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Careful with the 93 Performance tunes as the boost is turned up enough to cause spark blowout (the spark itself, not the plug out of the head). Most tuners recommend new plugs gapped down to .028" to avoid this issue.

I personally run a 87 Perf/Tow in my '13 EB and it pulls quite hard, even with the heavier 275/65/20 KO2s and my 3.31 gears. I did a plug change right at 40k miles just to make sure it was good to go.
 
  #4  
Old 08-01-2016, 04:47 PM
frakchered's Avatar
frakchered
frakchered is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 45
frakchered is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
Careful with the 93 Performance tunes as the boost is turned up enough to cause spark blowout (the spark itself, not the plug out of the head). Most tuners recommend new plugs gapped down to .028" to avoid this issue.

I personally run a 87 Perf/Tow in my '13 EB and it pulls quite hard, even with the heavier 275/65/20 KO2s and my 3.31 gears. I did a plug change right at 40k miles just to make sure it was good to go.
Thanks for the heads up, like you though, I will most likely stay in the tow tune and the 93 race will just be a once in a blue moon weekend play around thing. I just got the truck, so I do not need to hurt it running the tune all the time, not to mention with a 36 gallon fuel tank I don't need to spend the extra cash on 93 fuel either.
 
  #5  
Old 08-01-2016, 06:49 PM
royb
royb is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 162
royb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
Careful with the 93 Performance tunes as the boost is turned up enough to cause spark blowout (the spark itself, not the plug out of the head). Most tuners recommend new plugs gapped down to .028" to avoid this issue.

I personally run a 87 Perf/Tow in my '13 EB and it pulls quite hard, even with the heavier 275/65/20 KO2s and my 3.31 gears. I did a plug change right at 40k miles just to make sure it was good to go.

I've supercharged many ford motors and never had a problem with spark blow out. I do run a colder plug and slightly gap them down. I've ran 13lbs of boost on pump gas. a datalog will show if you ever have the issue.
 

Last edited by royb; 08-01-2016 at 06:50 PM. Reason: spelling
  #6  
Old 08-01-2016, 07:10 PM
MCDavis's Avatar
MCDavis
MCDavis is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: RVA
Posts: 10,393
MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by frakchered View Post
Thanks for the heads up, like you though, I will most likely stay in the tow tune and the 93 race will just be a once in a blue moon weekend play around thing. I just got the truck, so I do not need to hurt it running the tune all the time, not to mention with a 36 gallon fuel tank I don't need to spend the extra cash on 93 fuel either.
I'm running 93 octane on the 87 tune. Keeps the knock retard down a bit. Either way, sounds like you're on the right track.

Originally Posted by royb View Post
I've supercharged many ford motors and never had a problem with spark blow out. I do run a colder plug and slightly gap them down. I've ran 13lbs of boost on pump gas. a datalog will show if you ever have the issue.
I've logged a few times and the tuner hasn't found any issues yet. It's been attached to the truck for about 9k miles. Currently seeing 19lbs of boost at peak and around 15lbs during regular driving. Apparently the 93 tunes will see 20-21lbs of boost typically.
 
  #7  
Old 08-01-2016, 07:55 PM
frakchered's Avatar
frakchered
frakchered is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 45
frakchered is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by royb View Post
I've supercharged many ford motors and never had a problem with spark blow out. I do run a colder plug and slightly gap them down. I've ran 13lbs of boost on pump gas. a datalog will show if you ever have the issue.
Good to know. I will look into it once I get my tunes and the flash tuner.

Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
I'm running 93 octane on the 87 tune. Keeps the knock retard down a bit. Either way, sounds like you're on the right track.

Yeah I had thought about that. I was on the website and they were talking you can run the higher octane with the lower octane tune, you just can't do the opposite as it will retard the timing because of the knock sensor.

I've logged a few times and the tuner hasn't found any issues yet. It's been attached to the truck for about 9k miles. Currently seeing 19lbs of boost at peak and around 15lbs during regular driving. Apparently the 93 tunes will see 20-21lbs of boost typically.
Also good to know.

Do both of you keep the flash tuner attach to use as a gauge or do you run different set up for gauges?

I bought the X4 SCT and I am able to use it to keep an eye on some of the readings.
 
  #8  
Old 08-01-2016, 08:07 PM
NASSTY's Avatar
NASSTY
NASSTY is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ME
Posts: 2,270
NASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to all
No need to keep it attached unless you are data logging.
 
  #9  
Old 08-02-2016, 06:01 AM
frakchered's Avatar
frakchered
frakchered is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 45
frakchered is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by NASSTY View Post
No need to keep it attached unless you are data logging.
Is that what I would use running the MPT tunes to help them fine tune there tune should there be any issues?
 
  #10  
Old 08-02-2016, 07:10 AM
QwkTrip's Avatar
QwkTrip
QwkTrip is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,620
QwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to behold
Choose a tune you can live with all the time because in reality you'll end up running that tune all the time.

You don't just put in a 93 tune for a Sunday drive and switch back on Monday. It takes 2 tanks of fuel to flush out lower octane fuel and really have 93 on board. That is 1000 miles of driving with your big fuel tank. Each time you flash a file the transmission will feel less refined for a couple days until it relearns your driving style. And 93 race tunes need tight plug gaps - tighter than what you'll run with other tunes, not to mention other supporting mods. Personally, I wouldn't run a 93 race tune on an otherwise stock vehicle.

You data log with a laptop connected to the SCT tuner. You'll need a config file from MPT to capture the data they want to see.

I use a custom 91 tune for everything + downpipes + intercooler + thermostat
 
  #11  
Old 08-02-2016, 07:08 PM
frakchered's Avatar
frakchered
frakchered is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 45
frakchered is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by NASSTY View Post
No need to keep it attached unless you are data logging.
Originally Posted by QwkTrip View Post
Choose a tune you can live with all the time because in reality you'll end up running that tune all the time.

You don't just put in a 93 tune for a Sunday drive and switch back on Monday. It takes 2 tanks of fuel to flush out lower octane fuel and really have 93 on board. That is 1000 miles of driving with your big fuel tank. Each time you flash a file the transmission will feel less refined for a couple days until it relearns your driving style. And 93 race tunes need tight plug gaps - tighter than what you'll run with other tunes, not to mention other supporting mods. Personally, I wouldn't run a 93 race tune on an otherwise stock vehicle.

You data log with a laptop connected to the SCT tuner. You'll need a config file from MPT to capture the data they want to see.

I use a custom 91 tune for everything + downpipes + intercooler + thermostat
good to know. You got a recommendation for another tune? I already want the 87 performance and tow, I will most likely stay in either one of these unless another can be had to play with on 87 octane or on mid grade.
 
  #12  
Old 08-02-2016, 09:01 PM
QwkTrip's Avatar
QwkTrip
QwkTrip is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,620
QwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
I'm running 93 octane on the 87 tune. Keeps the knock retard down a bit.
You shouldn't have to do that. You're still on that SCT tune, aren't you?
 
  #13  
Old 08-03-2016, 07:55 AM
MCDavis's Avatar
MCDavis
MCDavis is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: RVA
Posts: 10,393
MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by QwkTrip View Post
You shouldn't have to do that. You're still on that SCT tune, aren't you?
Negative. Emailed tunes. That SCT canned tune shifted like dog poo. The emailed tune is muchhhhhhh better.
I have noticed that the 87 P/T does run a little happier on the higher octane and the knock retard at full throttle is less drastic. I know I don't have to, but it's a couple bucks a month and I don't mind it.

Wife's ride is 93 octane as required by the manufacturer so it's easy just to hit 93 at the pump regardless of what I'm filling up that day. Hell, I even run my yard equipment on 93...except the Stihl products as they get nothing but MotoMix
 
  #14  
Old 08-04-2016, 07:32 AM
frakchered's Avatar
frakchered
frakchered is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 45
frakchered is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice, well I know for sure I am going with 87 performance and the 87 tow. I will have to maybe email them to see what I can do as for the 3rd tune. maybe a custom one off or a mix of something.
 
  #15  
Old 08-08-2016, 05:20 PM
frakchered's Avatar
frakchered
frakchered is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 45
frakchered is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow, so I had been riding a few days on the stock canned tune from SCT. And as MCDavis stated man it shifts like poo. Just got my MPT tunes from James at MPT, loaded my 87-89 Towing Street tune. Thing comes to life. Right off the get go the throttle response is nice, I hit about 16.97PSI on the boost. I like so far. I also got the 87-89 Performance Race, and the 91 Performance Race tune. I may have to try the 87-89 Race tune to see how it is. But so far I like the new feel of the truck.
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
johnday
2009 - 2014 F150
0
07-24-2017 09:48 PM
Bohen
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
1
06-09-2017 11:14 PM
chadhump
Ford Truck Parts for Sale
1
06-07-2017 10:38 AM
brandonrr
Vehicles for Sale
4
10-30-2016 03:12 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
2009 - 2014 F150
19
07-03-2016 08:14 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordered SCT Flash Tuner


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: